Page 18 of 240 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Administrator

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I just started watching Gotham and I love it. Mind you I'm huge on superhero stuff whether it's DC comics or Marvel so I'll pretty much like anything that involves superheroes.
    I'm close to giving up on Gotham. I HATE "mystery of the week" type shows. I like shows that can mix that in there but have a lot more going on. Now you can argue that Gotham has more going on with the Penguin storyline but so far it's been a lot of that weekly bad guy crap.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm close to giving up on Gotham. I HATE "mystery of the week" type shows. I like shows that can mix that in there but have a lot more going on. Now you can argue that Gotham has more going on with the Penguin storyline but so far it's been a lot of that weekly bad guy crap.
    Haha, I'm guessing you hated Smallville. Yeah it looks like they're following the freak of the week model. I personally don't have too much of an issue with it but you're not the only person that has expressed their discontent. One thing that I do like about this show though is that the way that the show is designed, there is bound to be a ton of character development. I suspect that this freak of the week model might only come into play early when they're trying to shove filler into the episodes so that the character development isn't too much too fast. I would suggest giving them at least until episode 11 (halfway through the season) before completely bailing.

Like eventually you're going to learn how Nigma becomes the Riddler. Cobblepot is well on his way to becoming the Penguin. Joker and Two Face haven't even been introduced, etc.

I actually also really enjoy Arrow.

Administrator

Haha, I'm guessing you hated Smallville. Yeah it looks like they're following the freak of the week model. I personally don't have too much of an issue with it but you're not the only person that has expressed their discontent. One thing that I do like about this show though is that the way that the show is designed, there is bound to be a ton of character development. I suspect that this freak of the week model might only come into play early when they're trying to shove filler into the episodes so that the character development isn't too much too fast. I would suggest giving them at least until episode 11 (halfway through the season) before completely bailing.

Like eventually you're going to learn how Nigma becomes the Riddler. Cobblepot is well on his way to becoming the Penguin. Joker and Two Face haven't even been introduced, etc.

I actually also really enjoy Arrow.
    Yeah, I'm not over the moon for Nigma constantly popping up and them paying fan service to how "weird" he is with comments from detective Harvey. Like, we get it. We all know he's going to be the Riddler. Want to show us how weird he is. SHOW US. Don't give us little one-liners and non-sense like that.

The show apparently is guaranteed a second season so yeah, there's plenty of room for growth but it seems pretty clear to me that what they've done here is taken a classic mystery of the week model and dressed it up with a name brand so now they have to service two evils: a new criminal each week and slipping "Easter Eggs" for the fans. None of those achieves anything beyond distracting the writers from telling a compelling story.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Gotham eh... I've always been a huge fan of the Batman franchise since childhood.

Is this version catered to a more mature audience, or is it "kiddy" (ie: smallville). I don't think I have patience for kiddy shows anymore.

I tried watching SHIELD but gave up after 3 episodes. That show is god awful.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Gotham eh... I've always been a huge fan of the Batman franchise since childhood.

Is this version catered to a more mature audience, or is it "kiddy" (ie: smallville). I don't think I have patience for kiddy shows anymore.

I tried watching SHIELD but gave up after 3 episodes. That show is god awful.
    More of an adult audience. The main character is Jim Gordon starting out as a detective.

For a second I thought you meant you'd give up on the show "The Shield", which was awesome. It's a bit dated now but still holds up in a lot of ways.

Dobber Sports Giant

Ya Gotham was pretty good. I will wait until the series comes out on DVD; I hate missing episodes on a given week!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

I read up on Gotham and checked out a few clips on Youtube. I don't have extremely high hopes, but there's enough there that I will give it a shot after I get through True Detective (which should be very quickly given how few episodes there are). I'm a sucker for nostalgia lol... huge batman fan. Hopefully it won't be too disappointing.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I read up on Gotham and checked out a few clips on Youtube. I don't have extremely high hopes, but there's enough there that I will give it a shot after I get through True Detective (which should be very quickly given how few episodes there are). I'm a sucker for nostalgia lol... huge batman fan. Hopefully it won't be too disappointing.
    Yeah I mean just give it a shot IMO. If it interests you it interests you, if not then meh. It's kind of a cool concept though how it's going way back to when all these villains are kids/teens and Bruce is a child.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I mean just give it a shot IMO. If it interests you it interests you, if not then meh. It's kind of a cool concept though how it's going way back to when all these villains are kids/teens and Bruce is a child.
    Yeah except the problem with me is that once I start a show, I'm very reluctant to give it up. Hell... I struggled through smallville for 10 ****ing seasons, despite the fact that the middle 6 were absolutely brutal until they finally started focusing on the superman mythology and storyline instead of freak of the week.

Does Gotham generally hold true to the Batman mythology/storyline, or do they make shit up?

Administrator

Yeah except the problem with me is that once I start a show, I'm very reluctant to give it up. Hell... I struggled through smallville for 10 ****ing seasons, despite the fact that the middle 6 were absolutely brutal until they finally started focusing on the superman mythology and storyline instead of freak of the week.

Does Gotham generally hold true to the Batman mythology/storyline, or do they make shit up?
    It seems like they are following the blue print of one of the comic series that really buckles down on the Batman origin story before Batman really comes to exist. So they are true to that for the most part. It's where they got most all the characters for the show.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To join in on the the shows of disappointment... my wife & I are currently in the middle of Homeland Season 3... ugh... slow, plotless... might be the last season of this show for me.

On my own time, I'm watching the Danish/Swedish version of the Bridge. aka Bron/Broen.
    For those that can deal with subtitles, it's pretty good.
    I believe there is an American version on FX right now.

In November, we'll be watching Season 2 of the Newsroom.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So I finished True Detective last night (did half the season in one night).

WOW! That show is freaking incredible... top 3 for sure. Absolutely loved it - the darkness, the characters, acting, dialogue, setting, the action, the sex, the women, it was all good. The directing style is very original. Can't praise it enough. That gun fight scene at the end of the 4th episode with Cohle and the motor cycle gang was one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen on television.

I read up on season 2 and was somewhat disappointed to hear that mcconaughey and harrelson aren't coming back (I guess that makes sense from a storyline stand point). Sounds like they're going to do a whole new show with new cast, directors, etc each season. They've got Farrell as a cop (huge surprise) and Vince Vaughn as the bad guy. The writer of the show also said season 2 (taking place in california) won't be as dark as season 1. I'm hoping it wont' be a bust, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of their choice of cast so far.

Next up - Gotham!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yup, I agree. I loved True Detective's season. Great show.

You'll have to let us know what you think of Gotham.
    I've almost come to swear off major network dramas - as I believe they have public viewing requirements that keep them from being anywhere near as good as "cable" television.

I'll watch major network comedy (Modern Family, Fox Sunday cartoons)... but I can't think of the last time I watched a major network drama... Lost, perhaps.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    To join in on the the shows of disappointment... my wife & I are currently in the middle of Homeland Season 3... ugh... slow, plotless... might be the last season of this show for me.

On my own time, I'm watching the Danish/Swedish version of the Bridge. aka Bron/Broen.
    For those that can deal with subtitles, it's pretty good.
    I believe there is an American version on FX right now.

In November, we'll be watching Season 2 of the Newsroom.
    Seriously, dump Homeland. Not worth your time. I dumped it after season 2 and merely checked in on a couple of episodes the last two seasons. Just awful.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Seriously, dump Homeland. Not worth your time. I dumped it after season 2 and merely checked in on a couple of episodes the last two seasons. Just awful.
    We're through about 3 of 4 discs - so we'll finish.
    But yeah... I think it's over for us after Season 3.
    This show lost my interest in Season 3 the same way the Walking Dead lost me at the prison with ghost Lori shenaningans.
    I'm done with it.