Thread: Studs & Duds - Thursday April 18, 2013

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Studs & Duds - Thursday April 18, 2013

From myself and newfcollins

Studs

“Haute Couture”

Logan continues to dominate at the Shark tank, 22 of his 34 points have come at home. His 4 pointer last night was also his 8th multi-point game of the season. After being blanked by Minnesota in the first 2 games he made up for it last night with 2 goals and 2 assists. Unfortunately, but only from a fantasy perspective, only 1 of those points came on the power play. In addition to the 4 points he also fired 6 shots on goal, threw 2 hits, won 11 of 16 face-offs and finished the night +3.

Haute Couture refers to clothing that is often made-to-order using high-quality and expensive fabrics. Each garment is sewn with extreme detail and hand-finished by the most experienced couturiers.

I find it fitting (pun intended) that Logan is living up to his name. He is high quality, he has impeccable attention to detail and he certainly has the hand-techniques to finish.

Couture – 2 G, 2 A, +3, 6 SOG, 2 HITS, 11 FOW

Tavares and the Boyes drinking Moulson

The trio woke up half way through the first period. After being down 2 goals to the Toronto “Why can’t we clinch yet” Maple Leafs, Tavares and company combined for 4 of the Islanders 5 goals.

Tavares to Boyes, scores! Boyes to Moulson, scores! Moulson to Tavares … Boyes to Tavares … Scores!

In roughly 40 minutes of game time the three of them ripped it up for 8 points, +9, 10 SOG, 4 BS and 2 HITS. Now there’s a line that won’t be kicked off of any fantasy Island anytime soon!

Tavares – 2 G, 1 A, +3, 4 SOG, 2 BS, 1 HIT, just over 50% in FOW and the GWG!
    Boyes – 1 G, 2 A, +3, 3 SOG and 1 HIT
    Moulson – 1 G, 1A, +3, 3 SOG, 2 BS and his goal was on the power play.

Rick “I ain’t no country singer” Nash

The name Nash appears to be synonymous with success. Steve Nash, basketball; John Nash, mathematician and Nash Bridges, okay I’m clutching a little with this one but a TV show that runs for 6 years must be somewhat successful.

Rick Nash showed why he will continue to be successful with the Rangers after last night’s game. He is finding great chemistry with Callahan and Brassard as they were each in on 3 of the Ranger’s 6 goals. Nash and Brassard also scored the game’s only power play goals, one of which was the game winner.
    I’m pretty sure that, had the Panthers not peppered Lundy with 35 shots, Nash would have been one of the game’s 3 stars. Nevertheless, Nash’s 3 points last night brings him up to a respectable 38 points in 39 games since joining the Blueshirts.

Nash – 1 G, 2 A, +1, 1 SOG, 2 PPP

Marty “10% of the games I have played have been shutouts!” Brodeur

The New Jersey netminder did it again last night with a 23 save shutout to bring his total to 121. Admittedly the Devils could have used a few more of these with the way they have been playing lately. I am not going to be one to argue with a 40 year old that can still play the game at an elite level though.

Brodeur’s numbers are still in line with recent seasons, albeit the wins are lacking. If you have him as a spot starter his peripheral stats will help more than hinder.

Brodeur – 23 SV, GAA 0.00, SV% 1.000, 1 SO (Season so far – 11 W, 8 L, 7 OTL, .905 SV%, 2.16 GAA, 2 SO)

Afterthoughts

Kyle Turris – 2 G, +3, 2 PIM, 3 SOG, 2 HITS and 13 of 20 FOW

Dallas Stars – 13 pts, +15, 18 PIM, 11 BS, 25 HITS and were totally kicking the Canucks in the nuts for the duration of the 3rd period.

Blake Wheeler – Another 5 game point streak with last night’s 3 pointer. 1 G, 2 A, +3, and 2 HITS

Bryan Little – Also on a 5 game point streak with last night’s 2 assists.

Duds

Oh Danny Boy

Daniel Briere: I can’t see any situation where Briere is not bought out this summer. He just doesn’t have the same zip to his game as before. Last night was pretty bad. Zero points, minus-2, no Pims, no hits, no blocked shots. In his last 11 games, Briere has just two assists and is a minus-11.

Back off!

Nicklas Backstrom: Zero points, minus-two, only one shot and lost nine of 15 faceoffs. For all the talk of how great he’s been with Alexander Ovechkin the last 20 games or so, but he has no goals in his last nine games, and only six overall (an 11-goal pace in an 82-game season).

No Lightning bolt

Steven Stamkos: At the beginning of April, things were looking great for Stamkos. He was running away with the goal-scoring lead, and once Sidney Crosby got injured, had a chance for the Art Ross (and possibly the Hart too). But in 10 April games, Stamkos has only two goals and five assists. Last night, zero points, no hits, no blocked shots, and nine for 19 in the faceoff dot. Not a good month for Stamkos.

Wild thing?

Mikko Koivu: It’s almost like the Wild are trying to miss the playoffs. They’ve lost seven of 10 games in April. In that span, Koivu has one goals, no assists and is a minus-six. Last night was particularly bad, as he finished with no points, a minus-three, and a losing faceoff record (10 for 24), which is a rarity for Koviu.

Dishonourable mentions:

Evander Kane: Zero points, minus-two in a Jets victory.

Henrik Sedin: Zero points, minus-one, and a miserable seven-for-18 in the faceoff circle.

Nick Bjugstad: I understand he’s a rookie and all, but how do you win only one of eight faceoffs?

Nazem Kadri: Since the talk of Kadri for the Hart trophy, he’s gone cold, with zero goals and two assists in eight April games. Last night was brutal, with a minus-two, no points, and three-for-14 faceoff record.

Last edited by sixhands; April 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com