Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jays close to acquiring R.A. Dickey

Dobber Sports Padawan

I feel there is far too much negativity for a move that cements the jays in a world series or bust mode for the next three years. If it doesn't work out, the jays have the next three years to restock their farm system. But we still have Gose, Sierra and Sanchez as some pretty nice prospects.

Was this a steep price to pay? Absolutely. But any trade that sees a player of such value being moved will cost something. Cone cost the jays jeff kent, Ricky Henderson cost the jays their top two prospects. It's never a good time to go all in but if the jays continue to hold on to prospects and wait for them to all arrive, bautista and other significant pieces will be long gone.

Starting 5 (no particular order):

Johnson
    Buerhle
    Morrow
    Romero
    Dickey

Happ, hutchinson, drabek, mcgowan

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Mixed Feelings

Although I love the addition of Dickey as I think it makes us the best overall team in baseball (Starting 6-7, Bullpen, Lineup, Bench) and W.S favorites just ahead of Detroit and LAA. I still think the price was too high in regards to the prospects we are giving up in the deal. Everyone knows that d'Arnaud is the best catching prospect in all of baseball and considering the FA's that are still available and the value of a great all round catcher, I would have rather overpayed for a Jackson or a Marcum to solidifie the staff then trade him alone. But adding Syndergaard to the deal is over kill imo. I have had the opertunity to watch him pitch on 2 occassion and the other 2 big 3 as well and let me tell you if this kid hit's his potential (which is a big if) he has limitless potential. His fastball is electric, and his curve when on is nearly unhittable. Basically I think we win the world seris with either of the 3 pitchers I listed so I would have rather picked up what I consider slighty lesser pitchers and kept the prospects but am still happy going to the parade next november.

P.S I'm assuming that Jackson or Marcum would sign here but I figure if we overpay a couple mil with mutual options it would have got it done.

A.A= Master Yoda
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This is more of a question than an argument by why is wins being thrown around as the most important stat? I'd assume that's more of a team stat than an individual as it's probably the least controllable by a pitcher would it not be? I mean you can pitch 8 innings of shutout ball and have a reliever blow the win for you in the 9th. Or 9 innings of 1 run ball and lose the game 1-0?

Dickey has now played the last 3 years on a sub .500 team, two years of which his team was in the bottom 5 for runs scored. I'd say the W column doesn't rest solely on his shoulders.

Okay so maybe that is more of an argument than a question but I'm not the hugest baseball fan and that's just sort of what I've always assumed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Although I love the addition of Dickey as I think it makes us the best overall team in baseball (Starting 6-7, Bullpen, Lineup, Bench) and W.S favorites just ahead of Detroit and LAA.
    Whoa, how about we'll see how they play first before we start going a bit overboard? Jays fans should be happy generally at the potential growth in the short-term and opportunity for a playoff berth. But to start taking World Series is a bit much.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Whoa, how about we'll see how they play first before we start going a bit overboard? Jays fans should be happy generally at the potential growth in the short-term and opportunity for a playoff berth. But to start taking World Series is a bit much.
    World Series is the whole point. Why mortgage the future if you don't think you can win the whole thing? Short answer....you don't!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    World Series is the whole point. Why mortgage the future if you don't think you can win the whole thing? Short answer....you don't!
    One top 10 (arguably) prospect is not exactly mortgaging the future. The Jays are in a win-now mode and this trade makes them better. If you want the Jays to win now, I can't see how you wouldn't like this trade.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    One top 10 (arguably) prospect is not exactly mortgaging the future. The Jays are in a win-now mode and this trade makes them better. If you want the Jays to win now, I can't see how you wouldn't like this trade.

They just traded away their #1 rated prospect (D'Arnaud) and their #3 rated prospect (Syndergaard). That isn't one top 10 prospect, that would be two of them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    They just traded away their #1 rated prospect (D'Arnaud) and their #3 rated prospect (Syndergaard). That isn't one top 10 prospect, that would be two of them.
    I meant one top 10 MLB prospect, not Jays only. Syndergaard is definitely not top 10. Again, improving your chances now justifies this trade IMO.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly! This is all on top of the prospects they gave up in the deal with the Marlins.....so, yes, they have mortgaged the future and I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing. There's really no denying this as AA said so himself last night in an interview on Prime Time Sports. His decision was based on the fact that many Jays players (eg. Reyes, Bautista and EE) are in the prime of their careers and are under contract for the next few years so why wait on prospects when you have a chance to go for it now. His logic for the trade was very sound and he's sold me on it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I meant one top 10 MLB prospect, not Jays only. Syndergaard is definitely not top 10. Again, improving your chances now justifies this trade IMO.
    I wasn't suggesting the trade wasn't justified. You've read something into my post that I didn't say. Maybe the term 'mortgaged the future' was construed as negative? I don't see it that way at all, it's just a fact not a judgement call.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I'm not questioning the team going for it - rather I was commenting on the quote above saying that the Jays are now World Series favourites. Are they better on paper? Sure, but until they play we have no idea if they are a legitimate contender for the playoffs (for which everyone has a shot at winning it all) or not.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I'm not questioning the team going for it - rather I was commenting on the quote above saying that the Jays are now World Series favourites. Are they better on paper? Sure, but until they play we have no idea if they are a legitimate contender for the playoffs (for which everyone has a shot at winning it all) or not.
    I agree that 'favourites' might be a bit optimistic but 'contenders' is a comment that just became very real! Predicting a World Series champ before the season is almost always a useless exercise given how many stars must align for it to happen BUT if the Jays starting rotation remains relatively healthy (big 'IF') and if EE, Bautista and Reyes do what we've seen them do in the past and there is even marginal improvement from some of the supporting cast (eg Lawrie, Rasmus, JPA) then it's certainly not out of the question to add them to the list of potential favourites.

Dobber Sports Immortal

All I have to say is I am pumped for Opening Day!!

I wonder what the starting rotation will be? You'd have to think they'll go with power-knuckle-power right Just to screw things up for the other team in a series.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    All I have to say is I am pumped for Opening Day!!

I wonder what the starting rotation will be? You'd have to think they'll go with power-knuckle-power right Just to screw things up for the other team in a series.
    You have to believe the 2012 NL Cy Young winner starts opening day.

Dickey, JJ, Buerhle, Morrow, Romero(if he isnt in buffalo)

Dobber Sports Padawan

According to bodog.ca, the Jays are in fact the favorites to win the world series.

As for the opening day starter, I'm putting Morrow out there.