Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dynasty League with a Twist

Dobber Sports Giant

Default New Dynasty League with a Twist

The Comish wrote:
    Hi Chic,

I\'m not looking at doing the auction in my new dynasty league.

If we get enough owners, maybe a three tiered set up would work. The third tier could even be added after next season or later.
    Ah ok, no problem for the aunction! So if I understand this correctly, for the 3 tiers setup, you would basically need about 45 people? How many do you have so far? If that\'s the case, with 45 people picking from the same pool of players that would be the hardest league I\'ve ever been in!

Dobber Sports Stud

I was originally looking to join but backed out after i realized that the same player can be picked twice.

sorry Comish if you aren\'t interested in what i emailed you about but i wanted to throw it around on here as well, if you aren\'t interested let me know and i will edit this post to nothing but i think this idea might fly!?

My idea is to have 30, 27 or 24 teams, ideally 30, but to do that roster sizes would have to be 15 for each team, but set the yahoo max to 30 and allow the 10 non teams in each league fill up with the teams from other leagues to prevent those players from being available for pick up, you then allow the gms from other leagues to be co-gms on this dead team and when they want to drop or add a player they have to do it in both leagues so rosters stay updated.
    This woudl allow teams to all be on the same page and not have to worry about guys being picked twice.

If we were to go with 27 or 24 teams roster sizes can increase to 18 or 22.

This is just something i had proposed so it may not be what The Comish wants at all but it might be somethign to think about.

edit WOW, this was post number 100 for me!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Id be interested also - [email protected]
    Blue Line Club Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Duchene, Ovechkin, Kessel, Stewart. Letang, Karlsson, Rask
    Prospects - Hall, Fowler, Bernier, Huberdeau,

Power Play Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Toews, Parise, Semin, Letang, Kessel, Fowler, Niemi, Pavelec
    Prospects - Landeskog, Gerbe, Lindback, Burmistrov

Dobber Sports Ace

The same player CANNOT be picked twice. Any team that moves up or down in a league will take over a team, or there will be a minidraft between any new teams to divvy up the better players.

I would be okay for a 3 tiered thing if there were enough people, but are we talking creating a bunch of dummy teams just for the sake of it? I don\'t think it matters what the competitiveness level is between leagues, whether one league has 20 or another only has 10 teams. If money gets involved there would be less money with less entrants, if people shuffle leagues players don\'t carry over. I don\'t see a problem with there being a gap in talent level. It would be something to get used to as a first year player in either level, but I don\'t get why its a big issue.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anonymous,

I don\'t have the time nor inclination to try to set up a 3 ten team league concept. The idea of having 30 teams drafting from the same pool of NHL players is one I\'ve thought of for some time, but is not workable in Yahoo without a major time investment (which I do not have any to spare).

Right now we are looking at a 20 team and a 16-18 team feeder league. If we get enough interest, we can add a third tier. As of right now, we have 7 teams in the feeder league.

I am adamant (not Adam Ant!) that we use Yahoo as it makes my life as the commish much easier. You manage your rosters and pick ups/trades are managed by Yahoo.

Anonymous, congrats on your most evil number of posts! The number of the beast!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

How do you tell when you have lost the lottery or not? I hope I get in the 20 team league.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Guru

haha, wait for the commish to tell you!

man, was away from this thread for a few days and it blew up on me. good sign for the league lads!

commish, the 3-tier/10 team league out of the same pool would have been epic. but you\'re absolutely right... a management nightmare.

is there a limit that yahoo puts on the number of teams allowed in a league? as in, 20?

if not, i have a spreadsheet that i would like to show you. it runs a weekly h2h-points style league, and just relies on yahoo for team administration (roster set-up, adds/drops etc). something to think about.

Dobber Sports Stud

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    haha, wait for the commish to tell you!

man, was away from this thread for a few days and it blew up on me. good sign for the league lads!

commish, the 3-tier/10 team league out of the same pool would have been epic. but you\'re absolutely right... a management nightmare.

is there a limit that yahoo puts on the number of teams allowed in a league? as in, 20?

if not, i have a spreadsheet that i would like to show you. it runs a weekly h2h-points style league, and just relies on yahoo for team administration (roster set-up, adds/drops etc). something to think about.
    What part of the 3 league 10 team leagues (30 teams) becomes a nightmare? I am really starting to think it is feasible, if we all have 15 man rosters.

Dobber Sports Ninja

DieHard, I sent an email (twice) with the info on how we would cut the 22 names to 20 for the 20 team league. Each team was given two numbers. The bonus number in last Friday\'s Super 7 draw was 7. bleedblue was the unlucky guy. This Friday should give us another name. Here\'s yours and ultrawhite\'s numbers and hope they don\'t come up as the bonus number on Friday:

DieHardWingsFan 18,20
    ultrawhiteness 28,29

Chinny, the nightmare and time consuming part is with Yahoo. I absolutely love the idea of 3 ten team league using the same pool of players.

The problems start with pick ups. When you decide to pick up say Samsonov because he just had a four point night (and you\'ve had your eye on him for a week), what happens when another guy in one of the other ten team leagues does the same thing?

I would have to go in as commish, delete the second pick up of Samsonov, add the dropped player back to the guys roster. Then I would have to go into the other two ten team leagues and put Samsonov on the dummy rosters and bench him. This would have to be done for each ten team league and for every player picked up or dropped.

It would require far more time than I have to properly commish. A pool like this would be better if run offline.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Comish,
    the issue about 2 guys trying to pick up the same player i hope to be solved by allowing co-gms of the dummy teams to add and drop those players in every league.

My Proposal is
    3 leagues 10 teams in each (30 GMS)
    Yahoo roster set to 30, I think that is Yahoo\'s max.
    Have the 3 leagues set up with 20 teams
    If we set \"our\" internal roster size to 15 of the 30 yahoo is set as the other 10 Dummy teams can be filled with the other 300 players drafted in the other leagues.

So we now have 10 Dummy teams per league
    Dummy Team 1 from league A will have GMs 1 and 2 from league B, they will be co-gms on that team, that can be set up in yahoo, and this will be done for all the other GMs and dummy teams. So me as a GM in league A,along with another GM in league A, we will also be the co-gm on a dummy team in league B and a Dummy team in league C, if we drop and pick up someone in league A we then have to go to our dummy teams in league B and C and do the same thing, if 2 people attempt to do this at the same time it will go by the posting time of it in their main league, if that happens to be the same time then it goes to the lower ranked team at the time. Trades work the same way and can be done between leagues as well.

The only draw back of this idea is that it limits roster sizes to 15 guys, but we are also 450 guys deep in the depth chart of the NHL, of courses numbers change if we go with 27 or 24 teams

Dobber Sports Pro

That\'s interesting. Basically, rather than one add/drop, you would need to make two. the rules are clear regarding multiple adds of the same player.

It would make it easy to move your team from one league to another as well, as all your players would be sitting on a dummy team in the top league or the bottom league.

Since I haven\'t been involved in a keeper before, does Yahoo let you change the name of teams? I imagine the creation of the teams going up and down would not count as moves..

That would satisfy the only concern I had over the current format. I felt it would be quite difficult for the bottom teams to move up. Since all players can be kept, the team building for the future would make it incredibly difficult for a bottom 4 team to move into the top 16 each year. The bottom 4 players need to have that win this year at all costs attitude.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

Rad64 wrote:
    That\'s interesting. Basically, rather than one add/drop, you would need to make two. the rules are clear regarding multiple adds of the same player.

It would make it easy to move your team from one league to another as well, as all your players would be sitting on a dummy team in the top league or the bottom league.

Since I haven\'t been involved in a keeper before, does Yahoo let you change the name of teams? I imagine the creation of the teams going up and down would not count as moves..

That would satisfy the only concern I had over the current format. I felt it would be quite difficult for the bottom teams to move up. Since all players can be kept, the team building for the future would make it incredibly difficult for a bottom 4 team to move into the top 16 each year. The bottom 4 players need to have that win this year at all costs attitude.
    Rad, Please be aware my posts are only suggestion to make this a 30 team from one pool of players, and ideas on how to make it work, this is not what The Comish has said he will be doing up to now. The original post from The Comish is still the rules that are in line for this league. As for your post about bottom teams moving up and having the same guys as the other league and how hard it would be i agree, there is where i got lost in The Comish\'s league and began to dream up a way it \"MAY\" be possible to have 30 teams pulled from one pool of players and the issues that one come from that and how they can be worked around.

Dobber Sports Giant

I really like Chinny\'s idea on how we can setup a 3-tiers league. If everybody is active and do his job it can work. However, I totally understand that this can create a lot of work for the Comish and I would fully respect his decision and will still be in for the 20-10 setup.

As for the chance of having the same players, if I recall the rules properly, this will only happen during the playoff with the bottom 4 teams from the 20 league and the top 8 of the 10 league.

Dobber Sports Stud

Chicleteur wrote:
    I really like Chinny\'s idea on how we can setup a 3-tiers league. If everybody is active and do his job it can work. However, I totally understand that this can create a lot of work for the Comish and I would fully respect his decision and will still be in for the 20-10 setup.

As for the chance of having the same players, if I recall the rules properly, this will only happen during the playoff with the bottom 4 teams from the 20 league and the top 8 of the 10 league.
    The part of the having the same players picked in each league was that the lower league has no use in \"building\" a team it is always all or nothing, if you win the feeder league then you move up and I am assuming after following this that you just take over a bottom team in the above league and you let your old team go. My idea woudl allow you to build a team from nothing, sure it will take time but there is a chance at a huge reward, but after years of being in the bottom league you could work your way up to the top league based strickly on how your players develop and it would bring a real feel to the fantasy keeper idea.
    The one major flaw with my setup is that the rosters sizes can\'t exceed 15 players, unless we go to 27 or 24 teams. As for the playoffs i under stand why The Comish needs to have the 2 leagues have a similar number of teams in each league because if you have a team that picked from a pool with 19 other gm\'s compared to a team that only had 9 other gms to grab guys your overall depth would be much better than that of the bottom 20 team leagues.

Dobber Sports Pro

I was just commenting on Chinny\'s post. Regardless of the final outcome, I think the pool/s will be a lot of fun.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta