Page 164 of 239 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 174 214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3574

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I've been binge watching an older series called Banshee on the crave/hbo streaming service . I'm enjoying it but its a bit over the top with the violence so I'm taking a break before going into season 3 lol
    The fight scene with the MMA champ was fantastic.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    not sure if you’ve already watched it but Mindhunter is really interesting. All about profiling serial killers based on true events.
    I have. I had also read the book Mindhunter by John Douglas about 25yrs ago and then several more books by Douglas & Mark Olshaker another profiler (who created a classification system for rapists). The main character is based on John Douglas' real life & his development of the FBI's Behavioural Sciences Unit.

They've changed a bunch of stuff from Douglas' first book to make the show work better. For one, the Atlanta case seems to be very early in his career. In his book his unit is more established than it appears in the show.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I've been binge watching an older series called Banshee on the crave/hbo streaming service . I'm enjoying it but its a bit over the top with the violence so I'm taking a break before going into season 3 lol
    Awesome show, my friends and I call it the F&F series, if they aren’t fighting then they are ****ing.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I have. I had also read the book Mindhunter by John Douglas about 25yrs ago and then several more books by Douglas & Mark Olshaker another profiler (who created a classification system for rapists). The main character is based on John Douglas' real life & his development of the FBI's Behavioural Sciences Unit.

They've changed a bunch of stuff from Douglas' first book to make the show work better. For one, the Atlanta case seems to be very early in his career. In his book his unit is more established than it appears in the show.
    Love it, watched a documentary about that a while back, amazing how far profiling has come. I always liked the Hannibal series as well and now the new series “Clarice”. Going to be a while for Mindhunter new season but jonesing big time for it.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Have you watched Criminal Minds? Would you reccomend the book for someone who likes that show?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Some shows the wife & I have watched recently (in between hockey, of course!)

Them. (Hulu). Metacritic score = 59.
    Interesting (fictional) show about racism from an all-white neighborhood towards the 2nd black residents to move into 1950s all-white Compton (!!!).
    It's a pretty good story... goes off the rails, comes back, goes off the rails again.
    It felt like "Lost" watching it. We were really into it all along, but by the final 10%... it was a little bit of a WTF... and at the end we said "Meh".
    But if you like the ride of the TV show... This is pretty good.
    3/5 stars.

Cruel Summer. (Freeform). Metacritic score = 74. (User score = 4.7, 7 ratings... ???)
    We had to download the Freeform channel for Roku (US)... but its free.
    For people that LOVED the first season of 13 Reasons Why (we did)... this is a great show.
    The concept of story-telling is something I haven't seen. The characters are solid in a 13-Reasons Why/Stranger Things kind of way.
    Overall - we are digging it... but only 3 of 6-8 episodes are available to this point.
    4.25/5 stars.

Sasquatch. (Hulu). Metacritic Score = 76.
    This is an interesting show. I'll try to explain why.
    After episode #1, write down on a piece of paper "I thought I was watching a show about ____. But really, maybe I am watching a show about _____."
    Then, do this after episode #2.
    And do this after episode #3.
    It's a little bit of a mind-fugg like that.
    I mean... it's either intentionally brilliant... or accidentally brilliant... but if you *see it*... I think... it's brilliant.
    4.5/5 stars.

Calls. (Apple TV). Metacritic score = 65.
    This show is purely audio. Yeah... like an old-school Radio story.
    I know... weird. They have one of those Microsoft music streaming visual wispy line effects to fill the screen.
    But... essentially, I'd put this on only if you are doing something on your phone and want a "background show".
    If you put it on simply as an audible space-filler while you play games or text on your phone...
    Well... if you do that, it can be a pretty interesting go. (Don't watch the screen though... it feels really dumb if you do that. My advice.)
    3.5/5 stars.

The One (Netflix). Metacritic score = 49.
    Ugh. This was one of those shows that a Facebook friend said "I loved" - so we gave it a try.
    The premise is interesting and it ends there. The acting is shit. The storyline is shit. The supposed hooks are shit.
    Waste of time.
    1.5/5 stars.

Beartown. (HBO). Metacritic = 82. (The User Score = 5.9... but I have to think this is dumb-ass Americans who don't know hockey...)
    I mean... I read the book. And the TV show is close, Swedish, and... awesome.
    I thought it was great. I am reading the second book now and hope they do a follow-up TV show.
    For me, as a hockey guy...
    5/5 stars. (And the on-ice hockey actually looks really good.)

