Thread: Rice or Lynch

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Rice or Lynch

12 team keep 4 ppr. I finished dead last and have the 1st pick in a 12 round ladder draft. I was able to acquire and additional 3,4,5 round selection. Because I traded away so many guys and finished dead last, I only have 3 keeper worthy players (Forte, MJD, Cobb). Lucky for me that the owners of Rice and Lynch have many options to select from their rosters and have made these two guys available. We have a flex position so I would be able to start all 3 rb's next year. Who would you rather have for this upcoming season and the one after?

Dobber Sports Wizard

You can't go wrong either way because both are studs, but I'd take Lynch. I feel the addition of Harvin will open up the run game and passing game (some dump passes to Lynch at times), creating mismatches. That offense is going to move the ball. Their defense will likely create some turn overs, giving them more offensive opportunities. I also look at the teams in their division: N.O., S.F. and they have some offenses that can score which may lead to some shootouts. And even if they don't, Seattle can just run the ball to keep these other teams' offenses off of the field.

In contrast, Baltimore lost Reed and Lewis. They may be trailing in games more often than Seattle will be this year. And after the year Flacco just had, I'm sure he'll be chicking the ball all over the field. With that said, Rice will get his. I just think Lynch's chances will be more often and premium.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    You can't go wrong either way because both are studs, but I'd take Lynch. I feel the addition of Harvin will open up the run game and passing game (some dump passes to Lynch at times), creating mismatches. That offense is going to move the ball. Their defense will likely create some turn overs, giving them more offensive opportunities. I also look at the teams in their division: N.O., S.F. and they have some offenses that can score which may lead to some shootouts. And even if they don't, Seattle can just run the ball to keep these other teams' offenses off of the field.

In contrast, Baltimore lost Reed and Lewis. They may be trailing in games more often than Seattle will be this year. And after the year Flacco just had, I'm sure he'll be chicking the ball all over the field. With that said, Rice will get his. I just think Lynch's chances will be more often and premium.

I share the same views. Are you concerned at all about Lynch missing time due to his DUI case from last year?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post

Another in agreement for Lynch. Plus Rice has Pearce to worry about again and that's a year long headache I hated having last year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I generally prefer Lynch too (and am the opposite of psyched about Pierce's presence if I'm a Rice owner).

But in a PPR? I think I actually favor Rice. That is the one significant downside of Lynch, which I think will only be exacerbated with Harvin now on he roster. Lynch probably has the higher "value", but I'd not at all be surprised if Rice finishes with better point totals in a PPR.
    Last edited by dejeanneret; July 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I generally prefer Lynch too (and am the opposite of psyched about Pierce's presence if I'm a Rice owner).

But in a PPR? I think I actually favor Rice. That is the one significant downside of Lynch, which I think will only be exacerbated with Harvin now on he roster. Lynch probably has the higher "value", but I'd not at all be surprised if Rice finishes with better point totals in a PPR.

I agree that Rice is the better option. Probably another top 5 finish. But the owner changed gears and started asking for my 1st and 2nd round picks (both first picks in the round). So I ended up going the cheaper option Lynch, who cost me a 2nd and 4th.

Now the question is do I grab my 4th RB with pick 1.01 or reach on a wr to line up with Cobb?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I agree that Rice is the better option. Probably another top 5 finish. But the owner changed gears and started asking for my 1st and 2nd round picks (both first picks in the round). So I ended up going the cheaper option Lynch, who cost me a 2nd and 4th.

Now the question is do I grab my 4th RB with pick 1.01 or reach on a wr to line up with Cobb?
    Tough call. Would depend for me on how many RBs and WRs are off the board as keepers, snake or non-snake (sounds like a non-snake), etc. Under normal circumstances in a PPR, I'd be very inclined to select a studly receiver if one is available. Lynch and Forte is a great start at RB (though I must say that I'm more than a bit concerned about MJD from here on out), and then paired with Cobb and another high quality WR -- very nice core to have.

If there aren't any really dynamic receivers available who could be justified at 1.01, any chance you can trade back a bit and load up with some extra picks in the process? Otherwise, what RBs do you think will be available?
    Last edited by dejeanneret; July 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm hoping I can trade down from the top spot but no one is very interested yet. I would imagine with the hype surrounding certain players, I may be able to at the draft. As it stands now the following will be available for me...best available

Wr: amendola, welker, garçon, shorts, Wallace, nicks, decker, t smith, colston
    RB: miller, bell, ball, ivory, SJax, Murray, Matthews, gore
    Qb: rg3, Wilson, romo, Peyton

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm hoping I can trade down from the top spot but no one is very interested yet. I would imagine with the hype surrounding certain players, I may be able to at the draft. As it stands now the following will be available for me...best available

Wr: amendola, welker, garçon, shorts, Wallace, nicks, decker, t smith, colston
    RB: miller, bell, ball, ivory, SJax, Murray, Matthews, gore
    Qb: rg3, Wilson, romo, Peyton
    Gotcha. With those choices, I think I'd likely take Miller. Only receiver I'd think about in that slot is Welker, but that seems like a bit much. I'd then think (hope?) that someone like Amendola or Colston will be there for you at 2.01. And with the extra picks you have in rounds 3, 4 and 5, you can hopefully get a solid QB while loading up on more receivers.

Drafts are always so fluid, but these are my preliminary thoughts of how I think I'd play it anyhow.

Dobber Sports Sage

Rice will have 40 more receptions than Lynch.

In a PPR, gimme Rice.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I share the same views. Are you concerned at all about Lynch missing time due to his DUI case from last year?
    His DUI was tabled for an indefinite amount of time. He's a lock to start the season as his court proceedings are not until next summer now.

With that in mind, I am a Lynch owner and I simply feel more comfortable having Lynch over Rice. Rice won't lose a lot of carries to Pierce but he will lose some. Lynch will only lose carries because the throwing game takes over late in the 3rd or 4th QR when they're stomping teams, or if his back acts up.
    I don't think you can really go wrong with either, I am just saying I feel a little more comfortable having Beastmode over Rice.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Tough call. Would depend for me on how many RBs and WRs are off the board as keepers, snake or non-snake (sounds like a non-snake), etc. Under normal circumstances in a PPR, I'd be very inclined to select a studly receiver if one is available. Lynch and Forte is a great start at RB (though I must say that I'm more than a bit concerned about MJD from here on out), and then paired with Cobb and another high quality WR -- very nice core to have.

If there aren't any really dynamic receivers available who could be justified at 1.01, any chance you can trade back a bit and load up with some extra picks in the process? Otherwise, what RBs do you think will be available?

Great advice. But you're at post 666 buddy, do something quick!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Chill View Post
    His DUI was tabled for an indefinite amount of time. He's a lock to start the season as his court proceedings are not until next summer now.

With that in mind, I am a Lynch owner and I simply feel more comfortable having Lynch over Rice. Rice won't lose a lot of carries to Pierce but he will lose some. Lynch will only lose carries because the throwing game takes over late in the 3rd or 4th QR when they're stomping teams, or if his back acts up.
    I don't think you can really go wrong with either, I am just saying I feel a little more comfortable having Beastmode over Rice.

That was the only condition that was holding the trade up. Now that that's out of the way, I'm really happy I landed Lynch at the price I did. I'll just be sure to handcuff him. I have terrible luck with RB's and injuries in this league.

Thanks for all the feedback on this guys. Rep where I can

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Great advice. But you're at post 666 buddy, do something quick!
    Ha! Thx for the heads up -- this oughta do it!