Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: if you were a keeper league commish....

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re:if you were a keeper league commish....

It\'s as much the predicament I\'m in as the value of the keeper spots themselves. Even if this deal goes through I\'ll have 12 forwards ranked in dobbers top 50 with nagy being my 13th forward and ranked #70. I have 3 goalies with 2 in the top 10 and Biron. and 3 top notch d-men pitkanen, bouwmeester and rafalski. I also have zhitnik, beauchemin and o\'sullivan who i have no use for at all.

blindedbyfear

Sounds like me. I\'m running around this summer with 14 keeper spots total and I\'m dealing guys like Demitra and Nagy like they\'re spare change to move 3 spots in the first round. Because to someone else it\'s the difference between keeping Jere Lehtinen and Ladislav Nagy, and Nagy\'s probably got better upside.

Me, I\'m trying to move up a few spots to nab Backstrom or Toews because that\'s all I\'m really interested in.

I can\'t even trade top forwards because the only way I\'d do it would be if I could, say, trade Havlat and Tanguay for Crosby, because I\'ve got Thornton, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and a bunch more (Vanek, Radulov). But they guy with Crosby would want more than that.

I like that being able to trade keeper spots thing. I have a question, though. If you have, say, 10 keeper spots, and you trade for 1, that\'s just for going into next year, right? Meaning at the beginning of every season each team has the same # of keeper spots for the following year. Is that correct?

Dobber Sports Padawan

yes that\'s right, the keeper spot is for 1 year, every year we get to keep 10 players off our roster of 25. I must say thought your situation seems to be much better than mine. My best players are Spezza, Kovalchuk, Raduloc, Marleau and Richards. I have most of my forwards in the 25 - 50 range.

blindedbyfear

Are you in a position where you can trade a Marleau and Richards for, say, a Thornton? Or does the person with Thornton not need that many more players? You know what I\'m saying, maximize value at each position. I\'d probably be offering 2 for 1, 4 for 2 type of deals for top 10 guys by now if I were you. That is, if they\'re even feasible depending on the other teams.

Dobber Sports Padawan

thornton\'s owner has made it quite clear that he\'s not available. I\'m making a pitch for malkin, but first i\'m trying to get a top notch goalie for the deal, maybe not top notch but very good, he needs a top 10 goalie to compete. And i\'ll package that at first with gomez and nylander and then if i have to i\'ll try marleau or richards. with the goalie and one of the aforementioned 2.

blindedbyfear

I\'d probably ask for the goaltender, gomez, and one of marleau or richards (or maybe goaltender, marleau, and richards). If it\'s not Luongo, you could do that and be happy I think. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Padawan

it\'s not luongo or brodeur. if i got malkin i\'d be very happy as long as i only need to give up one of marleau or richards. the goalie i\'m getting doesnt matter to me. He\'s better than one of my goalies but i can live with that. Thanks for the advice.