It's a Sin. (HBO). Metacritic = 91.
    This.was.great. I mean, many of us remembers AIDS and treatment towards the gay population during the 1980s.
    This shows this really well via a fictional story of 4-5 men trying to live their gay-world in England.
    The actors, the storyline, the general feeling that eminates... great, really great.
    TV shows often are period pieces to revisit past difficult times, like war or pandemics or racism...
    But this might be the best "let's revisit when..." TV shows, as a fictional story, that I've ever seen.
    Both the wife and I really enjoyed this.
    And to have a Neil Patrick Harris star-inclusion for the first episode or two really framed the whole show incredibly.
    5/5 stars.
    Based on this, I took a shot at this show and so far, three episodes in, it hasn't disappointed, as long as you dont mind reading text due to the Swedish audio (I dont btw). Good show!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Im waiting for the next episode but "Mare of Easttown" is a dandy of a show. Kate Winslett is excellent in this one on HBO. It starts off a bit slow but once you get rolling with it, it's an excellent show. Cant wait to see where this ends up.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im waiting for the next episode but "Mare of Easttown" is a dandy of a show. Kate Winslett is excellent in this one on HBO. It starts off a bit slow but once you get rolling with it, it's an excellent show. Cant wait to see where this ends up.
    Yes! I'm 4 episodes in and can't wait to see the rest. Winslett is awesome as always and I like how they intertwine her personal and professional lives. Apparently season 1 is 7 episodes? Well it's damn good so far.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    not sure if you’ve already watched it but Mindhunter is really interesting. All about profiling serial killers based on true events.
    Mindhunter was excellent. Wish they did more than 2 seasons.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Sage

I've been watching Loudermilk on Amazon recently. Ron Livingston plays a recovering alcoholic in charge of a rehab group. It's a 30 min comedy/drama- not sure what the genre is. It's entertaining.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Mindhunter was excellent. Wish they did more than 2 seasons.
    Glad you liked it, that’s exactly what I thought after I was done.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

If you haven't watched Very Scary People, I highly recommend it. Great doc show on some of the worst serial killers known to man.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Have you watched Criminal Minds? Would you reccomend the book for someone who likes that show?
    I have watched sporadically a couple seasons of CM's I'm not a huge fan. I'm not a big fan of any detective/crime show where they give characters go do stuff they would never ever do in real life.
    Profiler's don't go out and arrest criminals in the field - they're researchers. Coroners don't run around with guns or go arrest people - neither do forensic labrats.
    Forensics folks sit in labs or crime scenes for days on end - often not the same person collecting evidence as the one testing it. These shows get so much more wrong than right.
    But that's my pet-peeve and if someone can just enjoy the entertainment of the show... that's all that really matters... I just can't. lol

CSI - by far the worst. Hate that show. All of them, it matters not which version of the series we're talking about.

Netflix series' 'Real Detective' or 'First 48hours' - not on netflix - I can lose myself for days in. You get a real experience.

mini-rant over.

I would highly recommend Mindhunter for someone who likes Criminal Minds - Thomas Gibson/Aaron Hotchner is also loosely based on John Douglas

and also read John Douglas' book 'Mindhunter' you'll see the differences with the real life version vs. the series, but all the cases & interviews are real. & The book is not boring. he does a good job explaining the toll that job took on him mentally & emotionally.

The interview in the show with Kemper is almost entirely verbatim from the recorded interviews Douglas had with Kemper. He literally did fly across the States interviewing every Serial Killer he could find (hundreds) - and a lot against Hoover's wishes or without knoweldge. A lot of the 'common knowledge' folks have about Serial Killers is stuff Douglas & Olshaker... among a couple others early on researched & published (internally).

Mindhunter
    Unabomber

both great dramatic series based on real events & characters (mostly with Unabomber)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If you haven't watched Very Scary People, I highly recommend it. Great doc show on some of the worst serial killers known to man.
    Also another great recommendation. Pretty scary.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Some may like this post, some may not. Just finished watching the Friends reunion show. The wife is a HUGE Friends fan so she was dying to get home fr work to watch it tonight.

If you're a fan of the show, you'll enjoy this. If you don't like the show, carry on. Nothing to see here.