Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two game suspension for Gryba

Dobber Sports Ace

Almost al the TV NHL talking heads said it was a good clean hit that had bad consequences, and commented on the suicide pass.

Look at Prusts comments on Paul MaClean. This from a guy who was suspended last year in the playoffs for elbowing Volchenkov in the head. Think the Habs might be coming unglued if they try hitting everyone, not their style of game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422280

Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust took offence to comments made by Senators coach Paul MacLean about the Eric Gryba hit on Lars Eller on Thursday night in which MacLean blamed Habs blueliner Raphael Diaz for making a risky pass up the middle of the ice from his own end.

"He's already showed enough disrespect," Prust told the media. "We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say."
    Last edited by cdubb; May 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM.
    Semi-retired

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah I was half convinced the league had some special silver bullet video that proved their case, boy was I wrong. If you can't tell shit from the video then you need to give the player the benefit of the doubt, this is bullshit
    Yep, he starts by showing the worse angle and mentions hitting the head first, which is definitely not clear. But then he actually shows the better angle that shows the initial point of contact is not the head, but instead only mentions how the body is not centered enough. Ridiculous.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Almost al the TV NHL talking heads said it was a good clean hit that had bad consequences, and commented on the suicide pass.

Look at Prusts comments on Paul MaClean. Think the Habs might be coming unglued if they try hitting everyone, not their style of game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422280

Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust took offence to comments made by Senators coach Paul MacLean about the Eric Gryba hit on Lars Eller on Thursday night in which MacLean blamed Habs blueliner Raphael Diaz for making a risky pass up the middle of the ice from his own end.

"He's already showed enough disrespect," Prust told the media. "We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say."
    Prust was responding to MacLean's somewhat provocative comments that he made earlier on the subject. Honestly I don't know why MacLean said what he did, it wasn't horrible or anything but there was just no need of it. As a head coach you're the representative of the franchise, and the game, there's no need to be an ******* (unless you're Torterella)... in that situation you simply say:

"We felt it was a clean but hard open iced hit and were disappointed in the call in on the ice. It's terrible to see any player injured like that on a play and our thoughts and prayers are with Lars Eller, his family and his teammates"

that's the correct way to handle it, you stand by your guy but express concern for the player who was badly injured on the play, it diffuses the situation and shows you have class

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Prust was responding to MacLean's somewhat provocative comments that he made earlier on the subject. Honestly I don't know why MacLean said what he did, it wasn't horrible or anything but there was just no need of it. As a head coach you're the representative of the franchise, and the game, there's no need to be an ******* (unless you're Torterella)... in that situation you simply say:

"We felt it was a clean but hard open iced hit and were disappointed in the call in on the ice. It's terrible to see any player injured like that on a play and our thoughts and prayers are with Lars Eller, his family and his teammates"

that's the correct way to handle it, you stand by your guy but express concern for the player who was badly injured on the play, it diffuses the situation and shows you have class
    Completely agree. This is perhaps the most surprising thing for me out of the whole thing. I expected the NHL to suspend Gryba even if I didn't agree. What I wasn't expecting was going from loving MacLean to thinking he's a little bit of a douche for the way he's handling this so far. He should have just said exactly what you said above.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
    Completely agree. This is perhaps the most surprising thing for me out of the whole thing. I expected the NHL to suspend Gryba even if I didn't agree. What I wasn't expecting was going from loving MacLean to thinking he's a little bit of a douche for the way he's handling this so far. He should have just said exactly what you said above.
    Every NHL commentator for TSN/CBC/Sportsnet said the same thing though - suicide pass Diaz shouldn't have made, clean hit.

Walrus just used the same statement to defend his player. If he doesn't strongly defend his guy, he will lose the respect of players on his team. Maybe harsh statement, but its true.
    Semi-retired

Banned

Every NHL commentator for TSN/CBC/Sportsnet said the same thing though - suicide pass Diaz shouldn't have made, clean hit.

Walrus just used the same statement to defend his player. If he doesn't strongly defend his guy, he will lose the respect of players on his team. Maybe harsh statement, but its true.
    you missed the point entirely...it's not that it's not true, everyone (even the Habs) know that it was a suicide pass... it's simply that when you have a guy badly hurt, bleeding, concussed, etc, emotions are already high, so why stir the pot? Just acknowledge that it was a regretful injury and express your support that the injured player gets better soon, that's the class act way to do it and the smart way to handle it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not a dirty hit at all, sorry. The league only suspended Gryba because it was the playoffs and it got a ton of attention. I don't think it'd have been a suspension in the regular season, not buying that.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Banned

If his name is Chris Pronger he gets no games. That simple.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    If his name is Chris Pronger he gets no games. That simple.
    So true. I still have the memory from the 01 playoffs of Pronger railroading Marcus Ragnarsson of the Sharks while the puck was like, 30 feet away. No penalty called, no suspension, Ragnarsson got hurt on the play.

I hate when star players get away with shit like that.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Pro

Do I have a problem with the hit? No. Do I think Eller deserves to get laid out on that play? Yes. But in todays NHL that is going to be a penalty and a suspension every time, I don't agree with it because I think if you are caught looking for a suicide pass behind you then you deserve to get cranked. But again in todays NHL it is a penalty and a suspension..
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Great hit? Yes
    Dirty hit? No
    Intent? No
    Suspendable? Yes

I don't have an issue with the suspension. I truly feel that great hits can be suspendable in order to keep the peace so things don't escalate. I know many will disagree with my stance but it seems to be a good motive to keep things under control throughout the duration of the playoffs across every series.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ya, I wasn't calling for a suspension at all, but I don't think it's a sham like most others do. I still think he hit head first, and if you hit the head first, their going to suspend you in the current NHL. It wasn't a dirty play, and their was zero intent, so it sucks, but I don't think this is "the end of hitting in the NHL". It's like the NFL when they started cutting down on hitting helmet to helmet. Regardless of your intent, you were going to get suspended if you hit a guy in the helmet with the crown of your helmet. I thought that would kill the game but it hasn't. It's just made the James Harrison's of the world look normal, and the Clay Matthews' of the world adjust and look better. The NHL is transitioning to a place where you have to be sure you don't make contact with a player's head first. You have to hit body first. You can't make the hit Gryba did where you don't hit the chest at all. It's going to take some adjustment, and guys like Gryba who don't deserve to be suspended will get suspended, but it's where they're going. It doesn't eliminate the big hits. Look at Subban in that game.

I may not fully agree with where the NHL is in this regard, and I know most of us here don't, but like the NFL they feel like they have to do something about the optics of head hits and concussions. Combine that with the fact that they want to eliminate the worry of escalation against the player, and their going to suspend the guy every time.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
    I may not fully agree with where the NHL is in this regard, and I know most of us here don't, but like the NFL they feel like they have to do something about the optics of head hits and concussions. Combine that with the fact that they want to eliminate the worry of escalation against the player, and their going to suspend the guy every time.
    Last game Dustin Brown blatantly tried to elbow a STL player in the head, missed and ended up kneeing him. No hearing.

Weber last year grabbed Zetterbergs head, and smashed into the glass so hard it cracked the helmet. No suspension.

Malkin last year in playoffs was running around throwing elbows at the heads of Flyers. no suspensions.

If they CONSISTENTLY applied suspensions for headshots to ALL PLAYERS no one would gripe. Elbows and ramming a players head into the glass using your hands seem quite intentional actions. The players getting suspended are the grinders, or end of rotation Dmen.
    Last edited by cdubb; May 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM.
    Semi-retired

Banned

Last game Dustin Brown blatantly tried to elbow a STL player in the head, missed and ended up kneeing him. No hearing.

Weber last year grabbed Zetterbergs head, and smashed into the glass so hard it cracked the helmet. No suspension.

Malkin last year in playoffs was running around throwing elbows at the heads of Flyers. no suspensions.

If they CONSISTENTLY applied suspensions for headshots to ALL PLAYERS no one would gripe. Elbows and ramming a players head into the glass using your hands seem quite intentional actions. The players getting suspended are the grinders, or end of rotation Dmen.
    yup, couldn't agree more, it's very much a dual system of justice depending on who the offending player is. I am still absolutely floored as to how they didn't throw the book at Weber for that play, I can't imagine a more clearcut case of intent to injure than that. The league is a ****ing joke

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Great hit? Yes
    Dirty hit? No
    Intent? No
    Suspendable? Yes
    DOES NOT COMPUTE! Seriously, how do some people get this to fit together? It's not a dirty hit. The majority of us is in agreement of that. There's no intent to injure, that much is apparent to anyone. How, then, is that a suspendable hit?

This is yet another example of the problem of the suspension process. It doesn't punish dirty/bad plays. It punishes apparently hurting plays. If it's a good, hard hit and a player got caught in a suicide pass, then boo ****ing hoo. Suck it up. This suspension is just complete and utter bullcrap.

The NHL needs to start suspending people based on apparent intent instead of the result of a stupid hockey play. If you make a stupid hockey play and the opposing team punishes you for it with a solid hit, it SHOULD NOT be suspension-worthy! That's ****ing stupid!
    GO WINGS!