Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Barkov didn't play anything but some shifts here and there with Connolly or Koskiranta. Nieminen was his linemate, but I'd say it was Barkov who made Nieminen better, not vice versa. And I saw Barkov live about dozen times this season. He is that good. I haven't seen Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin play enough to have a legit opinion on them, but if they really are a lot better than Barkov, they must be superstar calibre players.

As for Barkov's fantasy value, it may be affected by the same issue Datsyuk has: He is too good in the own end.
    *** Finnish hockey and fantasy hockey enthusiast
    ** Playing lots of NHL and SM-liiga fantasy leagues.
    * Follow me in Twitter: @miikaarponen

14 teams dynasty keeper league
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: Stamkos, Backstrom, E.Staal, J.Staal, Henrique
    LW: Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Lupul, Lucic, Kunitz
    RW: Malkin, Selanne, Read, C.Smith, Caron
    D: Chara, Pitkanen, Kronwall, Timonen, Subban, Souray, Zidlicky
    G: Luongo, Kiprusoff, Ward, Greiss
    2009-10 5th, 2010-11 5th, 2011-12 1st

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Noma View Post
    Barkov didn't play anything but some shifts here and there with Connolly or Koskiranta. Nieminen was his linemate, but I'd say it was Barkov who made Nieminen better, not vice versa. And I saw Barkov live about dozen times this season. He is that good. I haven't seen Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin play enough to have a legit opinion on them, but if they really are a lot better than Barkov, they must be superstar calibre players.

As for Barkov's fantasy value, it may be affected by the same issue Datsyuk has: He is too good in the own end.
    Thanks for this clarification. Rep'd!
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Noma View Post

What did their power play look like?
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    I was just using an extreme example to validate my point a bit from ridiculous to ponder-able. I'm not sure why if someone has an opposing view than that of the majority around here it can be so ill-received. It's just food for thought, I'm not putting the deed up.

Barkov's situation: Niemenen has some NHL experience and has enjoyed success in SM-Liiga, Connoly had a great college career and Koskiranta looks like he's done well enough for himself for a younger player.

Lehkonen's situation: playing with one decent guy in Salminen and then there's zero supporting cast. I'm not saying he's any better than Barkov, but Barkov is in a much better situation. Barkov has almost twice the games from the previous year as well, so there's also a bit more comfort for him I would think.

Even if you go back to Saku Koivu's first year, he played 46 games with only 10 points. It's pretty much apples and oranges I'm sure comparing the league decades apart, but still.

No one is going to draft Lehkonen ahead of Barkov, real world or fantasy, but to state it's ridiculous that one 17 year old could end up having a more successful career than another at this stage is bold.
    Apologies if you feel your post was ill-received, not my intention, I should have used the word BOLD instead. Only reason I used the word ridiculous is because I have not heard/read of a single scout or so called expert even remotely consider the fact that Barkov is not the best Finnish prospect of this draft, kind of like saying Jones my not be the best US born D in this draft. As to who has the best NHL career, that can be up for debate but hands down (imo) Barkov is the top prospect from Finland.
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm not a prospect guru, but I'll throw out there my analysis ofthe top-3 prospects anyways just for the sake of the discussion while I wait for the prospect guide. Based on my limited observations (highlights during the regular season and Memorial Cup games):

- Drouin is the gifted one but I'm concerned that he won't be able to control the puck as much in the NHL. I think this will impact his transition to the NHL, but he is so talented that he will eventually adapt. Drouin reminds me of RNH.
    - MacKinnon is both talented and energetic. His style will translate easily into the NHL. He plays like impact players do in the NHL; he does all the right things. I don't see much adaptation needed from his part. MacKinnon reminds me of Stamkos.
    - Jones controls the play when he is on the ice and makes his team look good. He likes to play deep into the offensive zone, which he won't be able to do in the NHL (or at least not in his first years while he adapts to NHL pace). Jones reminds me of Chara.

Jones is almost a year older than MacKinnon and Drouin. This may be good for Jones as he is more mature and may from a physical standpoint be more NHL ready, but on the other hand if you compare Jones when he was 17 to MacKinnon and Drouin, MacKinnon and Drouin are probably ahead of him in terms of talent development (I wouldn’t know, I didn’t see Jones play last year).

