Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [re-signing] Jamie Benn!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
    You do realize the difference between the 2, dont you? Bridge contract vs UFA contract.
    Bringing that argument up again, eh?

In the end both players signed similar $$$ deals, I'd prefer Benn over Lupul (injured again). In a salary cap league, it's the salary amount that matters. Just because UFA, signing a bad deal is a bad deal.
    Semi-retired

Banned

@StarsInsideEdge: Jamie Benn on his way to Dallas. Won't play Saturday, immigration issues to be resolved. Expected to play first game Monday in Columbus.
    LeBrun reports: $4.5, $5.0; $5.25; $5.75; $5.75
    my guess to start:

eriksson - roy - jagr
    whitney - benn - ryder

Dobber Sports Veteran

Finally... If this had caused my team to lose this week, I'd have hunted down and killed the involved parties myself. Well, killed with a nasty glare...
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

No way he deserves Lupul money...

The Great One

The big winner here is Ray Whitney.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    No way he deserves Lupul money...
    Lolololol

But seriously....finallllllllllllly

Dobber Sports Ninja

****....Yes.......

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Jamie Benn seals the deal

5yrs at 5.25 per year or 26.25. Finally, I traded Hossa for this kid so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl...-contract.html

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Bringing that argument up again, eh?

In the end both players signed similar $$$ deals, I'd prefer Benn over Lupul (injured again). In a salary cap league, it's the salary amount that matters. Just because UFA, signing a bad deal is a bad deal.
    Absolutely false. Deal in reality please, not in some perfect make believe world.

Take the Leaf hate somewhere else, because if you think Lupul signed a bad deal, then thats all it is. Is it a steal? Absolutely not, but it is market value.

Dobber Sports Ace

Absolutely false. Deal in reality please, not in some perfect make believe world.

Take the Leaf hate somewhere else, because if you think Lupul signed a bad deal, then thats all it is. Is it a steal? Absolutely not, but it is market value.
    what is this make believe world you talk about? i guess you might know being a fan of the Toronto Make-Believes?

Was i wrong with the numbers? he's had one season averaging more than a point per game (67 in 66 games)

Benn, Neal, Kane, Lucic all have similar cap hits.

Heck could even pay a goalie for that money.

p.s. i'm a Senators fan, and I knew Kovalev, Gonchar deals were a waste. so i'm not in denial over crappy signings.

P.s.s. wow, thanks for the negative rep, first ive ever gotten here ... You hand that out like a Leafs GM handing big $$ contracts to mediocre players
    Last edited by cdubb; January 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Veteran

Why is Lupul being brought up in this?

If I'm not mistaken, Benn was injured last year too. It happens.

I'm just glad he signed. I really would like to see him back with Eriksson.

And yes, I am starting him.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Stud

You do realize the difference between the 2, dont you? Bridge contract vs UFA contract.
    Don't go bringing logic into this conversation when there's a good tar and feathering going on. Common Choot Em!!

Do people really not understand how this works? Benn was not a UFA!

Lupul signed for what the Leafs believed to be fair market value for a UFA of his calibre. Benn was not on the open market. If he was he'd have received considerably more. The whole reason this deal took so long was term length. Word is the Stars wanted a 6 year deal and Benn was looking for something closer to 4, so that (!!shocker!!!) he would hit the open market sooner and land his big payday.....as a UFA. The two sides seem to have met in the middle and settled on 5 years. Good deal for both sides and has absolutely nothing to do with what Lupul signed for. Clear as mud?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Don't go bringing logic into this conversation when there's a good tar and feathering going on. Common Choot Em!!

Do people really not understand how this works? Benn was not a UFA!

Lupul signed for what the Leafs believed to be fair market value for a UFA of his calibre. Benn was not on the open market. If he was he'd have received considerably more.
    Yes everyone understands the UFA and RFA thing. That does not mean Lupul's deal was good because he was a POTENTIAL UFA (Benn actually was a RFA).. The last time he played more than 70 games was 4 seasons ago. His present deal was $4.25M per year, getting 48 goals and 112 pts so far over 3 seasons ($12.75 M). That's basically $100,000 per point. So you lock him up for 5 years at $5.25M expecting him to be healthy??? Who was going to offer him $6M per year - Columbus? Not too many teams lining up to outbid the Leafs unless they are desperate.

If Lupul is worth 5.25M what will Kessel get next, 8-9M?

In a league where Hart Trophy/Art Ross winners get 8-10M I'd rather pay them, than second (arguable) line talent. I guess it's a problem when the team can't sign any good free agents (Connolly, Komisarek, MacArthur)
    Last edited by cdubb; January 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Initiate

what is this make believe world you talk about? i guess you might know being a fan of the Toronto Make-Believes?

Was i wrong with the numbers? he's had one season averaging more than a point per game (67 in 66 games)

Benn, Neal, Kane, Lucic all have similar cap hits.

Heck could even pay a goalie for that money.

p.s. i'm a Senators fan, and I knew Kovalev, Gonchar deals were a waste. so i'm not in denial over crappy signings.

P.s.s. wow, thanks for the negative rep, first ive ever gotten here ... You hand that out like a Leafs GM handing big $$ contracts to mediocre players
    a) I didnt give negative rep, but you seem to have to me so thanks for that.

b) Benn, Neal, Lucic and Kane were all coming off the entry level deal as RFA's. See the difference??? And of that group only Kane had approached point per game status prior to the contract. Kane's is also $6.3 which is 20 % higher without providing 20% more production.

If you are going to use compareables, please make sure you are using one's that fall under the same set of variables.

Better comparables are:

Pomminville - 5.3
    Ribiero - 5.0
    Gionta - 5.0
    Cammalleri - 6.0
    Horcoff - 5.5
    Briere - 6.5
    Elias - 6.0
    Sharp - 5.9
    Plekanec - 5.0
    Havlat - 5.0

Do you see the difference? Players heading towards or already a free agent.There maybe 1 guy in there that I would trade for Lupul striaght up without having too much of an issue.

Like I said, rationally, Lupul's contract is neither an overpayment, nor is it an under payment. It is right in line with Market value.
    Last edited by sd1976; January 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes everyone understands the UFA and RFA thing. That does not mean Lupuls deal was good because he was a potential UFA. The last time he played more than 70 games was 4 seasons ago. His present deal was $4.25M per year, getting 48 goals and 112 pts so far over 3 seasons ($12.75 M). That's basically $100,000 per point. So you lock him up for 5 years at $5.25M expecting him to be healthy??? Who was going to offer him $6M per year - Columbus? Not too many teams lining up to outbid the Leafs unless they are desperate.

If Lupul is worth 5.25M what will Kessel get next, 8-9M?

In a league where Hart Trophy/Art Ross winners get 8-10M I'd rather pay them, than second (arguable) line talent.
    OK, you're on to a completely different argument here then. I was not arguing for or against Lupul's contract....you apparently feel strongly about it.

I'm certainly not a big advocate of the Lupul contract but I've also watched him play enough to know that he's a far better player than many give him credit for and the player we saw last year certainly deserved the money he just got.

Your three year, point based argument holds no water if you understand Lupul's horrible luck with health issues during that span. Anyone who's pessimistic on his abillity to stay healthy certainly has justification for that but anyone who's watched him play at his best (eg fully healthy) would have a hard time arguing that he doesn't look like a 5.25 mil player. The question boils down to an issue of health....the Leafs went all in on the optimism and I'd like to get behind that decision because Lupul is a very good player but I remain slighly more cautious.