Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Butler for... too much?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Butler for... too much?

League in sig. A guy just took over the team that was in dead last and has Butler on the block. Seeing as how my first base position is filled by old (Konerko) and possibly useless (Smoak) players, I inquired. The offer is:

My: Harvey/Walker/Castellanos/Tallon
    His: Butler

I can probably get an early pick out of him too, but that's it.

I love Butler but his 1B eligibility scares the hell outta me. He played 20 games at 1B last year, which is the exact number required for maintaining that eligibility. If he plays 19 this year then next year he'll only be a DH until he plays 5 games at 1B and gets the eligibility back for the remainder of the year. Blahhhhh.

So - please tell me I'm not crazy by rejecting this and waiting it out. Maybe Smoak is good....right? Or maybe I can try and get another 1B for a lot less.

Butler was the 4th best 1B last year in our league.

I like Harvey and will probably need him. I don't trust my Lincecum or Hanson anymore :\
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    League in sig. A guy just took over the team that was in dead last and has Butler on the block. Seeing as how my first base position is filled by old (Konerko) and possibly useless (Smoak) players, I inquired. The offer is:

My: Harvey/Walker/Castellanos/Tallon
    His: Butler

I can probably get an early pick out of him too, but that's it.

I love Butler but his 1B eligibility scares the hell outta me. He played 20 games at 1B last year, which is the exact number required for maintaining that eligibility. If he plays 19 this year then next year he'll only be a DH until he plays 5 games at 1B and gets the eligibility back for the remainder of the year. Blahhhhh.

So - please tell me I'm not crazy by rejecting this and waiting it out. Maybe Smoak is good....right? Or maybe I can try and get another 1B for a lot less.

Butler was the 4th best 1B last year in our league.

I like Harvey and will probably need him. I don't trust my Lincecum or Hanson anymore :\
    On one hand, KC has no real amazing 1B prospects. On the other hand, they have Hosmer, who played all but 3 games last year at 1st. I'd say it was more due to luck that Butler kept his 1B eligibility. I don't think the risk is worth it, it's a big gamble. And apparently Smoak is looking a little better this year? Who knows. I'd target someone else, personally, because you don't look lie your team could run a guy with a DH eligibility only, and losing guys like harvey and walker(Taijuan?) isn't worth it for a 1 year rental unless you think ou can grab the championship this year.

And honestly, cut Hanson. He's ruined.
    Last edited by lockedge; March 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    On one hand, KC has no real amazing 1B prospects. On the other hand, they have Hosmer, who played all but 3 games last year at 1st. I'd say it was more due to luck that Butler kept his 1B eligibility. I don't think the risk is worth it, it's a big gamble. And apparently Smoak is looking a little better this year? Who knows. I'd target someone else, personally, because you don't look lie your team could run a guy with a DH eligibility only, and losing guys like harvey and walker(Taijuan?) isn't worth it for a 1 year rental unless you think ou can grab the championship this year.

And honestly, cut Hanson. He's ruined.
    LOL I appreciate the honesty of that last line. I really do. If there was anyone on the WW to cut Hanson for I would. He's got about 10 starts this year to get his shit together or he can kiss his ass goodbye for a prospect! hahaha

I like your take on the trade, thanks for that too. It's exactly what I'm worried about. Unless KC trades him to a team that needs him at 1B primarily, it's a big risk.

I even tried to get Ike Davis but that guy wants too much. FOR IKE DAVIS!

I'm so stuck.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Initiate

give the other guy credit for trying to sell super high on butler. you don't have to be the sucker on the purchase end of this deal. that package he wants is way too much. pass.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don't do it bud! He's selling very high in butler and I think what you have may surprise you. Harvey will be a beast and I just read a good article on smoak today that's pretty good. I think you should wait this out bud.

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/133175/fan...tm_source=t.co

Dobber Sports Star

Passing on this. Thanks fellas.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Star

Small update. He still wants my prospects or Harvey. Butler's eligibility still scares me. He needs 20 starts at 1B to be eligibile for the position next year in my league. The offers are:

His Butler
    My Harvey/Walker

(I've already verbally passed on that - I need Harvey. Suck it Lincecum and Hanson)

His Butler
    My Skaggs/Taillon/Castellanos/Walker

We can protect 4 minor leaguers each year and right now I have waaaay too many. This trade would leave me with Bundy, Profar and Archie Bradley, assuming none of them get called up and stay up this year. I can also pick up Rafael Montero or about 15-20 other top 100 prospects still available.

I may be able to get James McDonald or Edwin Jackson in this trade, but I wouldn't be keeping either of them and I'm not huge fans of theirs anyway.

Still too much?
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like this one much better! I'm a fan of prospects but I've always had a "win today" mentality and with the 3 prospects you've got left over I like butlers production! So many things can happen to prospects and butler is a sure thing IMO. I would not trade Harvey though he's going to be special! But the 4 prospects and if you got an ok arm with billy, I'd do that all day myself.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus1717 View Post
    I like this one much better! I'm a fan of prospects but I've always had a "win today" mentality and with the 3 prospects you've got left over I like butlers production! So many things can happen to prospects and butler is a sure thing IMO. I would not trade Harvey though he's going to be special! But the 4 prospects and if you got an ok arm with billy, I'd do that all day myself.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Prospects are so volatile. You just never know.

It sounds like I wouldn't be able to get an arm included in the deal if it's just prospects going his way.

Might still try and whittle him down to 3 of the prospects and a conditional pick lol

thanks ruck
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Anytime bud! I'd be happier giving up 3 prospects but I wouldn't lose sleep over the 4! If you're looking to win this year butler is an RBI machine!

Dobber Sports Star

Now he wants Konerko instead of Skaggs as a replacement 1B for the year. What the hell is happening here?! lol

SO...my: Konerko, Smoak, Taillon, Walker and a conditional pick (if I make the money - top 4)

For

Butler

I would like to keep Konerko on my team this year and just DH Butler. Blahhhhh.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Jeeze man this guys is wacked! I'd have to think about the last one! Seems like you're now giving up a lot of pieces for 1 good guy.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Butler is barely better than Konerko. Younger, sure, but Paulie's not done yet. I'd be looking for a pitching upgrade rather than a very marginal 1B upgrade. And is there no Util spot? So if Butler doesn't play 20 games at 1B then he's useless? In that case I'd definitely stay put.

And I know Medlen is nice because of his RP eligibility, but I'd trade him if you could while he's still a hot name. Check out his competition last season in his amazing September. A bunch of crappy teams with expanded (ie: watered down) rosters.

And I wouldn't be so sure that you have way too many prospects. Depending on keeper rules, you might not be able to keep Profar, Bundy or Skaggs as prospects since all of them will probably finish the year in the majors. And Profar is probably going to disappoint a lot of people as most of his real-life value and hype stem from his elite SS defense. Maybe you can trade him for nice SP upgrade from a rebuilding team.

Also, Smoak is garbage. Don't rely on him for anything.

Dobber Sports Star

Actually thats a good point about the minor leaguers. As long as CBS counts them as M before September 1st (I think) we can carry them forward as such. So I could end up needing to keep like 3 of them as regular roster spots, of which we have 20 max. We can keep up to 4 M's.

Smoak was a late round gamble. He sucks

We do have 1 util spot so he wouldn't be TOTALLY useless, but I need a for-sure 1B. Especially if Pauly retires. But he's not getting Pauly in this deal.

Your point about Profar is something I've wondered about since I got him. Is he going to be one of those guys thats better in real life than he ever will be in fantasy?? I asked that once and got rave reviews about him but I dunno.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He'll be good, but he isn't the best fantasy prospect in the game. Think Elvis Andrus... elite defender, decent hitter, good speed, but he's not gonna blow you away with fantasy stats. With the hype he has going for him, you might be able to get a big haul for him. Something to think about, at least.

And yeah, I would bet that 2 or 3 of those guys will be in the majors before Sept 1. So they'd count toward your MLB keepers. Honestly I'd just stay put and let him keep Butler unless he wants to let him go for Bundy or something. But definitely not a huge package of prospects.