Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Ticks

Anyone ever had one? Had my first run-in with a tick today, interested to hear if anyone has had a crazy experience with one

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was at a cottage in Ottawa one weekend with some friends, it was a pretty old dump we rented which was probably infested with all kinds of shit.

Anyway the morning we were to leave I was taking a dump when I could have sworn I saw a hair moving on my quadriceps. I just about lost my shit (literally and figuratively) when I examined it closer and saw the "hair" moving. Keep in mind I had never even heard of a "tick" at the time - I just yanked it out (idiotic move, I know), saw how long it was and realized how deep it must've gone, and subsequently screamed like a little girl.

My friends came in and took a look at it in the toilet (along with my floaters) and told me what it was. Afterward they all ran into their own rooms and stripped down and spent the next half hour examining every hair on their body haha. I looked it up online and realized how dangerous it was to pull one of these things out, but fortunately I managed to extract it cleanly.

I was paranoid as **** during the long drive back to Toronto and swore I could feel a whole army of them crawling underneath the skin of my leg. I immediately checked myself into the ER as soon as we got to the city where they confirmed I was clean haha. Most uncomfortable drive EVER.

Administrator

This one time me and my fire crew went out training and my crew boss picked this tick infested trail. They left me behind to guard the truck so I stayed tick free but they were absolutely covered when they got back. We were still finding ticks in the truck like a week later.

My dad also once had a tick in his belly button, gotta be one of the worst spots to have one burrow in. That one required a hospital trip.

I've actually been very lucky considering where I live (out in the boonies) and my line of work (forest fire ranger) that I've never had one burrow into me. But the ticks are out for sure, I've already come across a bunch this year.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

A couple of years ago I tried singing this in lieu of a come-on line....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vSNiQKAH0E

...didn't work out very well. Maybe it's because I held her for ransom in the heart of the cold cold city. I had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude. They said I was ruthless. They said I was crude. We had..one...thing...in com....wait that was another bar and another song. The terms of my parole prevent me from talking about that one....we should probably pretend that last song quote never happened......

If anybody asks I only quoted Brad Paisley, not the Eagles. Matter of fact, I don't recall any band named the Eagles.....
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I was at a cottage in Ottawa one weekend with some friends, it was a pretty old dump we rented which was probably infested with all kinds of shit.

Anyway the morning we were to leave I was taking a dump when I could have sworn I saw a hair moving on my quadriceps. I just about lost my shit (literally and figuratively) when I examined it closer and saw the "hair" moving. Keep in mind I had never even heard of a "tick" at the time - I just yanked it out (idiotic move, I know), saw how long it was and realized how deep it must've gone, and subsequently screamed like a little girl.

My friends came in and took a look at it in the toilet (along with my floaters) and told me what it was. Afterward they all ran into their own rooms and stripped down and spent the next half hour examining every hair on their body haha. I looked it up online and realized how dangerous it was to pull one of these things out, but fortunately I managed to extract it cleanly.

I was paranoid as **** during the long drive back to Toronto and swore I could feel a whole army of them crawling underneath the skin of my leg. I immediately checked myself into the ER as soon as we got to the city where they confirmed I was clean haha. Most uncomfortable drive EVER.
    LOL literally! Great story.

I actually had my first tick on me last weekend. I was out fishing in a brook near my home and you have to walk a little through some thickits to get to the brook. I did my fishing and went home. When I went upstairs to my kitchen i happened to look down at my right shoulder as I saw a black spec on my white t-shirt. I didnt think about it and simply flicked it off my shirt. What ever it was landed on my counter and started to move. I looked at it and scooped it up with an envelope I had on the counter and quickly recognized it as a tick. I had never personally seen one before so it was a bit of a shock to me. I quickly ripped my t-shirt off and had my son check my back to make sure there were no more on me. I then went into my bedroom and checked the rest of my body over. It was strange to find it on my shoulder as I was wearing a jacket that day. Little buggers can get certainly move around.

Now I am paranoid everytime I go fishing at that brook spot and do a full search when I get home.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

I haven't seen a tick, but I have felt the effects of it.

A couple of years ago, I was bitten by a tick and ended up with Lyme disease. I believe I got bitten in Ottawa (where I live), because I hadn't traveled in a year previously.

I woke up one morning, and my face was half-paralyzed. When I smiled, the right side of my mouth wouldn't curl up, leaving me with more of a frightening half-smile. My right eye wouldn't shut tight. I couldn't wrinkle my forehead on that side of my face. (You can see a picture of me trying to smile, lift my eyebrows and wrinkle my forehead here: http://theryancokeexperience.files.w...524-125318.jpg )

I had a major loss of appetite (lost 20 pounds in a month). Had a weird flu where I was completely exhausted.

I lost reflexes in my legs (you know the test where the doctor bangs your knee and your leg jumps out: it was completely gone).

My legs were so tired that I couldn't climb stairs without using the railing for support. If I was lying on the floor (I had six-month old twin girls at the time, so it was quite often), the only way I could get up was to drag myself to the couch and use my upper body strength in my arms to lift me up.

Walking more than half a block left me extremely tired and needing to take a break. I couldn't run at all.

I had numbness in my toes.

