Page 3 of 239 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Are you serious!?!? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It would be like continuing Seinfeld without Jerry after the first season haha. One of the reasons it intrigued me was because Lucy Lawless stars in it, and I loved Xena as a kid (blame the hormones).
    They got a new actor, but the original guy was far better - the show was gratuitous sex and violence to begin with, but basically that's all it became after that. It was more cheeseball than anything, and the ridiculous dialogue makes you laugh a lot :P
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I thought the prequel season they did for Spartacus while they waited for the main actor to get well (he didn't in the end) was pretty solid. Not as good as the first season, but I always liked Batiatus
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Haven't seen anyone mention them yet but should try It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Parks and Recreation if you haven't yet.

Dobber Sports Pro

I can't do anything slowly... it's just not in my DNA. I'm all about immediate gratification and I often devour entire series in weeks.

Glad to see there's another "Gleek" on this forum... I figured I was the only one. Sue and Brit are my favs too... especially Sue - she is sublimely talented, and her rendition of Nikki Minaj's "Superbass" had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Hopefully her recent expulsion from McKinley is not a sign that she's leaving the show.

Not gonna lie... it is definitely embarrassing being a Gleek. I try to keep it on the down-low. You wouldn't understand unless you were a guy
    Haha, I can understand that. Trust me, I'm all for lengthy marathons lasting a few days, devouring season upon season of a show. I'm not normally someone who does the "one episode every once in a while" thing, but with Mad Men, it just kind of works that way for me. If you can tackle it all head on, that's excellent. I tend to enjoy taking time between episodes to reflect on everything, to consider potential pop culture and film references that pop up, it makes it that much more fun for me.

And yeah, Sue's character is amazing, I love her rants so much, and despite how horrible she can be, I can't really help but grin at the verbal barbs she spouts and the situations she gets herself in. It's kind of why I like Santana too, though I enjoy her for more reasons than that, and it doesn't hurt that I like her voice the best out of all the gleeks. That "Rumor has it/Someone like you" mashup with Mercedes was just ridiculously good.
    Though nothing really bests Trouty Mouth.

Britt's just amazing. I don't know who writes her lines(I'm convinced it has to be a single person set aside to write purely for her), but they're always just hysterically funny, and she's so sweet. Though they've kind of gone into her character a little bit, I wish they did more with her (I'll admit I've only seen the first 2 and a half seasons, so stuff in the future could resolve that).

And yeah, there's some...stigma against being into Glee, and admittedly some of my dude friends kind of shy away from ever mentioning liking the show, and generally deny watching it. Kinda sucks that social pressures say they're not supposed to like a comedy show about music. It's entertainment, I don't get why there are social restrictions on that kind of stuff.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Legend

My two favorite shows on TV - recommend them both:

1. Homeland
    2. Revenge
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Haven't seen anyone mention them yet but should try It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Parks and Recreation if you haven't yet.

Oh wow! I can't believe I missed these two in my previous post......I just realized, I watch way too much tv.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just finished download the first 4 seasons of Mad Men... gonna start tonight.

We need to start a dedicated Mad Men thread for me to use as an outlet as I progress through the seasons!

Administrator

Just finished download the first 4 seasons of Mad Men... gonna start tonight.

We need to start a dedicated Mad Men thread for me to use as an outlet as I progress through the seasons!
    Get on it! I'd be all over that.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What's the draw of that show? What keeps you coming back to it? I've kind of ignored it completely so far.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't expect to be mind blown when you watch Mad Men. It's got great writing, story, acting, characters, dialogue... but it's not action packed. My buddy quickly lost interest becasue he went in expecting something totally different. It's a great, great show though. If you can appreciate those characteristics, you'll like it.

Breaking Bad and Dexter are both great. I give Breaking Bad the edge and it goes down as a top 5 serialized drama of all time, IMO.

Spartacus recently ended, but it was a sleeper. I thought it was great while others I know didn't like the scenery.

Boardwalk Empire is a great show as well. If you like "that gangsta shit", this show is for you. Great lead in Buscemi, too!

All I watch on TV is scripted serialized shows with dramas being my favorite, but also a fan of sci-fis, comedies, action and thriller. I guess what type of shows you like will narrow down options. Other than the shows you're already considering, there are literally a ton of shows I could recommend. The ones you're considering should last you a while though.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; April 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Other than all these fine suggestions, I really dig Shameless. Another HBO series with a great blend of everything that makes a show good.

...and Doctor Who (2005-current). Though I'd start at Matt Smith's version which falls at Season 5 (currently in Season 7B).

edit : side note - main writer from the current Doctor Who (Moffat) is also the main writer from Sherlock (BBC).
    Last edited by GMGates; April 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I choose shows based on my time-availability/attention-span.

If you have Netflix, the Netflix original "House of Cards" is very, very, very good IMO.
    Great show to watch one-after-the-other, 13 shows in one week makes for some very good watching. (Though... get it in now before NHL Cup Playoffs! )
    ***I can't explain why... but the instrumental show-intro showing day-to-night scenes around Washington just really captivated me all by itself - made me really want to get the popcorn out for each wife-in-bed, by-myself viewing.

WATCH A SHOW AT-A-TIME
    Sherlock (on Netflix) is also good if you can sit down for a 90-min show.
    There's only three in a season. But each one is "separate" and you can just watch one. Actors are fantastic.
    Yah I agree with Sherlock (really interesting modern take on Holmes and Watson, much better than the CBS one) and also started watching House of Cards which shows the cutthroat ppl maneuvering in the political scene.

With Netflix you can also watch the League (one season behind), Parks & Rec, and the ESPN 30 for 30 sports docs.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Don't expect to be mind blown when you watch Mad Men. It's got great writing, story, acting, characters, dialogue... but it's not action packed. My buddy quickly lost interest becasue he went in expecting something totally different. It's a great, great show though. If you can appreciate those characteristics, you'll like it.
    I think you're bang on here.

I'm 4 episodes into Season one and to be honest while I can see why it has the elements of a good show, I'm somewhat struggling to stay interested. It is definitely on the slow side... having said that there have been shows in the past that were slow to capture my interest but had my hooked eventually. I'll finish up the first season at least before I draw any conclusions.

Dobber Sports Master

THE WIRE!!!!! Watch it and realize that tv can be awesome. Breaking Bad is an incredible show too. I recommend both of these shows. It is tv of the highest order.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    THE WIRE!!!!! Watch it and realize that tv can be awesome. Breaking Bad is an incredible show too. I recommend both of these shows. It is tv of the highest order.
    Yeah, The Wire is the absolute Cadillac of TV shows.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg