Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

If you really liked Shaun of the Dead you should take a look at the other stuff with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, directed by Edgar Wright. Hot Fuzz (movie) and Spaced (series) and the upcoming The World's End (trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo7eJR2cvc ). Really brilliant stuff for the most part!
    yup, i've checked most of that out...Hot Fuzz was good, just not AS good as Shaun of the Dead, i loved the cast Nick Frost, Bill Nighy, they did a great job with it. I'm watching Spaced now and it's pretty good too, haven't heard about The World's End though.

An interesting series I started watching recently is Black Mirror...it's sort of in the same vein as The Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits, they have these 1 hour self-contained episodes with bizarre premises, so far a lot of fun

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My last 5:

Argo 4.5/5: Just finished this last night. I would've given it full marks but they obviously made for several "tight calls" to spice up the tension in the movie. I would've been OK without so many tight calls. (I'm assuming there wasn't cops flying down the runway right next to the plane... c'mon.). Overall, incredibly solid movie with great characters.

Upstream Color: 4/5. Netflix Instant. Very solid movie by the guy who did Primer (back in 2004). We were just talking about Primer on this thread a few pages back. Upstream Color is excellent if you like movies that are a bit more indie/weird. The movie comes together at the end and you can feel a little lost in the middle. Overall... really, really liked it.

Silver Linings Playbook 5/5: I laughed, I cried. I fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence. Oh, the goody goodness of this movie. And DeNiro as a Jets fan. LOL. Fantastic. Just loved it.

Brave 4/5: We got this for my 3-year old but parts of it were a bit too dark for her, she got scared. I love modern day cartoons - they are so good.

Ted 3.5/5: I think... 10 years ago... when I was single and I would fart in front of my friends, I would've given this a 4.5. I'm so old and fatherly now. I did roll laughing during the poop-on-the-floor scene of Truth-or-Dare... that was funny. Seth McFarlane is comedy gold and I love Mila Kunis and MarkyMark. I probably would've liked it more as a 1hr movie.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I watch a ton of movies, so I am a tough critic.

42 - Great acting by Harrison Ford and newcomer Chadwick Boseman. Very well done for a standard, feel good true story. 4/5

Aftershock - Not great for actor/director Eli Roth. A disaster/horror movie which had some potential, but ultimately was a big disappointment. Pretty boring and uneventful. 1.5/5

Trance - Extremely unique concept - the style and cinematography was awesome by Danny Boyle. It featured an amazing scene with Rosario Dawson and James McAvoy - just google it. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. 3.5/5

Evil Dead - A lot better than the original in my opinion. Very dark and gore-filled, but still had a very slight B-movie type of feel. I wasn't a huge fan of the Shiloh Fernandez, who played the lead male role, but everyone else was great. Overall, I thought it was very well done for a remake. 4/5

Spring Breakers - James Franco was great in this movie, but everyone else was slightly disappointing. Gomez was her typical good girl more-or-less and Hudgens was her usual slutty self. The movie had style, but I thought it could have been a lot better. It had some great scenes, but was ultimately a slight let down as I was quite high on this movie. 3.5/5
    24 GM – 3 Tier Salary Cap Roto Dynasty League + Roto Playoffs (Keep 32 of 35)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, HITS, BS, W, GAA, SV | 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G

C - Crosby, W.Nylander, Kempe, B.Howden, Wallmark, Z.Sanford, Newhook
    LW - Ovechkin, Vrana, S.Bennett, Lehkonen, Aston-Reese, T.Benson, S.Poulin
    RW - JT.Miller, Coleman, Gourde, Dzingel, Tippett, Volkov
    D - Klingberg, Chabot, Slavin, Matheson, Chychrun, Sanheim, D.Toews, E.Bouchard, Cholowski
    G - J.Gibson, DeSmith, Sparks, Luukkonen, Starrett

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My last 5:

Argo 4.5/5: Just finished this last night. I would've given it full marks but they obviously made for several "tight calls" to spice up the tension in the movie. I would've been OK without so many tight calls. (I'm assuming there wasn't cops flying down the runway right next to the plane... c'mon.). Overall, incredibly solid movie with great characters.

Upstream Color: 4/5. Netflix Instant. Very solid movie by the guy who did Primer (back in 2004). We were just talking about Primer on this thread a few pages back. Upstream Color is excellent if you like movies that are a bit more indie/weird. The movie comes together at the end and you can feel a little lost in the middle. Overall... really, really liked it.

Silver Linings Playbook 5/5: I laughed, I cried. I fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence. Oh, the goody goodness of this movie. And DeNiro as a Jets fan. LOL. Fantastic. Just loved it.

