Page 2 of 239 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlik
    If your into scifi at all? I recommend Falling Skies. Its on TNT (summer show) I enjoyed the first two seasons.

Also, Doctor Who (2005) It is on the 7th season and it is sooooo good. A bit campy in the first season and learning the Doctor Who lore takes time, but one of my favorite shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    Also, The BBC series Sherlock, is fantastic. I just started watching it. 3 episode seasons (hour and a half episodes) so frakkin good.

There's an old British show called The Prisoner. Kind of hard to find because there aren't many seeders for the torrent. I think it's from the 70s (edit 67/68). Very good show, worth looking into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287

Guess they remade it in 2009 as well http://www.theprisoneronline.com/
    Last edited by Ross The Boss Palmer; April 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Banned

Breaking Bad is pretty good but it's a bit slow and boring for me. Doesn't have the wow factor.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    So I'm out of shows to watch again...

I was recently inspired to watch Walking Dead (thanks to the thread in this forum) and finished all 3 seasons in a couple of weeks. The only other "tv show" thread active is Game of Thrones which I won't watch until I've read all the books.

What else is there?

Just to save you the trouble, these are shows I'm already following:
    -Suits, The Office, Glee (yes you read correctly), Californication

Shows that I'm considering:
    -Breaking Bad (I'll get to this eventually, just a matter of when)
    -Mad Men (very interested - any feedback?)
    -Dexter (not so crazy about this one but I know it's got a rabid following)
    -New Girl (only because I LOVE zooooey)
    -Spartacus
    -Boardwalk Empire (don't know much about it, but I like gangsta shit)

I don't want this to turn into a "what's your favourite tv show" kind of thread, so unless you have a VERY compelling argument, let's stick to what I've listed above.

Thanks fellas.
    Breaking Bad-easily in my current top 5. The premise of the show sounds ******ed but the writing and character development make up for it.
    Dexter-don't waste your time. Season 1 and 4 were awesome, the rest were trash. It's an incredibly predictable show (they say what they're doing before the do it) and I find it insulting as a viewer. I watch this because my GF likes it. Relationships are about compromise
    Mad Men-2nd best show on tv. Everything about this show is great.
    Spartacus-it's an ok show. I couldn't get past the Spartacus actor change (original died). Based on historical events and a lot of killing.
    Boardwalk Empire-very good show, also in my top 5 right now. Great characters

Othe shows to consider:

Game of Thrones- easily the best show on TV
    House of Cards- a Netflix show about the dirty game of politics
    Community-funniest show on TV
    Veep-a political spoof.

Dobber Sports Genius

Based on what you listed, I'd say Mad Men is one to go for. Plenty of episodes on Netflix right now. New Girl is great, but I will say it was awkward and didn't find it's grove until about 3/4s of the way through the first season.

You didn't list it, but I'm a big believer in Game of Thrones.

Now if you want to watch one of the best all-time shows, then dig in and watch X-Files. Probably my all-time favorite show. Most shows today copy so many of the things they did in that show.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I choose shows based on my time-availability/attention-span.

WATCH THE SERIES IN FULL (Big commitment)
    If you go Breaking Bad... I think you have to prepare yourself to watch all five-to-six seasons.
    I just finished season five - and I took a couple breaks after a "season" and realized that I would have enjoyed it more to stay on top of it as a "series".

WATCH A SEASON AT-A-TIME (Moderate commitment)
    Dexter, on the other hand, is a good show to watch if you want to immerse yourself for one-season (10-12 shows). Then you can pause from it and come back for another season when you have time.

Mad Men. Fantastic. Love it. Great show to watch with friends or significant other. Season-at-a-time is ideal viewing amount, IMO.

If you have Netflix, the Netflix original "House of Cards" is very, very, very good IMO.
    Great show to watch one-after-the-other, 13 shows in one week makes for some very good watching. (Though... get it in now before NHL Cup Playoffs! )
    ***I can't explain why... but the instrumental show-intro showing day-to-night scenes around Washington just really captivated me all by itself - made me really want to get the popcorn out for each wife-in-bed, by-myself viewing.

WATCH A SHOW AT-A-TIME
    New Girl is one of me & the wife's faves... and like a "Friends"... it's good because you can just watch ONE episode, wait a week, watch another. Or watch two in a row. In other words, not really a drama/storyline.

Sherlock (on Netflix) is also good if you can sit down for a 90-min show.
    There's only three in a season. But each one is "separate" and you can just watch one. Actors are fantastic.

