Page 7 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

The Great One

the internship is good....i love vince vaughn though.

If you liked wedding crashers, it's basically the same characters (vaughn and wilson)

Banned

good topic... haven't seen this one before!

I wish I had had better luck but damn movies suck these days

Skyfall (7/10) - great action scenes, stunts, special effects, explosions etc but some really weak writing and too much 'computers doing things computers don't do' for my taste

Admission (4/10) - it's clear that they thought they could just throw Tina Fey and Paul Rudd into a romantic comedy type of thing and it would save a bad movie...it did notbut

Dark Shadows (5.5/10) - gee it's Johnny Depp being Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton movie! Wow, how original, we've only seen this character a dozen times in the last 5-6 years! Oh and guess who else is in it? You guessed it, Helena Bonham Carter playing the same crazy character she always does! Despite all this it was mildly entertaining for the first 3/4 of the movie then it just fell apart.

Warm Bodies (3/10) - some cool visuals but basically a Twilight reboot...my wife tricked me into watching it under false premises

A Good Day to Die Hard (4/10) - Part of enjoying a Die Hard movie is suspending disbelief, knowing that it's going to be a little bad (but in a good way) and settling in comfortably for the ride. This one fell short on all fronts, it tried to be too serious and 'badass' instead of just embracing the ridiculousness. In this shit movie they repeatedly write themselves into corners and then are forced to just make up nonsense to explain it. I LOVE the Die Hard series, they aren't especially great movies but they're enjoyable nonetheless, not this one...this is like Rocky V

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The last five movies I saw were:

Jack Reacher. 3/5 - Standard fare, but it's a complete joke that the midget Tom Cruise is portraying Jack Reacher who is tall and big in the novels.

Olympus has fallen. 4/5 - Best pure action movie I've seen in years. It's fairly corny story-wise and a couple CGI effects are so-so, but holy hell is the action good. Watch it and turn off your brain.

Man of steel. 4/5 - Liked it, gritty like the Nolan Batmans and I really liked the Krypton stuff.

The hurt locker. 4/5 - Can't believe it's taken me so long to watch this, but I really liked it. Jeremy Renner really made his character seem that good crazy.

Argo. 5/5 - Just watch it. Sooooooo tense!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Warm Bodies (3/10) - some cool visuals but basically a Twilight reboot...my wife tricked me into watching it under false premises
    Twilight reboot? Did we watch the same movie? Twilight is a vapid teen horror romance. Warm Bodies is a zombie comedy with a smart script.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Twilight reboot? Did we watch the same movie? Twilight is a vapid teen horror romance. Warm Bodies is a zombie comedy with a smart script.
    perhaps that was too harsh but watch it again, pay special attention to the horrid dialogue and then tell me how it's different from the tweener movie of the the season. It had some cool CGI enhancements and some of the concepts were cool (like how eating someone absorbs their memories etc) but beyond that the writing was at a jr high level. For the record, my wife enjoyed it, but take that with a grain of salt because she's watched all the Twilights too I believe -lol

Argo I thought was awesome, hurt locker was pretty good too, haven't seen tjhe others

Dobber Sports Padawan

-Fast and the Furious 6- if you like crappy movies (I love them) this is gold
    -Despicable Me 2- meh
    -This Is The End- runs a little long but this is full of good laughs. The apocalypse+pineapple express crew= stoner movie of the summer

I'm hearing very good things about "Way Way Back" and "Pacific Rim" both will be seen within the next two weeks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

perhaps that was too harsh but watch it again, pay special attention to the horrid dialogue and then tell me how it's different from the tweener movie of the the season. It had some cool CGI enhancements and some of the concepts were cool (like how eating someone absorbs their memories etc) but beyond that the writing was at a jr high level

Argo I thought was awesome, hurt locker was pretty good too, haven't seen tjhe others
    I've already watched it twice. It's a smart parody of many zombie conventions and the whole movie is done tongue-in-cheek, as opposed to Twilight (or the new The Host) which is super serious all the way through. The dialogue is supposed to be corny. The movie didn't quite reach the level of the novel, but it still did really well both in terms of comedy and the few poignant points it tried to make about what humanity is and whatnot.

Baffling statement It's not at all a tweener movie as it has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many references and smart things in it. I think you're looking a bit too much at the two main characters being pretty young people.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Primer - Loved it but will have to watch it a few more times to try and understand most of it. Time travel movies are fun.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Primer - Loved it but will have to watch it a few more times to try and understand most of it. Time travel movies are fun.
    I haven't seen that one yet, but I've heard that if you watch it, you should set aside enough time to watch it twice in one sitting because of all the "ahaaa!" factors.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I haven't seen that one yet, but I've heard that if you watch it, you should set aside enough time to watch it twice in one sitting because of all the "ahaaa!" factors.
    Even better would be to watch it with a few friends who like this sort of film to discuss it with.

Dobber Sports Genius

The last five movies I saw were:

Jack Reacher. 3/5 - Standard fare, but it's a complete joke that the midget Tom Cruise is portraying Jack Reacher who is tall and big in the novels.

Olympus has fallen. 4/5 - Best pure action movie I've seen in years. It's fairly corny story-wise and a couple CGI effects are so-so, but holy hell is the action good. Watch it and turn off your brain.

Man of steel. 4/5 - Liked it, gritty like the Nolan Batmans and I really liked the Krypton stuff.

The hurt locker. 4/5 - Can't believe it's taken me so long to watch this, but I really liked it. Jeremy Renner really made his character seem that good crazy.

Argo. 5/5 - Just watch it. Sooooooo tense!
    Good selection here. Loved Argo and still wish my wife would sit down and watch it. Olympus and Man of are on my short list.

Any thoughts out there on The Purge or Evil Dead?? Thanks guys for the input so far. Let's keep the thread going.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Good selection here. Loved Argo and still wish my wife would sit down and watch it. Olympus and Man of are on my short list.

Any thoughts out there on The Purge or Evil Dead?? Thanks guys for the input so far. Let's keep the thread going.
    Haven't seen The Purge but according to a few reviews I've seen it seems they take what could have been such a great movie and turn it into a vapid "oh no the killer is in the house!" movie.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

I've already watched it twice. It's a smart parody of many zombie conventions and the whole movie is done tongue-in-cheek, as opposed to Twilight (or the new The Host) which is super serious all the way through. The dialogue is supposed to be corny. The movie didn't quite reach the level of the novel, but it still did really well both in terms of comedy and the few poignant points it tried to make about what humanity is and whatnot.

Baffling statement It's not at all a tweener movie as it has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many references and smart things in it. I think you're looking a bit too much at the two main characters being pretty young people.
    hmmm, I didn't see it so much as tongue-in-cheek as I did just poorly written in parts, and yeah I caught some of the references to be sure (maybe not enough, I dunno, I'm not a zombie movie aficionado or anything, just the usual classics) . To me it almost seemed like it was written by two people on opposite sides of the world who didn't speak the same language and didn't know what the other was writing. Some parts I was drawn into the story and even chuckled a few times at the humor. But then the next scene would devolve into Bella and Jacob and I'd lose interest.

Speaking of zombie spoofs, I recently watched Shaun of the Dead again for the first time in years and thoroughly enjoyed it once again

The Great One

Haven't seen The Purge but according to a few reviews I've seen it seems they take what could have been such a great movie and turn it into a vapid "oh no the killer is in the house!" movie.
    Exactly what I thought. Great concept, terrible movie.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

hmmm, I didn't see it so much as tongue-in-cheek as I did just poorly written in parts, and yeah I caught some of the references to be sure (maybe not enough, I dunno, I'm not a zombie movie aficionado or anything, just the usual classics) . To me it almost seemed like it was written by two people on opposite sides of the world who didn't speak the same language and didn't know what the other was writing. Some parts I was drawn into the story and even chuckled a few times at the humor. But then the next scene would devolve into Bella and Jacob and I'd lose interest.

Speaking of zombie spoofs, I recently watched Shaun of the Dead again for the first time in years and thoroughly enjoyed it once again
    The weakest part of Warm Bodies, IMO, was the third act when everything became too tacky and predictable. But the first two acts were a lot of fun as a zombie fan.

If you really liked Shaun of the Dead you should take a look at the other stuff with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, directed by Edgar Wright. Hot Fuzz (movie) and Spaced (series) and the upcoming The World's End (trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo7eJR2cvc ). Really brilliant stuff for the most part!
    GO WINGS!