Page 1 of 239 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default I need a new show...

So I'm out of shows to watch again...

I was recently inspired to watch Walking Dead (thanks to the thread in this forum) and finished all 3 seasons in a couple of weeks. The only other "tv show" thread active is Game of Thrones which I won't watch until I've read all the books.

What else is there?

Just to save you the trouble, these are shows I'm already following:
    -Suits, The Office, Glee (yes you read correctly), Californication

Shows that I'm considering:
    -Breaking Bad (I'll get to this eventually, just a matter of when)
    -Mad Men (very interested - any feedback?)
    -Dexter (not so crazy about this one but I know it's got a rabid following)
    -New Girl (only because I LOVE zooooey)
    -Spartacus
    -Boardwalk Empire (don't know much about it, but I like gangsta shit)

Thanks fellas.
    Last edited by blayze; January 9, 2015 at 10:14 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Dexter and Breaking Bad, both amazing shows IMO. If I had to choose, I'd say Dexter first - both are coming to an end soon so its good timing. You can't go wrong with either (so watch em both!).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm likely to check out Breaking Bad myself one day, as I have a couple friends who love it.

I'll give a strong vote to New Girl. I think it's freaking awesome, and if you dig Zooey already (and you should) what's not to like? The odd episode is a miss, but overall it's a super funny show.

The Magnificent One

yeah that's a good idea staying to whats above because we all like our shows for whatever reason and there are a lot of great ones out there. I tend to watch a bunch of tv as I have time to and from work on the subway to watch.

from your list though ive only really watched 2 of them: dexter and broadwalk empire.

for me I stopped watching empire after the first season. it was VERY VERY slow and blah. I herd it picked up a bit to only get slow again. so that is up to you but wasn't much of a fan.

Dexter - you said your not so interested but yeah this is defently a show id start watching. BUT you must watch from the begging. its very interesting bc you tend to route for the killer. good or bad that's your choice. but also its really interesting seeing how he develops as a person.

THE other show id recommend which is another fan favorite is True Blood. its more of a themed show so you need to like the strange and out there type of shows but still a fun show that draws you in week after week.

but like you said hard to just list every show. so if you want more great ideas let me know. as an older show and if you haven't watched .. think LOST !!!!
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Ace

homeland is worth watching..
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    as an older show and if you haven't watched .. think LOST !!!!
    Saw it... loved it.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would say Dexter or Breaking Bad because both are ending this late summer/early fall. Breaking Bad is my preference and also would be quicker to get through (5 seasons so far vs Dexter's 7). But either way you could blow through either and be caught up to live with the hype surrounding the remaining episodes.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Based on what you are watching sounds like we have similar interests. I would recommend Mad Men/New Girl simultaneously, and then Breaking Bad. All three are amazing. I have tried Dexter and am just struggling through it. I find it goes very very slow. And it's not like I don't like crime shows, love Criminal Minds and Golden Boy (also highly recommended), but I just find Dexter to really not be a very good show. Mad Men is a fantastic, similar to Suits (from what I have heard, never seen Suits), but there is a reason Mad Men wins awards for best show every year. Absolutely fantastic series. New Girl is just fantastically hilarious and getting funnier, and is a good contrast to Mad Men. Breaking Bad is also an incredible show, but Mad Men is far and away the top of this list.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Of the ones you listed, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire are my recommendations. I'll give you one off the list to consider, Justified. Good acting, well written, subtle humor, set back in seedy underbelly of the coal mining region in eastern Kentucky.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

One show that hasn't been said that just came to me. Entourage. If you haven't seen it, that's my recommendation. It is hands down by far the best TV show I have ever seen (aside from Seinfeld, but obviously right?). It's basically Californication but 10x better and funnier. It's 8 seasons, and I re-watch the entire series about once a year because I enjoy it so much.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

I was recently inspired to watch Walking Dead (thanks to the thread in this forum) and finished all 3 seasons in a couple of weeks. The only other "tv show" thread active is Game of Thrones which I won't watch until I've read all the books.

What else is there?

-Spartacus

I don't want this to turn into a "what's your favourite tv show" kind of thread, so unless you have a VERY compelling argument, let's stick to what I've listed above.

Thanks fellas.
    Boardwalk Empire's pretty stellar from the first two seasons I've watched, and you'd probably like Breaking bad a lot too. Both shows, IMO, pass by a lot quicker than their running time. They're pretty fun, addictive.

I LOVE Mad Men but it's a slow burner. Something to be enjoyed slowly. Last summer when I caught up on it, I did two episodes a week and it really helped me appreciate it more than I was when i re-watched season one in basically a single day.

And honestly, I hope you don't feel bad for watching Glee. Aside from them butchering the odd song(some just aren't meant to be autotuned and cleaned up...though they have the odd really strong version of a song, or mashup), it's a pretty funny show. The character of Sue Sylvester is absolutely hilarious, and both Santana(Trouty Mouth was amazing) and Britt(pretty much most of her lines) constantly have me grinning like an idiot.
    Last edited by lockedge; April 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Administrator

Do all of those shows, except maybe Spartacus because things fall off a cliff when the main actor dies after season one. Not the main character, the main actor. Sad but true.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

I know you said it's not a 'favourite TV show thread' but from the shows you just named (minus glee) those are all some of my favourites.. But I've been pushing this show to a lot of my friends: House of Cards.. The show is great!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

What else is there?

-Spartacus

I don't want this to turn into a "what's your favourite tv show" kind of thread, so unless you have a VERY compelling argument, let's stick to what I've listed above.

Thanks fellas.

Breaking Bad - Watched the first episode, Loved it. Putting it off.

-Mad Men - Watching the first season right now, RECOMMEND. I love it and I don't normally like period pieces...see below.

-Dexter - one of my favorite shows, glad its ending though.. has been too long I think.

-New Girl - there is every reason to watch this show. Zooey and that it is HILARIOUS.

-Spartacus - if you can get past the cheesy scene cuts, it is a great entertaining show, I watched the first season and really enjoyed it. The other seasons have a different actor because the main guy died in real life. I hesitate.

-Boardwalk Empire - Watched the first season, not a huge fan. decent show though, I expect to watch it eventually, just not high on my list. plus its a period piece.

If your into scifi at all? I recommend Falling Skies. Its on TNT (summer show) I enjoyed the first two seasons.

Also, Doctor Who (2005) It is on the 7th season and it is sooooo good. A bit campy in the first season and learning the Doctor Who lore takes time, but one of my favorite shows.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Expert

Also, The BBC series Sherlock, is fantastic. I just started watching it. 3 episode seasons (hour and a half episodes) so frakkin good.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.