Thread: Studs & Duds - Thursday, May 2

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Studs & Duds - Thursday, May 2

Unknown to me I have had phone and email issues for the past couple of days (fixed now, got the new Sony Xperia ZL ). I was starting to think that people didn't like me anymore.

Anyways, newfcollins sent me his duds for the week but I didn't receive the email. So please accept my apology and enjoy newf's duds for this week. A very enjoyable read, as always.

Duds

Brian Gionta: The Hab forward seems to be captain in name only. He was pretty much invisible most of the night, and finished with no points, a minus-two, two shots, and one hit. With the amount of ice time he gets, he needs to be better.

Brad Richards: The $7-million man just didn’t show up on the stat sheet much. No points, a minus-one, one blocked shot, one hit. At least he helped out in the faceoff dot, winning 10 of 19 faceoffs.

Mike Ribeiro: A lot of zeroes for someone who wants a big-money long-term contract this summer. Zero points, three shots, a hit, and three-for-12 in faceoffs.

Corey Perry: In two playoff games, the Ducks have seven goals. Perry hasn’t been in on any of them. He had three shots and five hits last night, so he is contributing, but not on the scoresheet.

Honourable mention:

Sens faceoff guys: Except for Zach Smith (an amazing 11 and 2 faceoff record), the Senators were horrible on faceoffs last night. The rest of the team went 15 and 38. Kyle Turris was the worst at 7 and 17.

Ducks faceoff guys: Much like the Sens, the Ducks had one good faceoff guy. In this case, it was Saku Koivu, who won 11 of 16 faceoffs. The rest of the team was 14 and 35, for 28.6 per cent.

Kings offence: They’re now at two goals in almost seven periods of hockey. Not good for anyone who chose them in pools.

The Gryba hit on Eller: The hit was clean. I wanted to put this here because of the reaction it caused. My daughters are two years old, and they’re just starting to watch hockey with me. When the hit happened, one of my girls could tell something was wrong. She went very quiet for a minute. She then started crying unless we turned off the game, saying she was scared. Anything that freaks out my daughter like that is a dud.

STUDS

Agent Smith once said the following phrase in “The Matrix Revolutions”
    You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?

The reason is simple, Craig Anderson is a damn good goalie that stopped 48 out of 50 shots to secure the 4-2 win. In regulation no less, not 50 shots with double overtime.

In addition to that stat, over half of the total shots came in the second period. Anderson faced 27 shots in the second and let in two. To put things in perspective for you, Anderson faced more shots in 20 minutes, than Jonathan Quick faced the ENTIRE game.

If Anderson can continue to play the way he has been lately then you are more than likely going to see Ottawa in the second round.
    Especially if he can keep his save % around the .960 mark, like he did last night.

PB & J anyone? Makes for a tasty snack, unless you’re the LA Kings!

LA got out to an early lead in the 1st period with a Dustin Brown powerplay marker. After that Elliott shut the door to keep the Blues in the game.

Then Patrik Berglund and Barret Jackman took over where Steen left off. Berglund crashed the net and tied the score less than four minutes into the second period. Jackman took a page out of LA’s book and scored with less than a minute remaining to give St.Louis the go ahead goal. That goal ended up being the game winner and the Blues clearly have the advantage in the series.

In addition to their goals, Berglund also added 3 shots, 1 blocked shot, 4 hits and 2 takeaways. Jackman added 2 penalty minutes, 2 shots on goal, 2 blocked shots and a hit. They both also finished as plus one players.

Holt-by Braden, Holt Holt-by Braden! (Sang to the tune of “Help Me, Rhonda” by The Beach Boys)

Braden Holtby stood on his head last night and then some. He faced 36 shots on goal and only let one in, which happened to be the opening goal in the first period. Now granted he didn’t face nearly as many shots as Craig “Matrix Master” Anderson but 35 saves is still a decent night’s work.

The Caps lead the series 1-0 and that is largely due to the stellar play of Holtby. He also finished the night with a very respectable save % of .972

Making the most of limited ice-time.

Damien Brunner arrived with plenty of hype, and the skills to go with it. During the regular season his TOI was up near the 16-18 minute mark to begin with and then tapered off significantly. This SHOULD be in large part to the grueling 82 game schedule that some rookies have a hard time adjusting to …

But hang on, this season was only 48 games so what’s his excuse? For a start he plays for Detroit and we all know how they like to treat the newbies. If you’re not producing then you’re gonna be sitting.

That did not stop Damien last night, in just under 12 minutes of ice-time he ripped it up with a goal, 2 assists, 2 penalty minutes, 2 shots on goal and 2 hits. In a 5-4 game the plus 1 is irrelevant.

Detroit are doing it right with this talented youngster. Sheltered minutes maybe, but look at what he can do when playing with the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen, with limited ice-time!

DUDS

Raphael Diaz – Dude, there’s a reason it’s called a “Suicide Pass!” You’re young, you’re talented and I sure-as-shittake mushrooms know you won’t do that again.

Brendan Shanahan and the “Wheel of Justice” – Eric Gryba is suspended 2 games for a clean hit that has been referred to as a “good hockey play”. Cooke avoids a hearing after severely injuring Karlsson in what was also deemed, a “good hockey play”. Are you going to suspend the ice at the Bell Centre for 2 games as well? That is what caused the majority of Eller’s injury afterall!

Lars, I wish you the speediest of recoveries. Get well soon.

Rick Nash – You’re not helping my Dobber Forum playoff pool chances! Yes it’s great you had 8 shots on goal but we don’t count that stat so next time, get them in please.
    Last edited by sixhands; May 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    STUDS

Agent Smith once said the following phrase in “The Matrix Revolutions”
    You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?

The reason is simple, Craig Anderson is a damn good goalie that stopped 48 out of 50 shots to secure the 4-2 win. In regulation no less, not 50 shots with double overtime.

In addition to that stat, over half of the total shots came in the second period. Anderson faced 27 shots in the second and let in two. To put things in perspective for you, Anderson faced more shots in 20 minutes, than Jonathan Quick faced the ENTIRE game.

If Anderson can continue to play the way he has been lately then you are more than likely going to see Ottawa in the second round.
    Especially if he can keep his save % around the .960 mark, like he did last night.

PB & J anyone? Makes for a tasty snack, unless you’re the LA Kings!

LA got out to an early lead in the 1st period with a Dustin Brown powerplay marker. After that Elliott shut the door to keep the Blues in the game.

Then Patrik Berglund and Barret Jackman took over where Steen left off. Berglund crashed the net and tied the score less than four minutes into the second period. Jackman took a page out of LA’s book and scored with less than a minute remaining to give St.Louis the go ahead goal. That goal ended up being the game winner and the Blues clearly have the advantage in the series.

In addition to their goals, Berglund also added 3 shots, 1 blocked shot, 4 hits and 2 takeaways. Jackman added 2 penalty minutes, 2 shots on goal, 2 blocked shots and a hit. They both also finished as plus one players.

Holt-by Braden, Holt Holt-by Braden! (Sang to the tune of “Help Me, Rhonda” by The Beach Boys)

Braden Holtby stood on his head last night and then some. He faced 36 shots on goal and only let one in, which happened to be the opening goal in the first period. Now granted he didn’t face nearly as many shots as Craig “Matrix Master” Anderson but 35 saves is still a decent night’s work.

The Caps lead the series 1-0 and that is largely due to the stellar play of Holtby. He also finished the night with a very respectable save % of .972

Making the most of limited ice-time.

Damien Brunner arrived with plenty of hype, and the skills to go with it. During the regular season his TOI was up near the 16-18 minute mark to begin with and then tapered off significantly. This SHOULD be in large part to the grueling 82 game schedule that some rookies have a hard time adjusting to …

But hang on, this season was only 48 games so what’s his excuse? For a start he plays for Detroit and we all know how they like to treat the newbies. If you’re not producing then you’re gonna be sitting.

That did not stop Damien last night, in just under 12 minutes of ice-time he ripped it up with a goal, 2 assists, 2 penalty minutes, 2 shots on goal and 2 hits. In a 5-4 game the plus 1 is irrelevant.

Detroit are doing it right with this talented youngster. Sheltered minutes maybe, but look at what he can do when playing with the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen, with limited ice-time!

DUDS

Raphael Diaz – Dude, there’s a reason it’s called a “Suicide Pass!” You’re young, you’re talented and I sure-as-shittake mushrooms know you won’t do that again.

Brendan Shanahan and the “Wheel of Justice” – Eric Gryba is suspended 2 games for a clean hit that has been referred to as a “good hockey play”. Cooke avoids a hearing after severely injuring Karlsson in what was also deemed, a “good hockey play”. Are you going to suspend the ice at the Bell Centre for 2 games as well? That is what caused the majority of Eller’s injury afterall!

Lars, I wish you the speediest of recoveries. Get well soon.

Rick Nash – You’re not helping my Dobber Forum playoff pool chances! Yes it’s great you had 8 shots on goal but we don’t count that stat so next time, get them in please.

Entertaining. Great work, six.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury