Thread: Grikorenko and Schultz for Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Grikorenko and Schultz for Tarasenko

A guy in one of my leagues (same stats as leagues in sig, but its a 10 team league, weekly starts) has a major hard on for Tarasenko and has been sending me offers since the season started. The latest one is Grigorenko and Justin Schultz for VT.

My initial reaction was a no...but its still on the table.

We start 8F, 4D, 2G weekly (10 team Dynasty, full keeper)

My team looks like this:

F - E Staal, E Kane, Toews, Duchene, Stamkos, Seguin, J Staal, Zajac, Ryan, Lucic, D Brown, Oshie

D - Keith, Seabrook, Fowler, Voynov, Hamonic, Bogosian [IR], B Smith

G - Price, Rask, Dubnyk

Farm - Tarasenko, Atkinson, Silfverberg, Tatar, Faksa, Trouba, Rielly, Elliott, Markstrom

As you can see my F's are pretty solid while IMO my D could use some improvement. I am not really in any rush to move Tarasenko but the guy keeps upping his offers - he also has Conacher who I think I would prefer over Grigs.

I was thinking of countering with VT, Atkinson and J Staal for Eriksson, Conacher and Schultz.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by PrairieDog; February 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Veteran

In the long term sense, I kind of do like the deal but VT likely has a higher ceiling than Grigs. See if you can maybe get someone who's slightly better than Griggy, then it might be hard to refuse.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

if you can keep both schultz and grigs, imo take the deal and run, grigs looks to be starting to get going an assist last night and goal against the leafs.

i also dont think tarasenko has a higher upside, i think they have the same upside, and tarasenko is just much closer to realizing it. BUT a key factor with tarasenko vs all these current young rooks, gally, grigs, yakupov, that i think is greatly overlooked is development time...

tarasenko spent like 4 years playing KHL, i believe hes 21 now and began playing in the league at age 17. now that means he is used to playing against men + has been playing longer because he is older by 3 years. in 3 years from now if all goes right, grigs can be mentioned in the same breath as tarasenko without someone being shocked and schultz will probably be potting 50-70 a year with the young oil squad. judging by your stacked offense and tarasenko not even playing yet for you, then you will not miss him much and in 2-3 years you will get a big boost to your forward core + defense.

many on here do believe grigs has just as high upside as yakupov or gally, however upside is one thing, the chance of reaching that upside or how quick a player can realize that upside is much different. and thats where tarasenko and the others edge grigs. we have just seen more sound proof that they will be studs and their game translates.

i think grigs has higher upside then conacher too, and so does VT + schultz(when comparing dman to forward not actual output). No doubt tho if you want a lower ceiling but results now kind of guy, conacher and schultz would be my counter. but if the future is the focus i think you go grigs. i dont think he will give you conacher and schultz tho, cory is almost off to as a spectacular of a start as VT so their trade values are both really high, i dont think he gives you schultz to narrow that. Although when guys have man crushes on a certain player i have seen them overpay..

an example?

dynasty league.. multi cat, some guy loved JVR, he offered last season to my buddy, who took it...

kovalchuk + zajac for ott + JVR

lol and that was at the beginning of the season long before any trades to toronto for JVR.
    Last edited by Kwazzie; February 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would do the deal mainly for Schultz. He's going to be the next big fantasy stud dman.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for the responses! Anyone else care to weigh in on this? I am having a lot of trouble deciding.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

I would keep Tarasenko. I know Scultz is going to be great and is putting up great numbers, but right now Grigorenko is yet unproven in the NHL. Tarasenko has shown that he can flourish, and he's got a lot of nerve - a lot of times he's reminded me of a young, less physical Ovechkin.

Sure Grigorenko can develop like Tarasenko, but forward prospects are a dime a dozen in the league, and Tarasenko is more than a prospect at this point.

I actually think you're pretty set at D for a while (you've also got Reily on the farm), and your O looks fantastic, so you don't need Tarasenko but he could be the factor that pushes your team over the edge to a championship. If you're still keen on selling Tarasenko, I'd go for Scultz and a more sure-bet type of player. What does the rest of his team look like?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Initiate

Starting 6 F and 4 D I would go with Schultz, he is going to be a top D for a long time. Grigs is going to be the topline C for buf in a few years. Just the fact that they decided to keep him in the big league this year proves that sabres have a lot of faith in him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not even sure how to rate this... it really could go either way. It just depends on what you think Griggy's ceiling is. If you think it's very likely to happen and 80 points, slam dunk it and hit accept. If you think it's maybe 70 pts though and hit or miss, it'd be too risky to take.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne