Page 9 of 240 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Once I wrap up Mad Men, I'm thinking my next series will be the Wire. Hard to ignore given the almost unanimous rave reviews in this thread... and it'll serve as a nice contrast to the slow-burn and heaviness of Mad Men over the past 3 months.

By the time I'm done with the Wire then I should also be done with Book 5 of Game of Thrones which means I can FINALLY enjoy the TV series without it ruining the books for me.
    I guess I will give The Wire a little longer to get me hooked. Everything I read about the show makes it sound like a must watch. I just haven't got it just yet. What I was hoping would happen was something more like the first couple episodes or Breaking Bad, Lost, Prison Break, or Heroes. All of those I was hooked by the end of the first epesode. Breaking bad had me in the first ten minutes. (who doesn't want to be Walter White now? lol)

PS. Closet Glee fan here too, along with a couple others I'm probably not supposed to be a fan of. What can I say, I'm a TV series junkie...

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Disagree McGoo. "Falls to pieces" and f&%^$# garbage is hyperbole. It could be better and it is frustrating but it is still a very entertaining show.
    haha, um OK then I mean if you enjoy it then I that's what is most important right?

I'm just asking you re-examine whether you really do like it or if you've just been lulled into a false sense of satisfaction? Seriously, indulge me, re-watch episode 1 of season 1 where he wakes up in the hospital and has no idea what's going on. Then watch one of those bullshit episodes on the farm where the wife or the kid does something stupid to advance the plot or Shane has one of his implosions and ask yourself if you truly still enjoy it.

at the end of the day I really don't give a shit I guess but the only thing that sucks about it is that if we all held these networks accountable by producing crap (by not watching) they'd stop doing shit like this. The original series was a fantastic premise, lots of promise and they absolutely buried it in mediocrity

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Can someone tell me if I should be continuing to watch The Wire. I have watched the first four episodes, and the show is crawling.

I just finished Game of Thrones, and I am waiting with great anticipation for Breaking Bad to continue. So I can sympathize with blayze, in that I need a new show to dive into.

Do I continue to suffer through The Wire, hoping that I will see some promise, or just swap into Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, House of Cards or OZ.
    You have to stick with it IMO. It's easily one of the best 5-10 shows ever made - personally it's like 1 or 2 for me. I'm surprised you haven't gotten into it though. I was immersed within seconds. Maybe this show just isn't for you but honestly I've never once heard anyone say anything negative about The Wire as a series.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    You have to stick with it IMO. It's easily one of the best 5-10 shows ever made - personally it's like 1 or 2 for me. I'm surprised you haven't gotten into it though. I was immersed within seconds. Maybe this show just isn't for you but honestly I've never once heard anyone say anything negative about The Wire as a series.
    Actually I know several people that didn't 'love' it, can't think of anyone who hated it though!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    haha, um OK then I mean if you enjoy it then I that's what is most important right?

I'm just asking you re-examine whether you really do like it or if you've just been lulled into a false sense of satisfaction? Seriously, indulge me, re-watch episode 1 of season 1 where he wakes up in the hospital and has no idea what's going on. Then watch one of those bullshit episodes on the farm where the wife or the kid does something stupid to advance the plot or Shane has one of his implosions and ask yourself if you truly still enjoy it.

at the end of the day I really don't give a shit I guess but the only thing that sucks about it is that if we all held these networks accountable by producing crap (by not watching) they'd stop doing shit like this. The original series was a fantastic premise, lots of promise and they absolutely buried it in mediocrity
    I am so with you McGoo. I've just come to realize that TWD is a show that I hate watch. I never thought I did that but I totally do. I come for the awesome zombie deaths, the terrible acting and the equally miserable writing and I do so because everyone is watching so it's appointment viewing. And really, the gruesome zombie deaths are always great - they've earned our trust that they can at least get that stuff right but the rest is terrible.

I don't care about most of the characters because they are both poorly written and terribly acted. I'd go on but I don't want to drop spoilers and there's already a thread for this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Actually I know several people that didn't 'love' it, can't think of anyone who hated it though!
    That's what I'm saying, there's no one who walks away from watching that series thinking, "Well that was crap!" Never gonna happen.

Dobber Sports Sage

The Wire is fantastic - chalk up another vote. Gritty and raw.

BUT

Watch Deadwood.

Deadwood. Deadwood. Deadwood. Deadwood.

It is my duty to spread this gem of a show to the entire world. So ****ing worth it.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post

BUT

Watch Deadwood.

It is my duty to spread this gem of a show to the entire world. So ****ing worth it.
    Agreed. Timothy Olyphant was fantastic in it.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post

BUT

Watch Deadwood.

I actually just started Deadwood recently. Very much in on it so far.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Agreed. Timothy Olyphant was fantastic in it.
    Timothy Olyphant is a total boss. I wish I'd realized this like five years ago. Four episodes in I'm digging Deadwood and Justified is just awesome.

Dobber Sports Sage

I do believe I have a man-crush on him. Ian Mcshane's right-hand man, Dan Dority, is unheralded yet fantastic. So many great characters in this show.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Timothy Olyphant is a total boss. I wish I'd realized this like five years ago. Four episodes in I'm digging Deadwood and Justified is just awesome.
    Yeah I really enjoyed the acting in that show (Deadwood, haven't gotten to Justified yet) - Brad Dourif is one of my favourites - very underrated/appreciated IMO.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Can someone tell me if I should be continuing to watch The Wire. I have watched the first four episodes, and the show is crawling.

I just finished Game of Thrones, and I am waiting with great anticipation for Breaking Bad to continue. So I can sympathize with blayze, in that I need a new show to dive into.

Do I continue to suffer through The Wire, hoping that I will see some promise, or just swap into Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, House of Cards or OZ.
    Some folk dont like pizza and beer, so there is no guarantee you will like it. For me, probably its top 3 shows ever made, EVER. I pretty much knew I was witnessing greatness in the first 10 minutes. I never felt like it was crawling. That is weird.

Asking if you should "suffer through it" sounds awfully dramatic. Maybe we've built it up too much on this thread.... and it wont ever meet those lofty expectations?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Some folk dont like pizza and beer, so there is no guarantee you will like it. For me, probably its top 3 shows ever made, EVER. I pretty much knew I was witnessing greatness in the first 10 minutes. I never felt like it was crawling. That is weird.

Asking if you should "suffer through it" sounds awfully dramatic. Maybe we've built it up too much on this thread.... and it wont ever meet those lofty expectations?
    Maybe "suffer through it" was a little over the top, but I have a bad habit for forum reading/writing while watching TV. Given that I am not familliar with the show yet, I may be missing important details because I am not giving the show my undivided attention. I watched all of Sons of Anarchy on my laptop while at work, and because I knew their voices, I didn't need to be actually looking at the screen to know what was happening.

I'll give The Wire more of my attention, and I'll see if I get more into it.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

The Great One

Has Breaking Bad been mentioned yet?

That is definitely a top top show right now, and it's finally coming back for the series finale soon.