10. D.C. Jefferson, Arizona

11. Ryan Griffin, Houston

12. Luke Wilson, Seattle

13. Mychal Rivera, Oakland

14. Levine Toilolo, Atlanta

15. Justice Cunningham, Indianapolis

discuss

Dobber Sports Padawan

Even though it's early, I think Austin is going to be one of the most over drafted players in fantasy this year. I really like his skill set and think he'll be a good wr down the road. But I don't think he'll produce enough to warrant the #1 spot in ppr rankings this year.

In GB, I don't know who will be the top back to own. Both have trouble with blocking and Lacy has that toe injury that caused him to slip in the draft. Whoever emerges as the main carrier should be a decent option. Personally, I like Franklin here. Still don't know if I would expect top 5 numbers(for rookies this year) given how GB just doesn't run the ball well. I wouldn't bother running with Rodgers as my qb either.

I don't know much about Bernard but I get the feeling he could have a rookie season like Chris Johnson did. BJGE is still the early down back and probably goal line back too. I would still put Bernard as a top 5 in my rankings at this point as well.

My #1 and 2 guys right now are Bell and Ball. I expect the steelers to give Bell every chance to succeed and think he can handle 3 down duties (as does Haley). Ball is the most nfl ready rb taken in the draft this year. If the rb1 spot is open for comp this year, McGahee is released (as expected), Ball wins the job and puts up solid rb2 numbers over all.

My top 5 in ppr for this coming year for rookies would be:

Ball
    Bell
    Bernard
    Patterson
    Austin

The guy that I'm targeting in my drafts and should be available late is Swope from Arz. If he wins the wr3 position and plays slot this year, he'll be one of the more productive wr's in this rookie class (year 1).
    Last edited by TheWhale; May 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Even though it's early, I think Austin is going to be one of the most over drafted players in fantasy this year. I really like his skill set and think he'll be a good wr down the road. But I don't think he'll produce enough to warrant the #1 spot in ppr rankings this year.

In GB, I don't know who will be the top back to own. Both have trouble with blocking and Lacy has that toe injury that caused him to slip in the draft. Whoever emerges as the main carrier should be a decent option. Personally, I like Franklin here. Still don't know if I would expect top 5 numbers(for rookies this year) given how GB just doesn't run the ball well. I wouldn't bother running with Rodgers as my qb either.

I don't know much about Bernard but I get the feeling he could have a rookie season like Chris Johnson did. BJGE is still the early down back and probably goal line back too. I would still put Bernard as a top 5 in my rankings at this point as well.

My #1 and 2 guys right now are Bell and Ball. I expect the steelers to give Bell every chance to succeed and think he can handle 3 down duties (as does Haley). Ball is the most nfl ready rb taken in the draft this year. If the rb1 spot is open for comp this year, McGahee is released (as expected), Ball wins the job and puts up solid rb2 numbers over all.

My top 5 in ppr for this coming year for rookies would be:

Ball
    Bell
    Bernard
    Patterson
    Austin

The guy that I'm targeting in my drafts and should be available late is Swope from Arz. If he wins the wr3 position and plays slot this year, he'll be one of the more productive wr's in this rookie class (year 1).

Agree with a lot of what you said, but the Rams moved up into the top 10 to take Austin which says to me that they intend to feature him in this offense. I think an end of the year like 70 catches for 900 yards 45 carries for 350 yards and maybe 8 total touchdowns is completely reasonable in the first year.

If Cordarrelle Patterson steps into the exact same role Harvin had in Minnesota than he could easily be the most productive rookie in 2013. That's putting a lot of faith in Christian Ponder though. Something I'm not willing to do at this point. Patterson is probably the best player with the ball in his hands in this draft, but getting it into his hands is going to be a real issue.

I too am warming to Bell over Lacy, but mainly because of Jonathan Franklin who is my favorite back in this class. I don't know how much of a concern a fused toe is, but it was enough for the Steelers to choose Bell over Lacy so clearly they must know something we don't. If Lacy struggles to stay healthy then I do think Franklin could take the job and never give it back. Bell is in a good situation with a clear path to the starting job, but I just do not like his talent nearly as much as Bernard, Lacy, or Franklin. He reminds me a lot of James Starks in that he is a momentum runner and takes awhile to get up to top speed. He is big and tough to bring down. Give him a hole and he can produce, but if there is nothing there than he is not creative enough to get positive yards.

Giovanni Bernard is also deserving of the 1.01 selection in rookie drafts. He reminds me a little of Ray Rice with less power but more quick change ability. He is definitely the Bengals RB of the future, but as you said his opportunities may be limited at least early in the season.

Montee Ball is the back that I think will be severely over drafted in rookie drafts. A glance at John Fox's history with rookie running backs will show you that he rarely ever gives them enough work their first season to be truly fantasy relevant. Even if Ball is the lead back, Hillman, McGahee, and Moreno are still there and will all get touches if the Broncos elect to keep them all. My gut says that McGahee is released, but anyway you look at it screams committee to me.

I wouldn't argue with Deandre Hopkins at #1 overall either. He is the most polished receiver coming out of this draft. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne in some respects. He understands how to high point passes and is an aggressive catcher. He is easily the best route runner and most technically gifted of the 2013 rookie receivers. He finally gives the Texans an answer across from Andre Johnson. His upside may be limited until Johnson retires, but Hopkins has the highest floor of any receiver in this draft.