I ended up having a PICC line in my arm (it's a tube that goes up your arm into your chest for daily IVs of medicine).

It took a month of getting daily medicine through the PICC line, and another few months before I could start playing sports and what not again. And I'm considered to be a mild case.

By the way, according to some U.S. state health departments, a bull-eye rash is only present in 35 to 59 per cent of Lyme patients (the Canadian Health Department has a much higher number). I never had the rash.

When I went to the hospital, I was originally misdiagnosed with Guillan-Barre Syndrome, and was treated for that. It wasn't for a month before the tests came back and they told me I had Lyme. And the way the doctor told me was a little strange. She actually said to me: "On the bright side, you don't have HIV. But you do have Lyme disease."

Lyme disease in Canada is massively under reported and misdiagnosed. In the States, there are almost 30,000 cases of Lyme disease a year. But in Canada, that number is between 40 to 60. How can there be such a difference? Is there some sort of electronic fence at the border that wipes out ticks carrying the disease so it doesn’t enter Canada? It just doesn’t make sense.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to give people the heads up. If you start getting weird symptoms, when you go to the doctor or the hospital, tell them you were bitten by a tick so they can at least do some tests. Some doctors won't test for it, because they don't believe Lyme disease is in Canada, so it may take some convincing.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow, now I'm mildly paranoid, living in the tick-haven of Ottawa! These stories are crazier then I thought when I first popped into this thread!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Ha! First thing I thought of was the Brad Paisley song. (My fave country singer).
    I had to wiki it... because I'm pretty sure I've never seen one.
    Wiki has a photo of one burrowing into the scalp of a toddler.

Gah-ROSS!
    Mercy... I hope I never encounter one of these nasty things....

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My dad also once had a tick in his belly button, gotta be one of the worst spots to have one burrow in. That one required a hospital
    I actually had one in my belly button once, luckily I got it out before it could burrow in...
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    LOL literally! Great story.

I actually had my first tick on me last weekend. I was out fishing in a brook near my home and you have to walk a little through some thickits to get to the brook. I did my fishing and went home. When I went upstairs to my kitchen i happened to look down at my right shoulder as I saw a black spec on my white t-shirt. I didnt think about it and simply flicked it off my shirt. What ever it was landed on my counter and started to move. I looked at it and scooped it up with an envelope I had on the counter and quickly recognized it as a tick. I had never personally seen one before so it was a bit of a shock to me. I quickly ripped my t-shirt off and had my son check my back to make sure there were no more on me. I then went into my bedroom and checked the rest of my body over. It was strange to find it on my shoulder as I was wearing a jacket that day. Little buggers can get certainly move around.

Now I am paranoid everytime I go fishing at that brook spot and do a full search when I get home.
    I found it on my left shoulder when I was going to bed after piling lumber, napping, then coaching soccer. I was wearing 2 to 3 layers as well because it had been raining and was pretty muddy/dirty. Never even crossed my mind to check after working outside because I have never had a run-in before. Will definitely be diligent in checking from now on

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Administrator

Newf, I would say that a major reason why Lyme disease is much more rare in Canada is because of the geographical spread. Around where I live in Northwestern Ontario there are only two types of ticks: deer ticks and wood ticks. Only the deer ticks spread Lyme disease and they are pretty rare around here. They are much more common in and around the town 200 km south of us, right on the US border but have been steadily spreading north in recent years. This year we had a pretty cold winter, which I imagine stunted their spread a bit.

In the US there are several different species of ticks and more than a few of them carry Lyme disease. Add that with the huge population difference between Canada and the US and voila.

I'm not saying that Lyme disease isn't going under reported in Canada but basically everywhere in the US has ticks. Above the 49th parallel we don't have so many, particularly with regard to the Lyme disease carrying deer ticks. It's true that these bastards are spreading farther and farther north each year so I'd imagine that Lyme disease will become more prevalent as the years go on.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

I have never even heard of ticks before this thread!

Funny stories!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I found two latched in my dog's ears this morning. Disgusting little creatures they are.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Icon

I found one on my pup last summer that was swelled up like the one in the photo above. I kept it in a jar for a couple of weeks and it never seemed to return to its natural size.

They are creepy little sh*ts, that's for sure. There is a lot of misinformation out there on them though. I'm still not sure if they actually "burrow" under the skin or if it's something in their saliva that makes the skin swell giving the appearance of burrowing when they are actually just latched on.

The whole pulling them out thing and their heads breaking off in your bloodstream seems more like an old wives tale to me. There are only certain species (black-legged being one I believe) that can transmit Lyme disease. So it's much easier for the doctors if you keep the tick and bring it with you when you go to get checked out.

I grew up in the country, ticks are a fact of life for me. Anytime we go camping, we always have to check each other for ticks. Which is part of the reason that camping in NS is so much fun (as long as you have a hot friend to go with).

Dobber Sports Genius

Had one on me last week , ugliest bastards when they're "full blown".

They should make a horror movie about ticks , I'm serious , look at
    the pic again and look at the "full blown" tick , imagine a few of those hanging off you!

Common practice here to check each other & pets regularly for them.

The Lyme disease issue is real , I have an uncle who sufferd with the disease after being
    infected from a tick.
    He had a long road to recovery.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack