Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why John Tavares will be no Sidney Crosby

I...am your father.

Default Why John Tavares will be no Sidney Crosby

Just a short and sweet rant here.
    I have seen Tavares play on several occasions and each time I left the arena, it was because I was excited about a different player. One time it was Patrick Kane and Sergei Kostitsyn. Another occasion it was Brett MacLean. etc etc.

The skill is there. I have seen Tavares do some amazing moves and his intelligence and vision is better than anyone\'s. But...where is the effort? I don\'t mind if a player hangs around the blueline a lot waiting for an opportunity, but I don\'t like to see a guy waving his stick at the play instead of moving to the play. I don\'t like to see the legs constantly moving slowly.

Not a huge deal. I\'m no pro scout, so I\'m sure the hype goes deeper than what I have been seeing. And Tavares was a monster at the WJC. But the main reason Tavares will never be a Crosby or an Ovechkin - would Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin...at ANY level of their career...have allowed their team to lose 11-0 in a playoff game where their backs were against the wall?

The Oshawa Generals were down three games to one to an admittedly great team in Belleville...and they got hammered 11-0. That\'s just disgusting. Sid and Ovy would never have let it get to that point.

Tavares will be more of a Spezza than a Crosby. 120-point upside, not 160.

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

seems like the perfect guy for the Leafs to tank a season so as to pick 1st overall ...

who did impress you in that game?
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Guru

glad someone with more credibility said before i did.

leafs will only have to be the second best sinking ship... tavares won\'t go 1st overall (there, i said it).

Dobber Sports Master

Thx for the breakdown on Tavares.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have seen Tavares play aswell and I do understand what dobber is talking about. He is a player that knows what lies ahead of him as far as the NHL goes. Next year is his draft year so watch Tavares have a huge year. Its just what happens, especially with a player like Tavares.

Tavares will go 1st overall, no questions asked. No team will pass on the \"potential\" of this kid. UltraWhite you are betting against a sure thing.

But yes, the way he played this year, looks like he could fit in nicely with the buds in T.O.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The Spezza analogy was excellent. I like how Dobber does an NHL comparison for most of the prospects in his prospect report. Tavares being compared to Spezza is right on the money. Seems like he has talent galore but lacks that extra edge to win. For great players to become exceptional they need to have that mojo.

No doubt he will be the #1 pick though. It\'s interesting how tsn polled 10 scouts and 7 of them said they would take Stamkos ahead of Tavares if Tavares was eligible for this year\'s draft. I think the breakdown was:

Stamkos: 7 1st, 3 2nd
    Tavares: 3 1st, 5 2nd, 2 3rd
    Doughty: 0 1st, 2 2nd, 8 3rd

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=217783
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Master

Just found out and read about Hedman a few weeks ago.
    Good to hear his name mentioned.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Initiate

With a guy like Hedman available next year, Tavares is no sure bet for first... Likely? Yes... Absolute? No... It will depend on what the team drafting first overall has a greater need for. Lets assume for a second that a team like, say, Phoenix has the 1st overall pick. Do they really need Tavares to add to their already impressive list of young forwards? I dont think so... Now what would Hedman mean to a team like that? 2 stud young centers, 2 stud young goal scoring wingers, good veteran forward leadership and great young goalie, and an aging Jovo cop on the blue line as thier only sure thing. Hedman would probably be the pick if I were the GM. But hey that\'s just me...

Dobber Sports Master

If LA had first pick this year I could have see Doughty go first. It all depends on the need of the team drafting.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think 2009 draft will look like 2006 draft were we had Kessel and Johnson... Kessel was hyped to be as good as crosby.. but in the end Johnson went first and kessel dropped all the way to 5th... I really think we will have to wait and see how 2009 draft will lay out.. does tavares get better? or does Hedman dominate 2009 wjc and zambonies the rink with tavares?

Dobber Sports Master

My vote is for Tavares to go first and Hedman to some how drop so I can pick him up. The champion picks last in my league and I hope to repeat.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

sd1976 wrote:
    With a guy like Hedman available next year, Tavares is no sure bet for first... Likely? Yes... Absolute? No... It will depend on what the team drafting first overall has a greater need for. Lets assume for a second that a team like, say, Phoenix has the 1st overall pick. Do they really need Tavares to add to their already impressive list of young forwards? I dont think so... Now what would Hedman mean to a team like that? 2 stud young centers, 2 stud young goal scoring wingers, good veteran forward leadership and great young goalie, and an aging Jovo cop on the blue line as thier only sure thing. Hedman would probably be the pick if I were the GM. But hey that\'s just me...
    I have to disagree. Even if an offensively stacked team gets 1st overall, no way they pick Hedman or anyone else. The more likely case is they swap picks with either the #2 or #3 team for a kings ransom (pardon the pun) and auction off the pick for players plus. The gap between Tavares and the rest in his draft year is too wide to give it up, in the event that a team don\'t need another forward. I will bet $50 right here that barring a horrific or career threatening injury Tavares goes #1 next year.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Initiate

I agree he will go first overall because he will turn it on next year. Especially in a place like Phoenix where he\'d be reunited with his buddy Brett MacLean. Phoenix have a few underated D\'s starting with Yandle and they can always trade extra F\'s for D\'s. My 2 cents
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Initiate

Also, Phoenix will only get first overall by way of trade as their kids will be much that better with a year of experience.
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Guru

i think phoenix was only brought up as an example.

if i was GM, and i had to pick today, i would pick hedman. i\'m not gonna put money on it, because a lot could change in a year, and it all depends on the team\'s needs. but i would rather have lidstrom over spezza.

i\'m really interested to see how tavares plays next year. it seems to me like its a story of a kid who matured really quickly, but now the other kids will start to catch up. he\'s still a mega talent, but a generational player like crosby? i\'m not sold.