Basically if you have one of the top 6 picks in your draft you are looking really strong. Getting one of Austin, Patterson, Hopkins, Bernard, Bell, or Lacy is where you want to be. Keenan Allen and Franklin are just below those 6 and a fine consolation prize. Allen landed in a great spot and shouldn't have too much trouble overtaking Floyd and Alexander if he can get healthy.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    Agree with a lot of what you said, but the Rams moved up into the top 10 to take Austin which says to me that they intend to feature him in this offense. I think an end of the year like 70 catches for 900 yards 45 carries for 350 yards and maybe 8 total touchdowns is completely reasonable in the first year.

If Cordarrelle Patterson steps into the exact same role Harvin had in Minnesota than he could easily be the most productive rookie in 2013. That's putting a lot of faith in Christian Ponder though. Something I'm not willing to do at this point. Patterson is probably the best player with the ball in his hands in this draft, but getting it into his hands is going to be a real issue.

I too am warming to Bell over Lacy, but mainly because of Jonathan Franklin who is my favorite back in this class. I don't know how much of a concern a fused toe is, but it was enough for the Steelers to choose Bell over Lacy so clearly they must know something we don't. If Lacy struggles to stay healthy then I do think Franklin could take the job and never give it back. Bell is in a good situation with a clear path to the starting job, but I just do not like his talent nearly as much as Bernard, Lacy, or Franklin. He reminds me a lot of James Starks in that he is a momentum runner and takes awhile to get up to top speed. He is big and tough to bring down. Give him a hole and he can produce, but if there is nothing there than he is not creative enough to get positive yards.

Giovanni Bernard is also deserving of the 1.01 selection in rookie drafts. He reminds me a little of Ray Rice with less power but more quick change ability. He is definitely the Bengals RB of the future, but as you said his opportunities may be limited at least early in the season.

Montee Ball is the back that I think will be severely over drafted in rookie drafts. A glance at John Fox's history with rookie running backs will show you that he rarely ever gives them enough work their first season to be truly fantasy relevant. Even if Ball is the lead back, Hillman, McGahee, and Moreno are still there and will all get touches if the Broncos elect to keep them all. My gut says that McGahee is released, but anyway you look at it screams committee to me.

I wouldn't argue with Deandre Hopkins at #1 overall either. He is the most polished receiver coming out of this draft. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne in some respects. He understands how to high point passes and is an aggressive catcher. He is easily the best route runner and most technically gifted of the 2013 rookie receivers. He finally gives the Texans an answer across from Andre Johnson. His upside may be limited until Johnson retires, but Hopkins has the highest floor of any receiver in this draft.

Basically if you have one of the top 6 picks in your draft you are looking really strong. Getting one of Austin, Patterson, Hopkins, Bernard, Bell, or Lacy is where you want to be. Keenan Allen and Franklin are just below those 6 and a fine consolation prize. Allen landed in a great spot and shouldn't have too much trouble overtaking Floyd and Alexander if he can get healthy.

I think there's a reason Denver took Ball as early as they did. Fox does have a history of not giving his rookies much of a chance. But McGahee is a strong candidate to be released. Moreno isn't trusted and was only used because their backs are against the wall. And last years 3rd round pick, showed to be nothing more than a change of pace back. Rb's rookie or not, thrive in a Peyton Manning lead offense. The only requirements are to be capable of catching passes and be able to pass protect. Ball fits the bill here. And I think Peyton has more of a say on who starts at rb.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I think there's a reason Denver took Ball as early as they did. Fox does have a history of not giving his rookies much of a chance. But McGahee is a strong candidate to be released. Moreno isn't trusted and was only used because their backs are against the wall. And last years 3rd round pick, showed to be nothing more than a change of pace back. Rb's rookie or not, thrive in a Peyton Manning lead offense. The only requirements are to be capable of catching passes and be able to pass protect. Ball fits the bill here. And I think Peyton has more of a say on who starts at rb.
    Ball is NOT a great pass protector.. Moreno is far and away the best back in pass pro on the roster which is why he got more playing time than Hillman after McGahee went down.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ball is NOT a great pass protector.. Moreno is far and away the best back in pass pro on the roster which is why he got more playing time than Hillman after McGahee went down.
    Well, what happened last season is a little of an apples and oranges comparison. Moreno is a far superior pass pro blocker than Hillman, no debate there. I'm not entirely confident that Hillman even could adequately block me coming off the edge, much less the beasts that roam the defensive side of the ball in the NFL.

But Moreno is by no means indispensable. After all, the guy couldn't crack the active roster for first half or two thirds of the season. It might not be immediate to start the season, but I think this is Ball's team eventually (as far as the backfield is concerned).
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Padawan

I cannot give a definitive answer on who is the better pass protection back on their roster right now. Its too early for me to give my opinion on that. I just know what their depth chart looked like last year. And i totally agree with you that last year, at that particular time and in that circumstance, Moreno was the better option. But that was last year. If the broncos felt that Moreno was the guy for them, they wouldn't have drafted Hillman last year. And they definitely wouldn't have spent a 2nd round pick this year on another rb. Especially when rb was a position that appeared to be the least of their concerns (secondary, edge rusher, o line/d line depth) Ball doesn't have to be great and I don't think I said he ever was, he has to be capable. And Ball is exactly that.

As I stated before, there are many things that need to happen for Ball to be the top back coming out of camp. But if it does play out that way, a Denver Bronco/Peyton Manning running back, is the best/safest fantasy option that will be available from the list of rookies above. Granted there are a lot of talented wr's finding themselves in really good positions and they could go off and have a randy moss type rookie season but how many times has that ever happened?