Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    you'll love Poirier. One of the draft's biggest risers.

Love the Flames last couple of drafts. Great scouting IMO
    Thats interesting that you say we will love Poirier as a lot of people that I talked to didnt like the pick at 22 when guys like Shinkaruk were still available.

Time will tell if it was a smart move.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Wanted to post this somewhere as it was an interesting comment. Feaster said that he was very happy to get 3 players in his top 13. A somewhat surprising comment. Some teams lists can vary dramatically from consensus.
    I would love to see his list.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Thats interesting that you say we will love Poirier as a lot of people that I talked to didnt like the pick at 22 when guys like Shinkaruk were still available.

Time will tell if it was a smart move.
    to me Shinkaruk doesn't have the same character or two-way game of a guy like Poirier. Shinkaruk screams bust.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1. jankowski
    2. jankowski
    3. jankowski
    4. jankowski
    5. jankowski
    6. jankowski
    7. jankowski
    8. jankowski
    9. jankowski
    10. jankowski

(feaster then realizes he already drafted this prepubescent kid last year)

11. monahan
    12. poirier
    13. klimchuk

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think his list wouldn't have included N.MacK, Barkov, Drouin, or Jones.. But I agree, I would love to see Feaster's list aswell.. He seems like a horrible GM, I really don't know much about him, but he just seems to fly by the seat of his pants.. Alot of his picks seem to be wildcards and alot of hoping and praying..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I think his list wouldn't have included N.MacK, Barkov, Drouin, or Jones.. But I agree, I would love to see Feaster's list aswell.. He seems like a horrible GM, I really don't know much about him, but he just seems to fly by the seat of his pants.. Alot of his picks seem to be wildcards and alot of hoping and praying..
    Yes it would have for sure. They rank everyone they like.

Also Feaster doesn't make picks nor do most GMs. They get all the credit for nothing.

Yes it would have for sure. They rank everyone they like.

Also Feaster doesn't make picks nor do most GMs. They get all the credit for nothing.
    The GM's have to have some say though, don't they??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    The GM's have to have some say though, don't they??
    yes they tell them what they are looking for out of the picks.

anyway whoever made these picks for Calgary made really good ones as far as I'm concerned. They;ve had two great drafts in a row.

yes they tell them what they are looking for out of the picks.

anyway whoever made these picks for Calgary made really good ones as far as I'm concerned. They;ve had two great drafts in a row.
    I'm not saying they didn't have a good draft.. I'm really not sure, we will definitely know soon enough.. Feaster just seems so sloppy with everything he does, and I would love to see his top 13 list..

Dobber Sports Guru

Poirier pick surprised me, but it's not outrageous and frankly given some other options I think they behaved well.

Ev, what's up with that Kanzig pick though? Flames have hit on a few WTF picks in recent years but that seems a strange way to spend a 3rd round pick.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

to me Shinkaruk doesn't have the same character or two-way game of a guy like Poirier. Shinkaruk screams bust.
    I couldn't disagree more. I was delighted to see Shinkaruk available at 22 and was quite upset when Feaster passed him by. He was ranked on some lists much much higher. I've seen him play for years and his skill is unreal. Imagine Tyler Ennis with more natural scoring ability. Shinkaruk makes his line mates better. Played with Emerson Etem and had 91 points in 60 odd games. Not bad for a second year whl player. Next season Etem moved on and Curtis Valk played on Shinkaruk's line and Valk went from 55 points the year before to 91 points last year. Shinkaruk has crazy puck control and amazing hands. Vancouver stole this kid at 24 and Calgary will regret it.

The only thing I can think of is inside information. Shinkaruk's dad is the Calgary Hitmen's dentist. His father has ties to the Flames. Not sure why he was passed up.
    "dARK wING dUCKS" 2011-2012 CHAMPS

10 Team Points Only Limited Keeper Pool (keep any 12)

Top 12 Forwards, 5 Defense & 2 Goalies Count
    Goals = 1, Assist = 1, Shutout = 3, Win = 2,

F: Kessel, Backstrom, Spezza, Benn, Voracek, Couture, Skinner, Wheeler, Stepan, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Ennis, Brown, Atkinson,
    D: Karlsson, Pieterangelo, Streit, Fowler, Enstrom, Gardiner, Sekera
    G: Price, Rinne, Smith

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Papps View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I was delighted to see Shinkaruk available at 22 and was quite upset when Feaster passed him by. He was ranked on some lists much much higher. I've seen him play for years and his skill is unreal. Imagine Tyler Ennis with more natural scoring ability. Shinkaruk makes his line mates better. Played with Emerson Etem and had 91 points in 60 odd games. Not bad for a second year whl player. Next season Etem moved on and Curtis Valk played on Shinkaruk's line and Valk went from 55 points the year before to 91 points last year. Shinkaruk has crazy puck control and amazing hands. Vancouver stole this kid at 24 and Calgary will regret it.

The only thing I can think of is inside information. Shinkaruk's dad is the Calgary Hitmen's dentist. His father has ties to the Flames. Not sure why he was passed up.
    There's a reason he was passed over by 20+ teams. Can't tell you what that is, but when you have teams who are in dire need of scoring help in the future pass on him, you should be alarmed. Junior stats are junior stats, it's really not a big deal if a guy puts up a ton of points or if he has amazing skill. This guy Valk was in his fourth year so it's not surprising to see the jump. Fact is Shinkaruk stalled/regressed without Etem on his team. I don't think he's a player who will make his linemates better at the next level if he projects as a Kessel type player with less ability.

It also doesn't matter where he was ranked by the scouting services, those don't come into play at the draft. I don't think any team will deny his skill, but that's junior. Clearly teams don't think it will translate as much to the NHL. Rob Schremp was also a guy who had amazing skill and amazing hands. Hands and skill will only get you so far if you don't have it between the ears.

Maybe Calgary did like Shinkaruk but had Poirier ranked slightly above him. We'll never know. But to me them passing on him speaks volume about Shinkaruk.

everyone can have their opinions though, but I don't think people should be upset with anything that happens on draft day, nor should people call guys who fall from the CSS rankings steals automatically. i also don't think guys like me should claim that Shinkaruk will not make it just because he fell past 20 teams.

just saying I know things are frustrating with the Flames but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by Big Ev; July 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    Poirier pick surprised me, but it's not outrageous and frankly given some other options I think they behaved well.

Ev, what's up with that Kanzig pick though? Flames have hit on a few WTF picks in recent years but that seems a strange way to spend a 3rd round pick.
    I don't know who this is.

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't know who this is.
    heh, yeah not many did. he's a facepunching dman from the Victoria WHL team, huge guy, not much skill. Flames picked him with their next pick after Klimchuk, late in the 3rd.

seems like the type of player you take in the 6th or 7th, but who knows.

Ev, you made a real good point about possible rankings. Feaster said Poirier was in their top 10, so let's say he was #10 on their list. Kilmchuk was in their top 13, so it's safe to assume he was #13.

it's not unreasonable to say they maybe had Shinkaruk at #11 or #12.

Dobber Sports Padawan

With a fairly broad amount of draft picks at my league's prospect draft this year, I may end up with a few of Gaudreau/Monahan/Poirier/Klimchuk so I may find myself in here more ofte. And I have to echo Ev's sentiments that it was a great 1st round for the flames, I think both Poirier and Klimchuk were criminally underrated on most lists.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft