Page 171 of 239 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 181 221 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 3574

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Just started this too, first two episodes are great and I agree with the Lost comparison. It also really reminds me of a great show from the same time period The 4400 (which coincidentally is being rebooted this fall as well)
    Ok, you got me, with the The 4400 reference. And I liked LOST as well, until it ended. Manifest on the list!

Currently enjoying S2 of StartUp (as far fetched as Ozarks and not quite as good), and S1 of Ted Lasso - my hero.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Ok, you got me, with the The 4400 reference. And I liked LOST as well, until it ended. Manifest on the list!

Currently enjoying S2 of StartUp (as far fetched as Ozarks and not quite as good), and S1 of Ted Lasso - my hero.
    I enjoyed StartUp. Be warned, though, that the show was canceled and, although somewhat conclusive, it felt like the story had a lot more left and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Manifest.
    Sorry... not a good show.
    Good concept, yes.
    Great concept.
    Not a good show.
    Metacritic (my go to) has a Critic Score of 55... (which, IMO, is edging into "not good" range: hence the yellow coloring by Metacritic)
    Metacritic does also list a User Score of 7.0... but I think viewers that get sucked in are strong to support their show.

My wife started watching it two weeks ago.
    It's an interesting hack though... google "Manifest Netflix"... the show basically got "John Scott"-ed up to the top of the Netflix Trending-Now list by a bunch of jaded Manifest fans that never got their ending and mass-forum decided they would just stream the show constantly from all their devices to feign general public interest. (There's not).
    I mean... Network TV (which is awful these days)... canceled this show. NBC. I haven't watched anything from network TV in like 5+ years.

I watched/followed it peripherally through about 6-7 episodes. The characters are really weak. The lead female is especially unlikeable, IMO.
    My wife actually gave up too, about 3 episodes after I told her "I'm out" - which was about Ep.3 or 4 for me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Been watching Dr Death with the wife.

Based on a true story with a great cast.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^We may have to queue that one up since we have Peacock Premium for a month!
    Thanks. (Noticed it got a Metacritic 77... which is pretty damn good.)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    re: Manifest.
    Sorry... not a good show.
    Good concept, yes.
    Great concept.
    Not a good show.
    Metacritic (my go to) has a Critic Score of 55... (which, IMO, is edging into "not good" range: hence the yellow coloring by Metacritic)
    Metacritic does also list a User Score of 7.0... but I think viewers that get sucked in are strong to support their show.

My wife started watching it two weeks ago.
    It's an interesting hack though... google "Manifest Netflix"... the show basically got "John Scott"-ed up to the top of the Netflix Trending-Now list by a bunch of jaded Manifest fans that never got their ending and mass-forum decided they would just stream the show constantly from all their devices to feign general public interest. (There's not).
    I mean... Network TV (which is awful these days)... canceled this show. NBC. I haven't watched anything from network TV in like 5+ years.

I watched/followed it peripherally through about 6-7 episodes. The characters are really weak. The lead female is especially unlikeable, IMO.
    My wife actually gave up too, about 3 episodes after I told her "I'm out" - which was about Ep.3 or 4 for me.
    I’m around episode 7 now. It’s not a perfect show by any means but I’m definitely invested in the story and some of the characters are intriguing. I will agree that the female lead isn’t especially likeable but I don’t hate her and she doesn’t turn me off from watching the show.

It’s not going to be a huge success like Lost or The Walking Dead but the fact that it has gained a cult following, enough to get a cancelled show picked up again speaks to the quality of the story IMO. It gives the show a chance to come back and end on its own terms which is more than can be said for the similarly cancelled 4400.

I tend to avoid checking ratings on Metacrotic or Rotten Tomatoes because I fully recognize that my tastes lay outside of the palette of the masses. Nothing wrong with using those ratings as a gauge if it consistently works for you though.

Dobber Sports Titan

Manifest got a 7.1/10 on IMDb. Which I think is a decently accurate rating on the show. You can +/- 0.5pts on a lot of those ratings depending on your personal likings.

I think the 92% of "google reviewers liked it" is also a good indication it was a show most like, but no one will love. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to people unless someone asks me about it, and I'll then give an honest opinion.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... numbers/rankings are always relative.
    So you have to know each platform.

For example, when I did high school in Canada... an 80+ was a great grade, an A. 80+ average was honour roll.
    My wife, who went to high school in USA (GA)... said a 90 was a great grade of A. 90+ average was their honor roll.
    (I mean... this is part of the whole "RIBBON" era where kids need a gold star/high-number or they can't handle it...)

I said - we had like 10 kids in our 400 kid graduating class that had a 90+ average.
    She said her school had like 100 kids/ 500 at 90+.
    (I'm like "wow". I've met some of her "90+" friends... some of them I would've pegged as a "75" by CDN HS grade from the 90s.).

Big difference in numbers.
    I find that Rotten Tomatoes and Google runs too high for me... if a show gets a "9" or "90" rank on any site... it better be incredible.
    IMDb is a bit better, but still too high.

We've been following metacritic for 5+ years now.
    It's the only good ranking out there, it includes a value/100 from critics... and a value out of 10.0 from viewers/fans/regulars.
    I'd highly recommend that system. There just aren't any others worth referencing, IMO.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well... numbers/rankings are always relative.
    So you have to know each platform.

For example, when I did high school in Canada... an 80+ was a great grade, an A. 80+ average was honour roll.
    My wife, who went to high school in USA (GA)... said a 90 was a great grade of A. 90+ average was their honor roll.
    (I mean... this is part of the whole "RIBBON" era where kids need a gold star/high-number or they can't handle it...)

I said - we had like 10 kids in our 400 kid graduating class that had a 90+ average.
    She said her school had like 100 kids/ 500 at 90+.
    (I'm like "wow". I've met some of her "90+" friends... some of them I would've pegged as a "75" by CDN HS grade from the 90s.).

Big difference in numbers.
    I find that Rotten Tomatoes and Google runs too high for me... if a show gets a "9" or "90" rank on any site... it better be incredible.
    IMDb is a bit better, but still too high.

We've been following metacritic for 5+ years now.
    It's the only good ranking out there, it includes a value/100 from critics... and a value out of 10.0 from viewers/fans/regulars.
    I'd highly recommend that system. There just aren't any others worth referencing, IMO.
    Well Google is a yes/no with the rankings. So I take it more as a "do people think it's a waste of time, or alright". Or if it's a dumb movie like...off the top of my head "Dumb and Dumber" it's a hilarious movie, but something like that could be ranked low on IMDb or other places, but rank high on Google Reviews. Which makes sense, it's dumb, but funny. lol.

It's all personal tho, I know some people who like Manifest and recommend it to everyone.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

There are tons of movies / shows that the review sites gave poor ratings that I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't take them as gospel - if something tickles my fancy I'll give it a few episodes.

I thought Manifest was awesome and the few friends who I suggested it to are enjoying it as well.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I suppose "Manifest" is more of a talking point for me because:

1. I find that I generally like everything that people bring up in this thread. I tell my wife "The Dobber guys recommend really good stuff... I almost always agree & like it".
    2. Manifest is a "Network" (NBC) show - and network shows have been just... pretty bad... for several years now - when compared to non-Network shows that can do more of what they like.
    3. Manifest ended up being acquired by Netflix... and then the cult-following-tact of "let's heavily stream it (in hopes of getting it renewed and getting our ending)" actually worked... and I saw it at the top of the Netflix queue for a couple straight weeks - with their roll-in hook scene... if one stalls on it. And the concept IS really, really good, really hookful.

But I still can't get past how boring I found it and how bad (my opinion) the characters were.
    And we gave it a solid audition (6-7 episodes)...
    It just... stunk.

You guys will have to let me know when you get through seasons 2 & 3... and whether you really feel it stacks up.
    (People often are stubborn and will simply support their decisions on movies/TV - because they've invested time there. But sometimes we should fairly look back on a show and say "Man... why did I keep watching Dexter/Shameless/Weeds... for so long..." <----- those being three that I watched all the way through and now look back and want that time back!!!)

From linked article above:
    So what’s happening? I’ve spoken with at least a few of the main #SaveManifest organizers, and in addition to normal things like watch parties for specific episodes, the main thing going on here appears to be that a large number of fans have dedicated themselves to streaming Manifest pretty much….24/7. They leave the show running indefinitely, perhaps watching it, but more than likely not, on their TVs or devices, and this constant stream of Manifest plays and replays has kept it at this spot. I don’t know how many dedicated Manifest fans are doing this, but it’s clearly enough to take over Netflix’s top 10 list for essentially as long as they want. Sure, some of this is snowball interest by those checking out the series because it’s so high on the chart for this long, but this is entirely fan-generated.

Dobber Sports Icon

I suppose "Manifest" is more of a talking point for me because:

1. I find that I generally like everything that people bring up in this thread. I tell my wife "The Dobber guys recommend really good stuff... I almost always agree & like it".
    2. Manifest is a "Network" (NBC) show - and network shows have been just... pretty bad... for several years now - when compared to non-Network shows that can do more of what they like.
    3. Manifest ended up being acquired by Netflix... and then the cult-following-tact of "let's heavily stream it (in hopes of getting it renewed and getting our ending)" actually worked... and I saw it at the top of the Netflix queue for a couple straight weeks - with their roll-in hook scene... if one stalls on it. And the concept IS really, really good, really hookful.

But I still can't get past how boring I found it and how bad (my opinion) the characters were.
    And we gave it a solid audition (6-7 episodes)...
    It just... stunk.

You guys will have to let me know when you get through seasons 2 & 3... and whether you really feel it stacks up.
    (People often are stubborn and will simply support their decisions on movies/TV - because they've invested time there. But sometimes we should fairly look back on a show and say "Man... why did I keep watching Dexter/Shameless/Weeds... for so long..." <----- those being three that I watched all the way through and now look back and want that time back!!!)

From linked article above:
    So what’s happening? I’ve spoken with at least a few of the main #SaveManifest organizers, and in addition to normal things like watch parties for specific episodes, the main thing going on here appears to be that a large number of fans have dedicated themselves to streaming Manifest pretty much….24/7. They leave the show running indefinitely, perhaps watching it, but more than likely not, on their TVs or devices, and this constant stream of Manifest plays and replays has kept it at this spot. I don’t know how many dedicated Manifest fans are doing this, but it’s clearly enough to take over Netflix’s top 10 list for essentially as long as they want. Sure, some of this is snowball interest by those checking out the series because it’s so high on the chart for this long, but this is entirely fan-generated.
    I will agree that the premise behind the show and story is good tv. The acting is brutal and it gets worse as the series goes on. I won’t be into the next seasons.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Deity

Active Shooter on Showtime. Eight part docuseries about various active shooter situations from the past. The last episode was about Columbine.

Moving and serious documentary.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just finished Outer Banks Season 2. Pretty good - on par with Season 1.

This show takes me back to the OC. Good mindless entertainment.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Active Shooter on Showtime. Eight part docuseries about various active shooter situations from the past. The last episode was about Columbine.

Moving and serious documentary.

Thanks going to check it out!
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent