Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/13

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/13

STUDS

BIG MAC ATTACK

Flames aged rookie () net minder, Joey MacDonald, has rebounded nicely since his 8-2 loss on April 3rd to the Oilers. With last night's win over the same team, Mac has settled in to win his third consecutive contest.

BOTTOM LINE

2.01 GAA (2nd among NHL goalies @ >25 GPs)
    .932 SV% (1st among NHL goalies @ >25 GPs)
    4 Shutouts (Tied for second)
    Current Streak: 3 wins

Name: Sergei Bobrovsky

Feh! I laugh at your silly goaltenders...

Alex Chiasson (heard of him??), again records a goal. His sixth in as many games. Unfortunately, my slotted post-game interview was canceled. Apparently, Chiasson was busy giving Daniel Sedin pointers.

Jiri-KA!

Jiri Tlusty is back! Scored twice last night, in a win over The Devil's Rejects...er, Boston Bruins (sorry, sometimes my Sabres bias bleeds through). Tlusty now has 19 goals on the season, and recorded a nice multi-cat bottom line last night w/ 6 SOG, 2 Hits and finished a plus-2, in addition to his two goals.

CAPITAL OFFENSE

Almost wound up on the 'DUDS' side of the ledger, after nearly blowing a four goal lead, but, alas, the Washington Capitals persevered over the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Caps have now won seven consecutive games - of which only once did the Caps offense record two-or-less goals. In fact, the Capitals sit with a league ranking of 6th overall in team GFA (3 goals/game). Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Holtby all solid plays right now.

What's In A Name? That Which We Call Rose...

Yes, King Henrik is back in the studs column. Believe last night's was his first shutout of the season?? We poolies will always plug-in-play Lundqvist because of his name and solid periphs - seemingly in spite of the fact that he has strung together >2 consecutive wins but twice this year.

BACK IT UP, BACK IT IN. LET ME BEGIN, I CAME TO WIN!

Jhonas Enroth, jumping all around in that third period in order to solidify his 29save shutout performance over the Flyers. I expect Jhonas to play once more, before the season concludes. I also expect Hackett/Enroth tandem next year. Just a hunch....

HONORABLE MENTIONS

• Gabrielle Landeskog had a lovely multi-cat performance: 1G, plus-1, 5SOG, 7 Hits, and 2 BLKs. Poolies need more of that Gabby!
    • Props to Chad Ruhwedel holing his own in his first ever pro game (let alone NHL game). The Buffalo Sabres, desperate for defense support (ironically considering the roster at the start of the season) signed Ruhwedel straight out of the college ranks. Ruhwedel played a defensively sound game along side Mike Weber, recording 13 mins, 1 SOG
    • 52%...the odds Phil Kessel records a multi-point game when recording a point at all.
    • Props to Jay Harrison for standing up to and holding his own (see: not getting destroyed) by Zdeno "Tiny" Chara.
    • Kris Letang would be absolutely beast-like if he weren't a certified Band-Aid Boy. 30 pts in as many GPs, this year. Just don't breath on him.
    • Jonathan Quick records his second straight win!! In response to Quick's formal inquiry to the league for re-starting the season as a re-do, Gary Bettman replied "Um...no."
    • Drew Doughty heating up at the right time for poolies, with points in five of last six games.

DUDS

OIL [NOT SO] SLICK

The Oilers are now riding a painful five game losing skid (of the bacon strip variety). Sam Gagner, the team's leading scorer, is stuck at 14 on the year, and has literally no offensive support during that span from Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, or Eberle - all with ZERO points. In fact, the only player among the Fab-Five worth a damn is Yakupov, who has three points during the Oilers most recent spill (I am a punny guy).

A MARKED MAN

Jacob Markstrom lost his third straight and has accumulated a 4.6 GAA in as many games. Sitting at 2.93 GAA and a .910SV% on the year, Markstrom has the dubious pleasure of being a struggling goalie on a bad team.

PRICE REDUCTION

Carey Price chased from the net, after allowing three goals on four shots. Need I say more?

The number of goals by Alex Burrows, the Vancouver Canucks team leader in goals. Apparently, someone forgot to inform Daniel Sedin these games count. This is his lowest goal output since 05-06, and his poorest shot% since 01-02. For perspective (as if any more is needed)...Jiri Tlusty has more goals (19).

GOAL-KEEP-ER

(noun) a player who defends the goal in any of various games (as hockey, lacrosse, or soccer)

Or what the Tampa Bay Lightning are desperately in need of. Losing four of the last five while allowing an average of 5 goals per, even the Colorado Avalanche goalies could be heard saying "Damn. That's just bad goal tending!"

QUITE, PLEASE

To that d-bag in golf course galleries that feels compelled to bellow from his sphincter "GET IN THE HOLE!" before the ball manages to get off the tee box..please, STFU.

TAKE TWO ASPIRIN AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING

Maybe Corey Schneider returned too soon from his bout w/the flu, who knows. But that's really no relief to poolies in playoff matchups. Schneider had a pedestrian .824 SV% in yesterday's loss - allowing the GWG w/ 7.6 seconds remaining.

SEEN BUT NOT HEARD

It was at the 16 minute mark of the third period when I heard the play-by-play analyst utter Claude Giroux's name for the first time. That can't be good.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; April 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Fantastic Bomm, excellent read
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great write up Bomm! Just read it right now