Page 149 of 239 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 159 199 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3574

Thread: I need a new show...

Administrator

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    It’s been so long I can’t recall how Dexter ended but reading some tweet replies it wasn’t done well.
    Seasons 5-7 were so disappointing I couldn't bring myself to watch the final season, and based on the reviews, it was the correct choice. I'm loathe to quit on a show, but they really drove me away.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The Haunting of Hill House was awesome. Loved it.

But came here more so to suggest to entirely avoid The Haunting of Bly Mannor. Half way in its getting very tedious and slow and I've given up and just read ahead to see where it goes and even the plot synopsis was disappointing. Yawn.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wife & I have watched several recently discussed shows.
    Some comments:

re: Schitts Creek.
    We are just finishing this one. Man... this was a nice slow burn. In the first season, it feels kind of like a "nothing show"... but it ends up grabbing you the same way Seinfeld's characters and "nothing plot" became very solid. Not only are we seriously going to miss the characters on this show - but the one liners for GIFs in emails and texts are absolutely the best/most complete set for everyday responses that any show has ever offered!

re: Haunting of Bly Manor.
    These episodes are too long for one story. Through 4 episodes, I was (also) sort of asleep... but the 5th episode - with Hannah Grose (the housekeeper) shot ALL OVER THE PLACE. Sort of interesting in a "Dark" sort of time-jumping way. If you can focus, and stay with this episode, it may change the direction of the series. As this 5th episode (& 6th) are the strengths of the season, I think. The story is actually pretty solid... but the characters/actors were fairly weak. The two kids & the uncle are the only really captivating people. If the actors/actresses were better selected, I think this series could've hummed. FWIW - the series is based on "The Turn of The Screw" horror novel from a dude long time ago (James?). It even keeps several character names and a lot of the character stories... so it should be a fairly good production. I'd give it a 7/10.

re: Dexter.
    Sort of ditto. Dexter was one of my wife & I's fave shows for first 4 seasons. It definitely tanks in seasons 5-8. This show was SO hit&miss for characters. It seemed like the secondary cast was absolutely GAR-BAGE (talking, hot-stinky-flaming garbage). But there were spot fantastic castings through the seasons (esp. John Lithgow... but several other guest villains were solid). I'm actually excited about a new season because... HOPEFULLY... they punt all of the crappy Miami forensics characters... and especially Dexter's sister. Give me a whole new cast!!!. Be friggin cool if they set it up with Dexter in some completely new setting - like the north (Canada or US)... maybe have him in some "normal" lifestyle with some event that causes him to snap and return to his previous ways, maybe even in a fully evil, less "vigilante" sort of way. There's potential there... but they absolutely can't bring back the shitty supporting cast.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Seasons 5-7 were so disappointing I couldn't bring myself to watch the final season, and based on the reviews, it was the correct choice. I'm loathe to quit on a show, but they really drove me away.
    I watched Dexter right to the end, but it was soooo painful. I will watch the new season, in the hopes that they get it right this time and finish the series on a positive note. Probably naïve thinking on my part.

As an aside, I started watching "Six Feet Under" after finishing Dexter, and although it took me some time to wrap my head around Hall's character not being a serial killer, I really enjoyed that show. It is certainly one of my all-time favorites, with arguably the best series finale episode I've ever watched. Stark contrast from one Hall series to the next in that regard.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

I also lost interest in Dexter after a few seasons.

I recently started watching Away on Netflix, staring Hilary Swank. Im only a couple episodes in but so far so good. Not sure where it's going to go but we'll see.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I watched Dexter right to the end, but it was soooo painful. I will watch the new season, in the hopes that they get it right this time and finish the series on a positive note. Probably naïve thinking on my part.

As an aside, I started watching "Six Feet Under" after finishing Dexter, and although it took me some time to wrap my head around Hall's character not being a serial killer, I really enjoyed that show. It is certainly one of my all-time favorites, with arguably the best series finale episode I've ever watched. Stark contrast from one Hall series to the next in that regard.
    so many interesting characters in six feet under . I re-watched it again this spring when hockey was on pause . Rachel Griffiths , Lauren Ambrose , Frances Conroy blow me away with their acting in this series . Seeing Nate jogging in her side view mirror as she leaves for new york is quite the tear jerker in the finale .

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    looks like Dexter is coming out of retirement

BREAKING: Dexter is returning to Showtime for a 10-episode limited series with star Michael C. Hall, coming fall 2021. https://bit.ly/376oHoM
    I'll be all over this!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Tv show "Snatch" - loosely based on the movie (which was really good).
    Season 1 - excellent
    Season 2 - Meh. Ok I guess.

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a show coming out on Quibi that is called "Stranger" or something like that where an Uber driver picks up someone who had just randomly killed a rich person and told the driver that if she doesn't tell him a good story he'll kill her or something like that.

Looks like it's a show I'd be ok with streaming online illegal, but never actually pay for.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

So I finished up watching "Away" off Netflix last weekend. If you're looking for a Sci-Fi TV show about outer space, this isn't it. Dont get me wrong, it's about them going to Mars and all, but it's more of a damn drama than a Sci-Fi. I dont know if one single episode didnt have someone crying in it. Ugh. I watched it all only to see if they got to Mars or not, but other than that, it's just ok.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Mandalorian is back on Friday. That's great news. Loved season 1.

Fargo is just incredible so far. I highly recommend watching week to week.

Anyone watch the Undoing? Can't really go wrong with HBO mini series so I think I'll give that a shot next.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Good to hear on Fargo! (s4, yes? With Chris Rock?)
    That'll be next up on my list.

Gotta finish the last episode of the original Broadchurch... somebody tell me if s2 & s3 are worth watching?

Then we might watch Peaky Blinders through all seasons - heard too much good reviews on that one, especially current season. (?!)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Good to hear on Fargo! (s4, yes? With Chris Rock?)
    That'll be next up on my list.

Gotta finish the last episode of the original Broadchurch... somebody tell me if s2 & s3 are worth watching?

Then we might watch Peaky Blinders through all seasons - heard too much good reviews on that one, especially current season. (?!)
    I'm up-to-date on season 4 of Fargo...quite good. Typical Fargo...quirky characters, deadpan violence.

I watched Broadchurch S1-S3 over the last month. Somewhat predictable at times, especially with character development, but not a bad show.

Peaky Blinders is phenomenal. One of my favorite active TV shows.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Peaky Blinders is awesome.
    Personally, the 1st 3 seasons are far superior to the latter seasons.
    Season 1 with its relation to post WW1 I found incredibly compelling. All that gets lost in the later seasons... sadly.

The best part.... the show is loosely based off a real life 19th century Birmingham street gang of that name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaky_Blinders
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Peaky Blinders is awesome.
    Personally, the 1st 3 seasons are far superior to the latter seasons.
    Season 1 with its relation to post WW1 I found incredibly compelling. All that gets lost in the later seasons... sadly.

The best part.... the show is loosely based off a real life 19th century Birmingham street gang of that name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaky_Blinders
    Emphasis on loosely required

Speaking of post-WW1 televison. I'm only 2 episodes in but I am loving 'Perry Mason.' Absolutely stellar cast.