Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Canada's Goalie at the Olympics?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I would probably guess ...

Canada:

1) Luongo
    2) Price
    3) Brodeur / Smith / Crawford ---- Marty is my best guess

USA:

1) Quick
    2) Howard
    3) Anderson
    Exactly what I think for Canada.. Brodeur should be #3, even just to sit on the bench..

Quick will start for the USA.. I could maybe see Miller make his way onto the team instead of Howard..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Exactly what I think for Canada.. Brodeur should be #3, even just to sit on the bench..

Quick will start for the USA.. I could maybe see Miller make his way onto the team instead of Howard..
    I've seen a lot of back and forth in this thread about Brodeur as the #3 goalie, but the bottom line is that be brings a lot of experience, and if need be he could still produce in the clutch. I understand the argument for giving another guy the valuable Olympic experience, but I think Marty is exactly what you want in your third option.

As for Team USA, Quick is definitely the #1; that's as good as locked up already. Something terrible would have to happen to change that. The #2 hole isn't so clear, with a number of guys vying for that coveted backup spot (Howard, Miller, Anderson). Right now, I'd say Howard has the inside track and would probably have to tank to lose his spot in the lineup; however, over the past few seasons nobody has been more reliable (when healthy) than Craig Anderson. He's a legitimate option for the 2 spot, and a strong showing in 2013-14 could vault his status to compete for some real playing time.

I don't really see Miller as one of the top candidates for the #2 slot (or even a roster spot at this point), although he did perform admirably at the 2010 VAN games. He's definitely a consideration, but unless he has a spectacular season (unlikely in BUF), I just don't see the logic in giving him a roster spot over guys like Howard/Anderson who have been really solid the past couple seasons. Miller has basically one good season, in which he won the Vezina, but otherwise he's a pretty average goalie. Not one of the top3 Americans, IMO.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

At this point I've gotta go with Lu/Crawford/Price for Canada (definitely NOT Brodeur... hell he's not even #1 on his own team).

For the US I'd go Quick (lock) and toss-up between Anderson/Howard/Schneider/Miller depending on who's hot. Hard to rule out Miller considering he was the best in the entire tourney last time.

The Americans definitely have an embarrassment of riches in goal. Hell, I think Canada is probably below-average in net relative to the other countries.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

And for the record, I really don't think Canada is thinking about any other tournament other then the one that will be taking place in Sochi.. I honestly don't think team management is sitting there saying, "Hmmmmm, we really should bring a 3rd goalie who is young and can maybe start for us 4 years down the roa, because he was a 3rd this year for us".. That would be a horrible way of doing things..

Who was the 3rd goalie last Olympics?? Wasn't it Fluery?? Well that didn't work out well for this Olympics.. I think they either go with experience(Brodeur) or the hot hand(Smith, Ward, Crawford, Dudnyk, Fleury, Allen, Mason, etc..)

And anyway Luongo can still play in another Olympics after this one, and Price is young enough to start in another two Olympics if need be..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    And for the record, I really don't think Canada is thinking about any other tournament other then the one that will be taking place in Sochi.. I honestly don't think team management is sitting there saying, "Hmmmmm, we really should bring a 3rd goalie who is young and can maybe start for us 4 years down the roa, because he was a 3rd this year for us".. That would be a horrible way of doing things..

Who was the 3rd goalie last Olympics?? Wasn't it Fluery?? Well that didn't work out well for this Olympics.. I think they either go with experience(Brodeur) or the hot hand(Smith, Ward, Crawford, Dudnyk, Fleury, Allen, Mason, etc..)

And anyway Luongo can still play in another Olympics after this one, and Price is young enough to start in another two Olympics if need be..
    I very much agree. This is the Olympics, the biggest prize in international hockey and Team Canada expects to win everytime. The only consideration will be which players give the team the best chance to win this tournament, even when considering the 3rd goalie who has almost no shot of playing.

Brodeur is my favourite goalie of all time but I really don't see him making the cut this time around. His injury problems of late and having to share the creas with Schneider don't help his cause. I see Luongo/Price/Crawford as the picks. The 3rd spot is still wide open but no other Canadian wowed last year. Fleury-lol, Smith-hurt, Ward-meh, Dubnyk-no. Crawford certainly has some doubters but he did exactly what was required of him for the Hawks to win the Stanley Cup, not unlike what is expected of Team Canada's goalie be solid in front of a very good team. Maybe it was coincidence but Fleury won the Cup in '09 and was selected as the 3rd goalie for 2010. My money is on Crawford after winning the Cup in 2013 makes the 2014 Team.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR