Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/20 (puff-puff-pass edition)

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/20 (puff-puff-pass edition)

STUDS

No Place Like Home

Congrats to the Pittsburgh Penguins for clinching home-ice through the Eastern Conference playoffs, with a win over the Bruins. The Pens continue to demonstrate their ability to win despite not having a full roster. Scary good.

I Am Stuck On Band-Aids, Cuz Band-Aids Are Stuck On Me!

Kris Letang, w/a PPG versus the Bruins has six points in last four games. Unfortunately for poolies, word is on his way to the locker room (post-game) Letang tripped over his shadow, landed on a bed of feathers (don't ask) and broke his mandible, ulna, sacrum, and tibia. He's listed as 'Day-to-Day'.

Hart Trophy Goes To...

John Tavares.

Johnny-T scored in the Islanders' shootout victory over the Winnipeg Jets, and lifted his team into a tie at 5th overall in the Eastern Conference. Tavares, performing at a point per game pace is the unquestioned leader of this Islanders team, and w/out whom they would not be ranked where they are.

Sorry Crosby supporters but when your team is clinching home-ice w/out your captain, it's difficult for me to be convinced he is more deserving of the MVP tag.

Foot In Mouth Disease

Since I hammered on Andrew Ladd a few weeks back he has done nothing but impress. Registering points in seven consecutive games, and of those five were multi-point performances. Yesterday, despite his team's loss, Ladder recorded two helpers.

Huh, Whouda Thunk It..?

Are these last four games a sign of things to come for Zach Bogosian? Poolies take note, Bogo in his last four games -in addition to his usual solid periphs andTOI munching minutes - has recorded seven points. Remember, the kid's only 22, so we may be seeing his inevitible evolution into an all around fantasy stud...or a mere anomoly to be ignored. Me thinking the former, he's on my radar for next year's draft.

Him Again?

Alex Ovechkin is making a case for MVP. Another statement game yesterday, with 2G (1PPG), 1A, and 6SOG. Ovie has 51 points on the season and leads the league in goals w/30.

Riding The Wave

Other benefactors of the Caps recent success are Troy Brower who last night had a very nice multi-cat outing: 2 G, plus-2, 4 SOG, 1 GWG, 5 Hits, and 2 Blks

Also Mike "Rib Shot" Ribeiro - all the power play points a poolie can pack, 3 assists in last night's contest, and points in seven of last eight (four of which were multi-point performances).

...and There Was Much Rejoicing

Major props to my northern neighbors, the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs managed to secure their first berth since 2004. The usual suspects showed up on the stat line. Finding the twine were Lupul, Kadri and van Riemsdyk (2).

However, the entire team should be buying Leafs goalie, James Reimer, dinner...no, eff that...the team should be buying him an entire restaurant for his performance last night. Reimer stopped 49 of 50 shots, in one sublime performance.

Speaking of Buying Goalies Dinner...

Corey Schneider was THE reason the Vancouver Canucks were able to clinch a playoff spot - winning against the Detroit Red Wings. The Wings sailed 34 shots at Schneider, and he responded by stopping all but one - including all three of Detroits shoot out attemps.

Canucks best register more than the 14 SOG they piddled out last night or they won't make it very far into the post season.

Better Late Than Never...or maybe not

Well, well, well, look who decided to show up to the party? Wayne Simmonds with an absolutely beast like mult-cat night, giving poolies a reminder of why we have him on our teams. Despite the Flyers being eliminated from the playoffs, Simmonds decided to bust out of his slump w/authority by posting a hat trick (his first goals since April 3rd), in addition to 1 A, plus-4, 2 PIM, 2 Hits, and 1 Blk.

Simmonds' teammate, Matt Read, coincidentally decided to take this game to break out of his lull of late registering 1 G, 2 A, plus-4, 3 SOG and 1 Hit.

Faulk Me? Faulk You!

The Huuricanes lost night 5-3, yet Justin Faulk finished a plus-3 w/his usual 25 TOI. He also scored a goal. In fact, Faulk has points now in four straight and sits at a plus-6 during that span despite the 'Canes losing three of those games.

He's about as safe a play at D as you can get, at this point.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

• Alex Edler has four points in last five outings.
    • 'Yotes D-man, David Schlemko, managed to score on his first ever shoot out attempt. And kept his team's playoff [false] hopes alive.
    • Jakob Silfverberg was the only Senator to blemish Riemer's otherwise other-worldly performance. I love the watching this kid skate.
    • Frans Nielson has five points in last five games. Solid TOI, and some PPTOI as well, for poolies in need of a filler.
    • Brandon Prust was the recipient of the Jacques-Beauchamp Trophy as Montreal's unsung hero.
    • Braden Holtby stopped 35 of 36 shots and has now won seven of his last eight starts.
    • David Clarkson finally had a nice multi-cat night registering 1 G, 1 A, plus-2, 8 SOG and 1 Hit
    • Nice to see Jeff Skinner back in action, after his concussion scare. Recorded a goal, and we won't mention anything about the 'Canes losing their last nine of ten home games.

DUDS

The Anti-Hart Trophy Goes To...

Milan Lucic.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Lucic was a healthy scratch versus the Penguins. If that's not a statement by Julien, I don't know what would be.

The once dominating power forward has two goals in 27 games and seems to have finally hit bottom. And the Bruins as a whole are unable to pull themselves out of this tail spin they find themselves in.

Reimer's Corollary? (or...Maybe you Should Buy the Team Dinner)

What is up with Carey Price? I know the Canadien's defense isn't playing at full tilt right now, but Price should be better than this. In yesterday's loss to the Caps, Price allowed 5 goals on 25 shots for an 80 SV%. That is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Price has lost four of his last five and has a 5 GAA in that span.

A.P.B on P.K.

Can someone explain to me why PK Subban has but 2 hits in his last nine games? Perhaps he's too concerned about the offensive side of the ledger? Needs to get back to basics and play the position for which he ws hired.

No Silver Lining Here

Florida Panthers have been outscored 17-5 in last three games. Markstrom loses fifth straight, while the team in front of him managed a mere 13 SOG. Team GAA average ranks 30th in the NHL, while their GFA ranks 29th.

Someone please stop the bleeding.

Low Hurdles

The Vancouver Canucks leading goal scorer, Alex Burrows (13), has 1 point in his last five games and 2 in last seven. Did I mention the 14 SOG in yesterday's match up?
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; April 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

Terrific stuff, Bomm!

Dobber Sports Ninja

An emotional win for Schneider being a Boston native.

Awesome as usual Bommer.

Dobber Sports Expert

Another awesome read for my Sunday morning!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Initiate

Awesome, well done Bomm!
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com