Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some things I have found so far.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Some things I have found so far.

Interesting finding in my research

Weiss has a starting salary of $540,000 - now that is cheap points.

Versteeg is pretty cheap as well at $730,000, but it isn't certain he will start the season.

Obviously being injured last season means they carried no value.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Nice find with Weiss! I have Versteeg, because the news of his progress sounds reasonably promising, but I missed Weiss. I grabbed Grabo at 1.94, but Weiss would have been better.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Nice find with Weiss! I have Versteeg, because the news of his progress sounds reasonably promising, but I missed Weiss. I grabbed Grabo at 1.94, but Weiss would have been better.
    You can change your roster up to the puck drop at no cost. I keep tinkering with mine.

Grabo does look undervalued for sure.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just for information purposes, I took the Dobbernomics cats and league set up and punched them into FHG for a 12 team league and used Dobber's guide projections to rank the players. This translated to projected fantasy points (fp) for each and then I plugged in the Dobbernomic's starting salary for each and calculated a $/fp for each player to get a sense of comparative values. Provides some interesting comparisons

I also paid attention to games played projections and calculated a projection for fp per game for each player. Not a lot of surprises here but a few players when healthy definitely will chip in at a higher rate than players of similar total fp projections for the season, who are projected to play more games.

For instance, Malkin is projected to get the most fantasy points per game (slightly more than Ovechkin) even though Dobber is projecting him to miss a fair chunk, so his total fantasy points are down the list some. Looks to be a good deal for the start of the season with his salary somewhat depressed compared to other studs. So his value in terms of $/fp is pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Johansson at $2.77 million is pretty good, especially if he plays top line with Ovi and Backstrom all season. That's a pretty cheap for a top-line player on a team with a lot of offence.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Spezza is the biggest bargain in the game.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Until he gets injured and misses half the season. The guy is talented, but in the last eight years, he's only hit the 80-game mark on two occasions.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

The Great One

When he gets injured you sell him.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't think so - sure he is a good deal, but there are close to 10 much better deals than him and quite a few deals that are slightly better.

Now, having said that - if Spezza remains healthy this season and comes in with a chip on his shoulder at not getting invited to the Olympic orientation camp - then yeah - look out because he will put up some awesome numbers. I wouldn't bet against him at this point.
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

He carries a $7,000,000 cap hit and he's injury prone, how is that good value? I would think, in a salary cap league, he's the type of player to stay far away from - go with more durable guys at more affordable salaries, like the Johansson example.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    He carries a $7,000,000 cap hit and he's injury prone, how is that good value? I would think, in a salary cap league, he's the type of player to stay far away from - go with more durable guys at more affordable salaries, like the Johansson example.
    Welcome to Dobbernomics, Ross - where a player's contract value floats depending on how many people own him. Spezza's starting salary for this season in Dobbernomics is quite low in comparison to other players.

Dobber Sports Guru

When he gets injured you sell him.
    Problem is, everyone sells him, his value goes down, you lose money.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Problem is, everyone sells him, his value goes down, you lose money.
    But if you own injury prone guys, you make sure to keep a trade in hand every week. So Spezza gets hurt Saturday. A large % of the league has blown all their trades on Thursday morning. As soon as you get the injury news you make your trade, while other teams sit there and stew.

Also, I believe a player's value can change by a max of $250,000 per day, so if you pick up a player for $3 million, and he is worth $6 million when he gets hurt, you still have a net gain if it takes you a few days to drop him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I don't think so - sure he is a good deal, but there are close to 10 much better deals than him and quite a few deals that are slightly better.

Now, having said that - if Spezza remains healthy this season and comes in with a chip on his shoulder at not getting invited to the Olympic orientation camp - then yeah - look out because he will put up some awesome numbers. I wouldn't bet against him at this point.
    He may not be the greatest bargain, but I think he is one of the guys with the greatest potential for a fast and dramatic increase in value. If he and Ryan click early, and he manages to stay healthy for a couple of months you might easily double your investment.

Dobber Sports Initiate

In future seasons I would love to see a Watch List feature added to Dobbernomics. Good way to keep an eye on players of interest.