I have hesitated before adding a NHL player comparison, because there isn't any right fit. I know most have compared Drouin-MacKinnon-Jones to Kane-Toews-Pronger. But from my couch potato point of view, these were not the players I was seeing on the ice when I was watching these top prospects. All this is just for fun, so I decided to keep my comparison.

On a side note, I think all three would have been picked before Yakupov last year if they were all of the same age. As a Habs fan I really like Galchenyuk but I can't help but to think that the Habs chose the wrong year to suck (if you can call it a choice).
    STL – Single Team League
    1-team league – Head-to-? – Single Category: TOI
    F: Radulov, Stahal, Gaborik
    D: Gilbert, Brule
    G: Brodeur, Kinkaid
    Utility: Semin
    Farm: Tsujimoto

2011-12 and 2013-14 Champion! (I was disqualified in 2012-13 by the commish. Reason given: tanking)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would never take Drouin over yak, but I would consider jones or mackinnon if I was an nhl gm, But yak is by far the 3rd best of the 4!! also barkov will be a true stud I wont be surprised if he has a better career than drouin but don't get me wrong if drouin adapts to nhl he wont be no slouch either. In fantasy points only I take drouin before mack but I take yak before both of them
    Kansas City Scouts
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 68Cap Use Cap Hit
    F- Hall PKane Gaudreu Lindholm Toffoli Tatar DSedin HSedin Monahan Nash Couture Schfiele Burakovsky Kucherov
    D-Shultz Gelinas Savard BSmith
    G-Price Rinne
    FARM- Barkov Prince RMurphy

New York Raiders
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 64.3Cap Use Yearly Salary
    F-Backstrom Hall Stamkos Stastny Eller Zetterberg Galchenyuk holland Raymond Griffith Zibinajead Barkov Kuznetsov Sheahan Schfiele
    D-Shultz Faulk Franson Hunwick
    G-Price
    FARM- Marcantouni Dansk Grigerenko Morrisey

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheWarrior View Post
    I would never take Drouin over yak, but I would consider jones or mackinnon if I was an nhl gm, But yak is by far the 3rd best of the 4!! also barkov will be a true stud I wont be surprised if he has a better career than drouin but don't get me wrong if drouin adapts to nhl he wont be no slouch either. In fantasy points only I take drouin before mack but I take yak before both of them
    This is coming from a Oiler fan and a Yakupov owner.. But it definitely is debatable, I wonder where Yakupov and Galchekyuk would go in this draft??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    This is coming from a Oiler fan and a Yakupov owner.. But it definitely is debatable, I wonder where Yakupov and Galchekyuk would go in this draft??
    For me

Jones 1A
    Mack 1B
    Yakupov
    Barkov
    Nichushkin
    Drouin
    Gally
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; May 31, 2013 at 4:09 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Guru

7 hours left until the draft begins!
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Initiate

Anyone know if the Draft is being streamed online anywhere?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    Anyone know if the Draft is being streamed online anywhere?
    According to this thread nobody has discovered any live streaming as of yet

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=153803

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I found this, it says there are 4 stations announced to broadcast this match but it doesn't start until an hour before the draft.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?...38&part=sports
    14 H2H team dynasty, start 4C, 8W, 6D and 1G

G, A, SOG, GWG, PPP, SHP, H+B, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%

C - Tavares, Eriksson Ek, Frost, Geekie
    W - Skinner, Kreider, Sharangovich, Stone, Robertson, Hagel, Tolvanen
    D - Josi, Gudas, Montour, Fehervary, Jones
    G - Andersen

Bench - Ingram, Forsberg, Mrazek

FARM
    F - Bergstrom, Tolvanen, Robertson, Benson, Dube, Balcers
    D - Clague, Guile, Smith
    G - Sparks, Petersen

Dobber Sports Genius

i might check that out or go to my parents if my wife doesn't pop out a baby.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Initiate

Any reason why Martin Brodeur's son, Anthony, isn't ranked by NHL Central Scouting going into the draft? Pretty decent stats for Shattuck St. Mary's this season, not to mention the bloodlines he's representing...