Thread: What should we use as tiebreaker in H2H playoffs?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default What should we use as tiebreaker in H2H playoffs?

Hey Guys,

looking for some non biased opinions from others that are not in our league on how tiebreakers should be dealt with in multi cat leagues H2H format in playoffs. Please let me know how your Fantrax league deals with this, and what do you think?

should we use specific CATS, or a few CATS?

or

should we use Regular season standings?

Or something different?
    Last edited by teamplayer7; April 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sorry for not answering sooner. I've only been in one H2H playoff, so I may not be the best person to answer this question.

I know in my roto leagues, I use Goals, then Points as my tiebreakers. I would not be adverse to using Regular season standings as that at least puts some weight to the regular season standings.

Hope that helps.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Deciding now what it ought to be may be a lil arbitrary and may have influenced how people drafted their team, i.e., that CAT heavy..

I like regular season standings, more objective and everybody strategizes to get the most wins so. Ha. Just my opinion..
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Icon

Regular season standings is a good one. Or you can go with previous matchups between the two teams who are playing each other. I strongly dislike using categories unless that was made clear prior to the draft
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

I strongly dislike picking (a) category/ies as throughout the year every one has the same importance with regards to your weekly matchups. That should not change come playoff time.

My ideal one, which I'm not sure is available, is that you calculate the week's production on a per game basis. So, it would reward the more efficient team during the week. For example, if you scored 10 goals out of 20 man games played in your lineup, your 'Goals per game' total is 0.5 (10/20). If your opponent scored 11 goals out of 23 games, his 'Goals per game' total is 0.48 (11/23). So, you would win that category. Add up the per game totals (using a few decimal places) and that should break the tie.

Actually, I would love for this to be the norm in all leagues for the entire season, as it would add more strategy rather than the current plug 'n play.

If that option is not available, then head to head record during the season seems the fairest, but it's not great since why should something that has no effect on the current matchup decide the winner? I'm not sure what other options would be better though.

By the way, is this for this year's playoffs? If so, isn't there a rule already in place? There shouldn't be any changes post-draft. If you want to make this a rule, do it for next year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've seen tie-breaks several different ways.

I would consider two options:

Option #1, if your pool ONLY rewards the playoffs (and not the regular season), I'd probably be inclined to make the winner the team with the better regular season standing. H2H is very much luck... so I think there is a decent case that a team should be rewarded for their regular season standing.

Option #2, if your pool does award something to the regular season champion, then I think you should consider the H2H playoff portion as completely separate. For this tie-break, I'd simply go with a category:

i) Goals
    ii) Wins.
    iii) Points.

In that order.
    Those stats are pretty much the most popular stats in hockey.

Dobber Sports Genius

For the playoffs in must win scenerio I like usring these as the tie breakers:

1. Goals
    2. Assists
    3. GWG or Wins
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Regular season standings is a good one. Or you can go with previous matchups between the two teams who are playing each other. I strongly dislike using categories unless that was made clear prior to the draft

Yeah.
    Our league gives the win to the higher seed. That's what makes the reg season so important. Playoffs in fantasy sports can be kind of a crapshoot. In basketball for example most good players are being rested for the actual playoffs so you're not getting a true representation of how good of a team you actually built.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Genius

For me the regular season is about winning your division to win some cash and the seeding heading into the playoffs and thats it. Once the playoffs start the regular season becomes irrelevant. If the teams are tied in the playoffs I think you need use a "specific cat" to deteremine the winner.

Ties rarely come up in the playoffs but now that I said that there will be lots in my league! lol
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Superstar

As discussed you should have this decided well in advance of the playoffs, and ideally before a draft but if you don't have one and it comes up you need to have a rationale basis for any decision. In my opinion once the standings are final and the seedings made the regular season is dead and buried and all that matters is winning this week to advance. Further, because the ideal strategy changes between the regular season (longer term focus) and playoffs(need to win this week) I dislike the idea of using any regular season stats to decide the playoffs (whether it be higher seed or head-to-head record). Yes fantasy playoffs can be a giant crapshoot in a 1-week situation but everyone in the league knows that and that's what they signed up for if you want season long stats to be given more weight you can play a roto format.

Given this rationale I'd go Goals, Wins, Points, as the 3 first tie-breakers, to be overly cautious I'd rank every category in case you saw the closest matchup in history. If it has come to your leagues attention you don't have a rule I'd say make one immediately you never know what week may end up tied and having or not having the tie-breaker could effect strategy late in a playoff round.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR