Thread: BG report on Bruins camp...

Dobber Sports Stud

Default BG report on Bruins camp...

Some possibly helpful notes from the Bruins training camp. Most of these guys are not fantasy worthy, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...camp_wrap.html

July 14, 2007
    Camp wrap
    By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff
    WILMINGTON -- The dressing room at Ristuccia Arena was filled this afternoon with sounds of clacking sticks, as players taped their equipment together for their flights and drives home.

\"It underlines how important it is by seeing the end result,\" said GM Peter Chiarelli of the camp. \"Today, they were a little tired because they put them through the drills over the course of the week. But I think it\'s a real significant thing. You see how the guys compete throughout the week. Looking at their test scores, they now have a reference point going forward into the summer for conditioning. I think it\'s a real important tool that we\'re going to keep on doing.\"

Here are some observations from this week for the Boston-owned prospects, along with projected 2007-08 destinations for the campers:

Byron Bitz

Good size and good hands... Needs to pick up his skating and play more physical.

2007-08: Providence (AHL)

Andrew Bodnarchuk

Steady defenseman with good skating and hockey sense... Nothing flashy... Should get stronger with age.

2007-08: Halifax (QMJHL)

Brock Bradford

Some of the better wheels in camp... Good awareness on the perimeters and in the danger zones... Size will be an issue.

2007-08: Boston College (Hockey East)

Chris Collins

In much better shape than when he arrived in training camp last season... Decent speed and hands... Needs to be scrappier and play with an edge.

Alain Goulet

Fluid skater with good skill set... Needs to put on bulk and develop in college.

2007-08: Nebraska-Omaha (CCHA)

Zach Hamill

Has skill set as advertised by his draft position... Can create offense in tight spaces... Average skating and good release... Projects to be solid two-way center.

2007-08: Everett (WHL)

Matt Hunwick

One of the most impressive players in camp... Terrific skater and excellent hockey sense... Strong for his size and not afraid to mix it up... Could get an NHL callup sooner rather than later.

Martins Karsums

Bowling ball of a player who can skate well and has decent hands... Needs to stay healthy as second-year pro... Might be a third-line winger in the NHL in coming years.

Jordan Knackstedt

Steady player who doesn\'t appear to have major liabilities... Not a flashy forward but appears dependable... Needs time to develop.

2007-08: Moose Jaw (WHL)

David Krejci

Far and away the best player in camp with the best skill set... Showed last year that he\'s capable of dominating AHL... Held back in camp but plays with an edge... Should be a big-leaguer, depending on how Claude Julien deploys his forwards.

2007-08: Boston (NHL)

Matt Lashoff

Got dinged up early (charley horse) and missed two days on the ice... Flashy skater with ability to join the rush and make plays... Could use one more AHL year before joining Boston\'s corps, but will be first among promotions in case of injury.

Mikko Lehtonen

Smooth skater for a player his size... Good release on a heavy shot... Must play more physical.

Milan Lucic

Skilled for a big man and responsible on defense... Can see with several more years of development that he could be a good NHLer... Good straight-ahead skater, but needs to move on quick movement.

2007-08: Vancouver (WHL)

Brad Marchand

One of the more impressive players in camp... Never-quit motor with a heavy shot and no fear of entering danger zones... Good skater who plays bigger than he is.

2007-08: Val-d\'Or (QMJHL)

Adam McQuaid

Size makes him a commodity... Needs to work on side-to-side skating... Could use a few more pounds to play the physical game.

Levi Nelson

Not one of the more heralded prospects, but played his heart out in camp... Good skater, drives to the net, doesn\'t quit... Appears to have taken advantage of finishing 2006-07 with Providence.

2007-08: Swift Current (WHL)

Radim Ostrcil

Raw but has skill set that coaches can work with... Fluid skater with good release if not the hardest shot... Could become an offensive defenseman.

2007-08: Ottawa (OHL)

Wacey Rabbit

Has skill set similar to Martins Karsums... Good skater with okay hands but tireless worker... Third-line winger in pros.

Tuukka Rask

Has the tools (size, quickness, athleticism, awareness) to become elite netminder... Competes and shows confidence on and off the ice... Must put on pounds.

Kevin Regan

Solid performer who will turn out to be a bargain... Hard worker who understands how he can play and what he needs to do... Will carry a heavy workload for the Wildcats.

2007-08: New Hampshire (Hockey East)

Denis Reul

Considered a project but did everything asked of him in camp... Projects to be a defensive defenseman who can hit and play the rough stuff... Will benefit from several years in major junior.

2007-08: Lewiston (QMJHL)

Vladimir Sobotka

With countryman David Krejci, owner of some of the better skills in camp... Good skater, good hockey sense, good hands... Should be a dangerous first-year pro.

T.J. Trevelyan

Went undrafted and under the radar, but showed as first-year pro in 2006-07 that he can score goals... Not the best skater but puts himself in position to contribute offensively... Could be a midseason callup if Bruins need scoring help.

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/07/15 02:20
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re:BG report on Bruins camp...

absolutely everyone got a positive review....

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanx..TG.. nice review..appreciate it.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

I think the reason they all got positive reviews is b/c this is what the team says to the guys about what they really like about them. They likely gave them a longer list of things they can work on.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Can we expect the B\'s to make the playoffs this season? Will Manny and Timmy lead them into a playoff spot??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

I think they\'re still a year away.

Been on vacation, Z? Good to have you back.

I\'m looking forward to my own at the end of the month... Acadia National Park, here I come!!!
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Icon

TG wrote:
    I think they\'re still a year away.

Been on vacation, Z? Good to have you back.

I\'m looking forward to my own at the end of the month... Acadia National Park, here I come!!!
    Haha... that\'s true Z did disappear for a little while... It\'s good to have him back. I missed seeing his avatar.

Z wrote:
    Can we expect the B\'s to make the playoffs this season? Will Manny and Timmy lead them into a playoff spot??
    I think they can/will. Boston has the core to take them to the playoffs (good defense, good offense, good -enough- goalies, good coaching). I think they underpreformed last year, because so much of their season was spent adapting to all the newly aquired free agents and coaches and trying to figure out who their starting goalie was.

Granted, they\'ll again have a goalie identity crisis this year, but the players have all adapted to their roles, and switching between thomas and fernandez is a much sweeter deal than switching between thomas and a still inexperienced toivonen.

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/07/16 12:45
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Sorry boys, I was out of the country for over 2 weeks... Glad to be back. Is the 2007/08 season starting soon?? Damn..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

Zorro wrote:
    Sorry boys, I was out of the country for over 2 weeks... Glad to be back. Is the 2007/08 season starting soon?? Damn..
    Fighting crime and injustice in the small, poor towns of Spain without a doubt...

good to have you back.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

I\'ll be surprised if the Bruins don\'t make the playoffs this season..watch for a turnaround with Julien at the reigns and now they snagged Shaefer which will certainly make them better.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

I agree with Mr. Giraffe, I think they are 1 maybe 2 years away from making the play-offs. The majority of the teams in the East got quite a bit better with the exception of Montreal, Ottawa (didn\'t do much at all) and New York Islanders, Buffalo Sabres, New Jersey Devils (who got worse, although NJ still has Brodeur). I just don\'t see them going from 13th last year to a play-off position with what they did so far in the off season (although it is still early)