Thread: Keeper expanding from 12 teams to 16 - what to do about goalies? Help!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Keeper expanding from 12 teams to 16 - what to do about goalies? Help!

Hey guys our Yahoo dynasty H2H league is thinking of expanding from 12 teams to 16 and we are having an issue with what to do about our goaltending situation. I have put a limit on each team only being able to keep 2 goalies at the end of the year so new teams have a chance at at least one starter. However, guys like Lindback and Holtby can be sent to prospect rosters so there's going to be guys lost there.

There are only 30 #1 NHL starting goaltenders. 16 teams x 2 starting goalies = 32 goalies.

This creates a problem. We have a minimum of 3 starts per week so teams don't just start a goalie once and get a shutout.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should we just expand to 14 teams? Is there a way to work around this with goalie starts?

Thanks for any helpful advice! It's the league in my sig.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

we had a similar expansion during last years offseason going from 14 to 16 teams.. team 1 in my sig (which has since sadly had to fold)

There's really not much you can do to avoid managers from keeping the players they want.. looking at it from their standpoint, it wouldnt really be fair for them to lose players they've worked hard to own. I agree you need to set a limit on how many each team can protect, but if they fall under the prospect category you cant really change that now..

we had a salary and contracts (had extensions we could use each year to resign guys) so we had a little bit more of a limit to the guys we could protect..

but overall, the expansion teams are going to have to struggle a while before they become contenders..
    One expansion team was able to draft lindback (was left unprotected from one manager, but this was before he was traded to tampa) so he got lucky with that.
    The other expansion team traded for bobrovski, which worked out for him as well.. both teams didnt have to struggle that bad to meet the goalie start minimum.

I'll say this about an expansion in a dynasty.. it encourages a lot of trading throughout the league.. was a fun time
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. If you go 16 teams x 2G (starting), you need to kick the number of required starts down to 2/week.

2. As you said, this creates a situation where somebody could sit on a good goalie start, so you want to reintroduce the need for people to start their goalies:

Solution:
    i) Ditch SO. Introduce SV. Now you have TWO quantity stats (W/SV) and TWO performance stats (GAA/SV%).
    ii) Your expansion teams will have their own "expansion draft" where they should be allowed to select a full roster and a EXACTLY two goalies per team, no more, no less.

IF YOU GO 16 TEAMS, there should be NO #1 goalies left (just back-ups):
    iii) After your expansion teams have their keeper number on par with your typical teams, you have a ONE-ROUND-GOALIE-DRAFT. This puts a third goalie on every team. Determining a fair order for this round of draft will be tricky... but you are smart, you'll figure out something fair. (Though - it will probably be fairest to let the 4 expansion teams pick their 3rd goalies first).

IF YOU GO 14 TEAMS, there is still possibly a couple #1 goalies left (and that is value):
    iii) I would say your redraft should go with your 4 or 6 worst existing teams first (so that they can grab a 3rd goalie first, if they need to), then the 4 expansion teams, then the rest of the league... and snake back.

After all this, each team in your 14-or-16 team league will have 3 goalies. (16x3 = 48. There are 60 NHL goalies, 30 #1s, 30 back-ups. So there are still 12 back-ups available).
    I think that is a good re-start position for a league where you can roster 2 starting goalies. Minimum of 2 goalie starts per week. That's all.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; March 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM.