Thread: Canada\'s 2008 World Championship Roster

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Canada\'s 2008 World Championship Roster

I know the season isn’t over yet, but who is going to represent the host team at the upcoming World Championships? I’ll give it a go, let me know if I’ve left someone out or if you know that someone won’t accept an invite (whatever the reason). Here’s my short list:

Goaltending
    1-Roberto Luongo
    2-Pascal Leclaire (if healthy)
    3-Cam Ward

Mathieu Garon, Dwayne Roloson, Mike Smith

Defence
    4-5-Dan Boyle, Jay Bouwmeester
    6-7-Rob Blake (not sure he’ll play), Duncan Keith (Hawks MVP-voted by Alumni Assn)
    8-9-Ed Jovanovski, Bryan McCabe
    10-11-Barret Jackman (on team last year), Brent Seabrook

Kevin Bieksa, Cam Barker, Derek Morris, Steve Staios, Willie Mitchell, Eric Brewer (on team last year), Paul Ranger, Cory Murphy (on team last year), Bryan Allen

Centre
    12-Eric Staal
    13-Jonathan Toews (on team last year)
    14-Derek Roy
    15-Sam Gagner/Mike Comrie

Andy McDonald
    Stephen Weiss
    Mike Peca (Hitchcock is Head Coach)
    Brett McLean

Right Wing
    16-Shane Doan (was captain on last year’s team)
    17-Jason Pominville
    18-Nathan Horton (could move to centre?)
    19-Brad Boyes

Left Wing
    20-Rick Nash (MVP of last year’s tournament, but currently injured)
    21-Martin St.Louis
    22-Paul Kariya
    23-Mike Cammalleri (on team last year)

The following wingers could make the team:
    Ray Whitney
    Alex Burrows
    Jason Williams
    Jason Chimera (on team last year and Hitchcock coaching)
    Dustin Penner
    Daniel Carcillo (wouldn’t the IIHF love this guy!)

I believe the rosters are only 23 players. Much will depend on injuries and which players decline invitations.

Personally, I\'d love to see a line of Carcillo, Burrows and Chimera.

Edit: Delete D.Brown (USA) and update with Carolina out of playoffs.:angry:
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good post.

I really see Roberto Luongo turning it down. All this talk about his new daughter tells me he will spend the time with his family.

Was Vincent Lecavalier left off for a reason? I didn\'t think his injury is that bad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lecavalier is having surgery on his shoulder. He would have been a welcome edition to this year\'s squad.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Whoa... How did I miss that news? Is it the kind of surgery that will solve the problem completely?

Dobber Sports Pro

TSN reporting a full recovery in 12-15 weeks.

Athletes can generally return from a torn Labrum. It is generally other shoulder problems, like pitcher\'s and rotator cuffs, that cause long term problems.

Dobber Sports Ace

Neet post Comish- however Brown is from the US
    My keeper squad on this 10 team, no positional requirement league (except 1 goalie and 1 NHL team). Points only: Parise, Kopitar, Hemsky, Brunette, J Staal, Okposo, Doan, Roy, O.Jokinen, Giroux, Krejci, Oshie, Eberle, Little, Filpulla, Steen, Filatov, Hudler, H.Lundqvist, + NHL Team LA.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks Stephane, I knew I was going to mess up somewhere - I did this too quickly and didn\'t check all my facts!

I have also just edited it now that we know Carolina isn\'t making it to the dance.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Novice

I think McCabe just had another baby. Don\'t think he\'ll go. Kariya and Blake most likely won\'t go.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So who do you think will go in their places? Man I love international hockey!

McCabe\'s probably better off to avoid the WC anyway, too many Leaf fans out east, he\'ll just get booed!!

My money would be on Bieksa and Ranger if McCabe/Blake decline and Ray Whitney for Kariya.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sam Gagner is going to draw into the squad for the quarter final game, with Eric Staal returning home for some family business.

Is this his first service with the senior team?

If so, it\'ll be exciting to see how he\'ll do.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes it is Gagner\'s first duty with the seniors. I was a little surprised that he was named to the team, but I was very happy for him.

I was lucky enough to meet the kid at the World Juniors in Leksand, Sweden before he got drafted by my Oilers! Got to chat after the game with his Mom. She is such a nice person and she told Sam to go stand with my two boys for a photo - which he did without question. He seems like such a great person and I really hope he has a long and successful career.