Brave 4/5: We got this for my 3-year old but parts of it were a bit too dark for her, she got scared. I love modern day cartoons - they are so good.

Ted 3.5/5: I think... 10 years ago... when I was single and I would fart in front of my friends, I would've given this a 4.5. I'm so old and fatherly now. I did roll laughing during the poop-on-the-floor scene of Truth-or-Dare... that was funny. Seth McFarlane is comedy gold and I love Mila Kunis and MarkyMark. I probably would've liked it more as a 1hr movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilc View Post
    I watch a ton of movies, so I am a tough critic.

42 - Great acting by Harrison Ford and newcomer Chadwick Boseman. Very well done for a standard, feel good true story. 4/5

Aftershock - Not great for actor/director Eli Roth. A disaster/horror movie which had some potential, but ultimately was a big disappointment. Pretty boring and uneventful. 1.5/5

Trance - Extremely unique concept - the style and cinematography was awesome by Danny Boyle. It featured an amazing scene with Rosario Dawson and James McAvoy - just google it. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. 3.5/5

Evil Dead - A lot better than the original in my opinion. Very dark and gore-filled, but still had a very slight B-movie type of feel. I wasn't a huge fan of the Shiloh Fernandez, who played the lead male role, but everyone else was great. Overall, I thought it was very well done for a remake. 4/5

Spring Breakers - James Franco was great in this movie, but everyone else was slightly disappointing. Gomez was her typical good girl more-or-less and Hudgens was her usual slutty self. The movie had style, but I thought it could have been a lot better. It had some great scenes, but was ultimately a slight let down as I was quite high on this movie. 3.5/5
    Good choices boys. Trying to get the rep around, but i'm out at the moment. Jen Lawrence in the white yoga pants was a good show!!

Keep the movies coming. Old or new. Good or Bad. PG or XXX ha!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Genius

Just because I wanted to. This one's on my computer, I think it's time for a looksee....

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yay for bum shakin!!!
    My fave parts of that movie is whenever she shows up next to him on the jog!
    What a beautiful, beautiful nut-job!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Yay for bum shakin!!!
    My fave parts of that movie is whenever she shows up next to him on the jog!
    What a beautiful, beautiful nut-job!
    HA! Those black lulus sealed the deal for me.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The last year or so I've been doing shitty movie night with a few friends. We've gone through stuff like The Room, Birdemic, Troll 2, Hard Ticket to Hawaii, Jersey Shore Shark Attack and others. That brings me to the question of this post:

Has anyone here watched Sharknado yet? Are you planning to? I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get all the people together for another shitty movie night, but it seems sooooooooooooo awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q

There is another, shorter trailer for it where they basically say "Sharks... tornado... sharknado... nuff said." with that cliche trailer voice.

That's Ian Ziering of Beverly Hills 90210 fame, Kevil McCallister from Home Alone's dad, Tara "bad boob job" Reid and several tons of flying sharks. How can it NOT be great?
    GO WINGS!

Banned

got a couple more stinkers to add to the list, we went on a bit of a fairy tale/classics kick

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters -4/10 - at first I thought it was going to the be a 'it's so bad it's good movie'...a machine gun crossbow (how is that even remotely possible?) a musket that behave oddly like a shotgun right down to the 'schick schick' reload sound, it had promise but then it just sorta fell apart and I lost all interest, couldn't even tell you how it ended because i completely lost interest

Three Musketeers - 5/10 - basically the same movie, just done a little bit better, the liberties they took with the script were nothing short of astounding, Dumas is no doubt rolling in his grave. That said, if you're looking for mindless action that doesn't require any real investment they do have some wonderfully choreographed sword play that might keep you entertained for awhile

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Primer - Loved it but will have to watch it a few more times to try and understand most of it. Time travel movies are fun.
    Fantastic movie - same boat for me. I've watched it three times and I change my mind on exactly what's happening every time. Love that, though.

Looper - cool concept. Goes well with the time travel theme. Really liked this one. Made ya think a bit and good action. Had a hell of a time warming up to the Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Bruce Willis meld at the beginning.

Silver Linings Playbook - must freakin' watch. Just a really damn good movie.

Couple of movies that surprised me:

Killing Season - De Niro VS Travolta in a "Deer Hunter-esque" type movie. Better than I expected.

Pacific Rim - WOW. I hate to admit it but this movie blew me away. It's a spectacular 3D experience and it makes a simple story exciting and "real". Highly recommend seeing this one in theaters as it's the best 3D I have yet to see. Some great comedic relief and the female hero is HAAAAT.

If you like documentaries:

Last Train Home - Slow, but haunting as **** and makes you appreciate what we've got . . . a lot.

Also, this is aimed at Dakkster - there is a documentary called "Best Worst Movie" and it features on the actors (who is also a dentist) as he "pitches" his movie and its title of "worst movie ever". Pretty hilarious, the guy is a nut.

I say this every time a movie/tv show thread opens up, but if you haven't seen it PLEASE watch Deadwood. To me, this series was perfection.
    Last edited by ridinryan44; July 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Expert

Star Trek Into Darkness - 4.5/5 - Thought this was great. Love the new series.
    Sharknado -5/5 - Its a tornado of sharks and bad editing. Nothing better.
    Warm Bodies - 4/5 - Decent movie. Not as funny as I thought it would be. Had its moments.
    Argo - 5/5 fantastic. deserves the hype surrounding it.
    The Master - 3.5/5 Not sure I can rate this yet as I got kinda antsy and turned it off. can't hate a movie where a guy makes a sand vagina and goes down on it.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

The Wolverine

Ted 1/5 - It's a shame as I was looking forward to watching it, but I thought it was horrible. I didn't find it funny at all.

World War Z 2.5/5 - Meh. Nothing to do with the book, which I'm glad because it was a solid read. Just a typical apocalyptic zombie fest - thought it would be more original but unfortunately not.

Remember the Titans 5/5 - Still a classic. Finally got the DVD on region 2 (Europe). It's my second favourite sports film behind Rudy.

Scanners 5/5 - One of my favourite horror films, which I never tire of watching. It's earned its way as my avatar.

Baader Meinhof Complex 3.5/5 - Solid watch on a subject I knew very little about. It dragged at times but the story built well enough to keep my interest.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post

Pacific Rim - WOW. I hate to admit it but this movie blew me away. It's a spectacular 3D experience and it makes a simple story exciting and "real". Highly recommend seeing this one in theaters as it's the best 3D I have yet to see. Some great comedic relief and the female hero is HAAAAT.

Agreed. This movie really surprised me. I thought it would be a cheap rip off of Transformers but it was more then that. Idris Elba kills it in every role he has and he carried every scene he appeared in here. Charlie Day from Always Sunny was great for comedic relief and actually showed some good acting chops, and the 2 Teller's from Sons of Anarchy did pretty well too. And yes the Asian female lead was a fine lookin' woman.
    Don't wanna spoil anything but I liked the method they told the story, you learn the history in the first 5-10 minutes then your launched right into the middle of the war. Kept me interested the whole way through.
    I'd give it a 4/5. Really hard for any sci-fi action movie to earn a 5 in my books. Not since Aliens.

World War Z - Like many others I was kinda disappointed. I enjoyed the movie while watching no doubt, but too many scenes left me wanting more. I know it didnt help that I read the book prior to seeing the movie, as that just set my expectations higher and led to greater disappointment after realizing they basically just took the name of a popular zombie book to garner attention, then made there own entirely different zombie movie.
    3/5 - still a good summer action flick, but considering it's budget, cast and source material they had to work with, it came up short.

G.I Joe Retaliation - I'm surprised I bothered to see this, but much like Pacific Rim it kinda surprised me. I wont rate it as high as Pacific Rim as I have no desire to re-watch this movie like I do the other, but it kept me entertained. And it does beat Pacific Rim in 1 category, the female lead in this movie is smokin. And I've always liked The Rock.
    Was also nice to see an old favorite of mine from HBO's Rome, Ray Stephenson back in a movie, he plays bad guys well.
    3/5 - I expected a 2, it delivered a little more so I gave it a 3. With World War Z I expected at least a 4 and it disappointed so also gets a 3.

I'd list some more brief reviews as I've been watching a lot of movies lately, more new ones then I normally see....but my foods burning.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ninja

XBMC finally had a DVD quality copy of Oblivion so my wife and I watched it. I had heard so many bad things about the movie but I loved it. It's not going to be a classic, but in terms of sheer movie enjoyment, it was one of the better ones recently, and way better than so much of the stuff that people claim is good (in my opinion that is!)

Banned

Yay, finally some good movies for me!

Silver Lining Playbook - 9/10 - Just a really well written story, great acting, great emotion. It's a really good couple movie so if you're looking for something to watch with your significant other that won't make you want to tear your eyes out this one is it

Sharknado - (actual score 1/10, enjoyment score 8/10) - It is terrible beyond all belief. Never mind the absurd premise, never mind the terrible acting and special effects. There are whole scenes you'll watch that are spliced together where one scene it is pouring rain and then it switches to the other character it is suddenly sunny, it's ridiculous. But get some friends together with a lot of beers and damned if it isn't a rollicking good time to rip on it