*One of the few shows recommended here that failed on me was Boardwalk Empire.
    I tried it... but it didn't grab me like the others above.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; April 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I canīt believe only one person before me mentioned Game of Thrones -by far the best show atm
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I always try to get people to watch 24. Even today it is still a very unique show in many ways. Very solid entertainment. I just started rewatching it from the start and it blows most of the shows I watch today out of the water.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Selanne13 View Post
    I canīt believe only one person before me mentioned Game of Thrones -by far the best show atm
    I figured that was a given. I think many others likely did as well, there are two very popular threads solely dedicated to the show/books.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Boardwalk Empire ... I am sure you have read the summary of what it is about but I don't even know how to describe it. Just absolutely love it. If you love gangsta shit, this will be a favorite for sure.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I always try to get people to watch 24. Even today it is still a very unique show in many ways. Very solid entertainment. I just started rewatching it from the start and it blows most of the shows I watch today out of the water.
    I agree, one of the best shows out there. I was focusing on current shows though,
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Selanne13 View Post
    Its a little buried in the original post but Blayze made this the other-than-GoT-what-else-should-I-watch thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Its a little buried in the original post but Blayze made this the other-than-GoT-what-else-should-I-watch thread.
    that explains it, thx

other great series that come to mind are

Sons of Anarchy / Hell on Wheels / House of Cards / Vikings

you should also check out Go On with Matthew Perry, i think it is hilarious
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

Dobber Sports Pro

Bobs Burgers.
    Probably the best written cartoon show I've ever seen.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Bobs Burgers.
    Probably the best written cartoon show I've ever seen.
    LOL. Yeah, it's pretty good.
    My wife & I watch the Sunday Fox cartoon line-up.
    Bob's wife, Linda, makes me laugh histerically!
    And I love that the youngest daughter (with the ear-hat... damn, what's her name... Louise?), she was the "fan" on the show "Flight of the Conchords" (which, as an older show, 5 years old, is a pretty damn good series to watch too).

I wouldn't say Bob's Burgers is better than Family Guy... but I do enjoy it more than Simpsons these days.

Of note, what's really confusing is to watch Bob & then Sterling Archer in the same day.
    It will completely mess with your head.
    Or, put them on at the same time, two TVs, while sedated in your manner-of-preference... that will also mess you up.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow... thanks for all the responses. A lot of good feedback here.

Based on what I'm reading I think I'll tee up Mad Men. The praise for the show seems unanimous. It feels like a more sophisticated version of Suits, which happens to be my favourite show right now. The "corporate" themed shows really resonate with me since I work in that kind of environment. I get kicks out of how they take the few interesting aspects of our jobs and glamorize them to the extreme.

A few random comments:

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I would recommend Mad Men/New Girl simultaneously, and then Breaking Bad.
    Love the idea, but I'm monogamous when it comes watching a series in its entirety. I fully dedicate and immerse myself in it until it's done. Unfortunately I can't say I hold the same philosophy for other aspects of my life

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    One show that hasn't been said that just came to me. Entourage. If you haven't seen it, that's my recommendation. It's basically Californication but 10x better and funnier.
    Watched it - loved it. One of my favs too... although it's a stretch to say it's 10x better than Californication (an amazing show in it's own right). I would say they are even. Californication is a smarter, wittier show, but Entourage is great for light humor.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    I LOVE Mad Men but it's a slow burner. Something to be enjoyed slowly. Last summer when I caught up on it, I did two episodes a week and it really helped me appreciate it more than I was when i re-watched season one in basically a single day.

And honestly, I hope you don't feel bad for watching Glee.
    I can't do anything slowly... it's just not in my DNA. I'm all about immediate gratification and I often devour entire series in weeks.

Glad to see there's another "Gleek" on this forum... I figured I was the only one. Sue and Brit are my favs too... especially Sue - she is sublimely talented, and her rendition of Nikki Minaj's "Superbass" had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Hopefully her recent expulsion from McKinley is not a sign that she's leaving the show.

Not gonna lie... it is definitely embarrassing being a Gleek. I try to keep it on the down-low. You wouldn't understand unless you were a guy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Do all of those shows, except maybe Spartacus because things fall off a cliff when the main actor dies after season one. Not the main character, the main actor. Sad but true.
    Are you serious!?!? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It would be like continuing Seinfeld without Jerry after the first season haha. One of the reasons it intrigued me was because Lucy Lawless stars in it, and I loved Xena as a kid (blame the hormones).

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Saw it - loved it (even though it got stale after a while). I've gotta admit, I was intimidated by the thought of watching 8 seasons from scratch but it kept my attention.