Page 41 of 240 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Rylant - just curious.... why do you sign your name at the bottom of every post you make?
    LOL... It is something that I have always done at almost every site I have ever visited. Not really sure why...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Just finished Season One of Neflix Daredevil. Here is my quick review.

SPOILERS....

I really enjoyed the overall tone of the show. It is dark and gritty; it is everything that Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. should be, but isn't. It isn't without it's flaws, but it was a really solid first season. I felt it paid tribute and stayed true to the comics without pandering the fanboys. Cox is fantastic as Murdock as is Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page. The star of the show is Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk/Kingpin. Sadly, I wasn't a fan of Henson's portrayal of Foggy Nelson. I really enjoy how they show Murdock struggling with his Catholicism and what he is doing. Father Lantom is awesome. This was a line from Father Lantom to Murdock which I found particularly awesome; "There is a wide gulf between inaction and murder, Matthew. Another man's evil does not make you good. Men have used the atrocities of their enemy's to justify their own throughout history. So the question you have to ask yourself is, are you struggling with the fact that you don't want to kill this man, but have to? Or that you don't have to kill him, but want to?" Brilliant stuff...

In the comics, Daredevil has super heightened senses, but no super human strength. They really show this in the show; Daredevil is constantly getting beaten up, maybe too much actually? The hallway fight scene was amazing; you will know what I mean when you see it. One thing that they didn't do which disappointed me, was that I expected some sort of glimpse into what we could expect for Season 2. A hint of Bullseye or Elektra the Hand would have been great.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. I give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Rylant
    Really enjoyed this as well!! Didn't expect it to be so gritty. Acting was a bit corny sometimes but the girl who played the secretary was superb and Vincent Dinofrio (sp?) is always fantastic! Highly recommend!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

The Great One

I would like to highly recommend HBO's Silicon Valley. To me, it is a brilliant version of The Big Bang Theory.

Watch this "Jerk Algorithm" and tell me that this isn't brilliant. Warning, some vulgar language.

Rylant
    lol- pretty funny- gonna give it a whirl once i catch up on Gotham.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So I recently started watching Bloodline on Netflix after a few suggestions from my colleagues. Pretty solid show... interesting premise and good acting.

Many are calling it the best Netflix original production to date, but I think that title still belongs to House of Cards... for now.

Dobber Sports Star

I just finished watching season 1 of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. It was really good. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much; I generally don't like network cable television TV shows because they deal with adult issues in a PG-13 realm. For me, sometimes that takes away from what could have been.

The acting was great, the writing was really good too. Sometimes the drama got a little too over the top for me, but overall, I really enjoyed it. I give the first season a respectable 8 out of 10. I hear that the 2nd season isn't very good, but it does pick up again for the 3rd season and on.

Rylant

PS there is a fictitious death metal bands with one of the high school students in it. The band's name is Crucifictorious... LOL brilliant.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would like to highly recommend HBO's Silicon Valley. To me, it is a brilliant version of The Big Bang Theory.

Watch this "Jerk Algorithm" and tell me that this isn't brilliant. Warning, some vulgar language.

Rylant
    This is funny stuff, going to have to watch this.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Administrator

I just finished watching season 1 of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. It was really good. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much; I generally don't like network cable television TV shows because they deal with adult issues in a PG-13 realm. For me, sometimes that takes away from what could have been.

The acting was great, the writing was really good too. Sometimes the drama got a little too over the top for me, but overall, I really enjoyed it. I give the first season a respectable 8 out of 10. I hear that the 2nd season isn't very good, but it does pick up again for the 3rd season and on.

Rylant

PS there is a fictitious death metal bands with one of the high school students in it. The band's name is Crucifictorious... LOL brilliant.
    The best approach is to pretend the second season never happened. The show basically does.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Friday Night Lights
    Absolutely agree with above comments... 2nd season was the worst of the five and (being canceled) ends in the middle of nowhere.
    Don't let that be a turn-off. Season 3,4,5 are good.

My ranks:
    1st season: 5/5
    2nd season: 2/5
    3rd season: 4/5
    4th season: 3/5
    5th season: 5/5
    Great show overall... stick with it... as it does have up & down moments, but IS very good in 3rd & 5th seasons as well.

re: Bloodline
    The "bad brother" actor is incredible in that show. Similar to Spacey in House of Cards, they nailed the casting of that role.
    Reminds me also of how I enjoyed "The Killing", which wasn't greatly written, but had two fabulous actors... the cop duo.
    Oh, back to Bloodline... very good, I'd give it at least 4/5 stars.
    It's a little hard to see Kyle Chandler as anything but Coach Taylor from FNL.
    [But I guess the "cop" is Chandler's new role... and I actually just finished Wolf of Wall Street and remember he also had Chief-of-Staff role in Argo.]
    With Bloodline, they do need to not renew that show.
    I'd be shocked if I could enjoy a 2nd season. (...but I can see them resurrecting a character of interest to give it a whirl, btw, anybody describe how to do the "Spoiler" function in messages.)

re: Daredevil
    I'm in mid-season, it's my current show.

After Daredevil, wife & I will probably watch Season 3 of Orange is the New Black (out soon I believe) and then get Netflix discs so we can watch final Season 3 of Newsroom.

Network TV... meh.
    We have ONE show we are watching right now, which is a low-budget mini-series called "Wayward Pines".
    It's actually a trilogy of books by a guy named Crouch, very very good read.
    As a TV mini-series, I'm not highly impressed so far... but it is such fun to see a movie (ex. Gone Girl) or TV show (ex. GoT) after you've read the books.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    With Bloodline, they do need to not renew that show.
    I'd be shocked if I could enjoy a 2nd season. (...but I can see them resurrecting a character of interest to give it a whirl, btw, anybody describe how to do the "Spoiler" function in messages.)
    Too late - it's already been renewed. I guess from a purely economic perspective it's hard not to renew something when the first season was as successful as it was.

I'm only half way through the season, but I was thinking the same thing... very interesting premise, but it's not the type of storyline that has legs. It's kind of like Prison Break... perfect for one mind-blowing season, but what else do you build on after? Anyway, the show producers are talented... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Don't spoil anything else... I've already had a few things spoiled by my colleagues lol

Dobber Sports Deity

Has anyone taken the time to watch the show on Netflix called Sense8?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I finished Bloodline a couple weeks ago, took a break from tv for a bit, now I need a new show!

What's good fellas? I'm hearing a lot of positive things about Orange is the New Black, but I watched a couple of clips on youtube and it just doesn't seem like my kind of thing.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I'm trying to think of another show that started out strong and consistently got worse and worse over time. Usually, they get better, since the characters have time to develop.
    I think in 95% of the cases shows actually get worse as the originally intended storyline winds down and the writers/producers find ways to stretch/milk it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wife & I are 3 episodes through OITNB.

What the producers, I think, have realized is that the strength of the show is actually in the secondary characters.
    The main two characters (Piper & Alex) are NOT interesting any more.
    The latin girls, black girls, russian lady, and trailer trash white girls are more interesting.

Ultimately, I think the show is enjoyable if somebody watches the episodes as "singular" episodes (i.e. Seinfeld-style) rather than trying to "feel" for a plotline.
    The plotline is just weak.

But the day-to-day of the prison girls is still pretty funny.

Once both Finals finish, I'll get back to finishing Daredevil.
    Then we're gonna rent the final season 3 of Newsroom on Netflix Disc.
    Then I may try to subscribe to HBO for 1 month (if that is possible) and binge watch Season 5 of GoT.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yup Daredevil is my favorite series on Netflix. Found it incredibly refreshing the way they bring the characters down to earth. If you didn't know the comic, you would think it was more of a crime drama instead of a super hero show. Can't wait for season 2 as they're bringing on major characters to series now that the new season was green lighted.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ninja

I may try Daredevil out of desperation... I've heard mixed reviews on it, but hey I persevered through season 1 of Gotham so it can't be much worse than that...