Page 52 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    The Witch--- 1/10
    Seriously, how did this get such good reviews? Terrible. Not only was the movie incredibly dumb, but it borders on needing subtitles to understand the Puritan accent.

Dirty Grandpa--- 3/10
    Pretty stupid movie, even Aubrey Plaza in lingerie couldn't make the 90 minutes worth it. Had a few chuckles, but only because it was De Niro.

The Hills Have Eyes 2--- 2/10
    Stupid movie, but I didn't watch it for its cinematography or plot. Some solid kills I suppose.

clearly I've had too much time on my hands and am grasping for straws when it comes to movie nights.
    My advice is to make ditching bad horror movies your next New Years Resolution, because they're not going to get any better.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Giant

The Witch--- 1/10
    Seriously, how did this get such good reviews? Terrible. Not only was the movie incredibly dumb, but it borders on needing subtitles to understand the Puritan accent.

Dirty Grandpa--- 3/10
    Pretty stupid movie, even Aubrey Plaza in lingerie couldn't make the 90 minutes worth it. Had a few chuckles, but only because it was De Niro.

The Hills Have Eyes 2--- 2/10
    Stupid movie, but I didn't watch it for its cinematography or plot. Some solid kills I suppose.

clearly I've had too much time on my hands and am grasping for straws when it comes to movie nights.
    Hehe as IK said, you have to stay away from those crappy should-be ''straight-to-DVD'' movies

What is your favourite movie genre? Maybe some of us can chime in with our favourites from that particular category and help you avoid falling on some ''rotten tomatoes'' (pun intended).
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hehe as IK said, you have to stay away from those crappy should-be ''straight-to-DVD'' movies

What is your favourite movie genre? Maybe some of us can chime in with our favourites from that particular category and help you avoid falling on some ''rotten tomatoes'' (pun intended).

Well, I'm definitely a fan of horror movies (when they don't miss the mark). I also like action/adventure, and I really like suspense and thriller movies. Anything that'll make my eyes bug out or my skin tingle! With dramas, I need heavy hitters-- ex, Room.

I also try to keep movies as close to 2 hours or below, otherwise it's just hard for me to want to sit through the whole thing. Even a great movie loses me when it approaches the 2 hour mark if it's not barreling towards the climax.

Dobber Sports Giant

My top recent horror movies (off the top of my head) that you may not have seen are:
    - It Follows
    - Cabin in the Woods
    - The Babadook
    - You're Next

I'll try to think of more shortly as well as some from other categories.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Giant

A couple of thrillers that I enjoyed in the past are (I'm scrolling through my home library list ATM ):

- Gone Girl
    - Gone Baby Gone
    - Oldboy
    - The Game
    - Fracture
    - Drive
    - Seven
    - Snake Eyes
    - 8MM
    - Running Scared
    - Memento
    - Jack Reacher
    - The Prestige
    - The Next 3 Days
    - Blood Diamond
    - Inception
    - Snowpiercer

If you have seen some of these and you like them, odds are you will like the others I have listed that you haven't watched.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    A couple of thrillers that I enjoyed in the past are (I'm scrolling through my home library list ATM ):

- Gone Girl
    - Gone Baby Gone
    - Oldboy
    - The Game
    - Fracture
    - Drive
    - Seven
    - Snake Eyes
    - 8MM
    - Running Scared
    - Memento
    - Jack Reacher
    - The Prestige
    - The Next 3 Days
    - Blood Diamond
    - Inception
    - Snowpiercer

If you have seen some of these and you like them, odds are you will like the others I have listed that you haven't watched.
    Thanks! I hven't seen a handful of these-- including 8MM, Snake Eyes, Snowpiercer, The Next 3 Days. I don't think I've seen Gone Baby Gone, but it sounds familiar. Was it a Patterson book (or other comparable writer)? I might put that on top of the queue.

I've seen all of those horror films except It Follows-- will definitely check them out.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Thanks! I hven't seen a handful of these-- including 8MM, Snake Eyes, Snowpiercer, The Next 3 Days. I don't think I've seen Gone Baby Gone, but it sounds familiar. Was it a Patterson book (or other comparable writer)? I might put that on top of the queue.

I've seen all of those horror films except It Follows-- will definitely check them out.
    Pretty sure that Gone Baby Gone was by Dennis Lehane, who also wrote Mystic River.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Giant

As IK said, it was based on Lahane's book. Also, it's a Ben Affleck movie, which tend to be good under-the-radar blockbuster hits (i.e. The Town, Argo, Gone Girl just to name a few).

Minors:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My take on the last movies that I have seen:

The Hatefull Eight - 9.0
    Great movie, classic Tarantino, watched it the next day just for the dialogue that I may have missed.

The Revenant - 7.5
    Good movie, good cineamatography, etc, etc... but you know how the movie will end halfway through so it basically kills the end.

DeadPool - 3.0
    Wow, after reading reviews here I thought this would be great. It was, however, really bad. Someone said it was probably aimed at
    10-12 year olds and I think they are right. Just a bad, bad movie.

Star Wars Force Awakens - 7.0
    Basically same as the first one, but interesting....

Sicario - 8.0
    Watched this with the wife and she really liked it as well. Slow paced but very smart movie.

Dobber Sports Genius

13 Hours Secret Soldiers

9/10 - really liked this one. NEVER heard of it before I saw it on the rental shelf. If you liked black hawk down or American sniper you will like this one. Based on true story from a few years back. A few of the real seals and rangers who fought helped Michael Bay with the film - so it's fairly accurate from what I've read. Looks and sounds good on the big screen. Worth it. 2hrs 20 mins.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    13 Hours Secret Soldiers

9/10 - really liked this one. NEVER heard of it before I saw it on the rental shelf. If you liked black hawk down or American sniper you will like this one. Based on true story from a few years back. A few of the real seals and rangers who fought helped Michael Bay with the film - so it's fairly accurate from what I've read. Looks and sounds good on the big screen. Worth it. 2hrs 20 mins.
    Ya, it was solid!! I think I had given an 8.5 or 9 as well in one of my last posts. It's definitely up there as one of my all-time favourite modern-day war movies!

Considering you liked 13 Hours and that you like Blackhawk Down, you may also enjoy Special Forces starring Djimon Hounsou and Diane Kruger. It's a low budget war/rescue movie but it's pretty good despite being a straight to DVD movie (it should still be on Netflix if you own it).
    Avoid watching the trailer as it does give out key scenes but if you must, here it is:
    http://youtu.be/JhenTmEcKa8

Another great war movie that many haven't seen is Tears of the Sun starring Bruce Willis and Monica Bellucci! Loved that one as much if not more than 13 Hours!

Minors:

Dobber Sports Genius

Finally did it........jumped into Dumb and Dumber To - 6/10 - not as bad as I thought it would be. still laughed. the stink-a-roo beer gag made me howl. the dusty vag; not so much. Disappointed the mutt cuts truck wasn't used more but the Zamboni was ok too.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Master

The Finest Hours: 8.5

Just a good old movie... no massive plot twists or other craziness. Just a compelling story well told.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Expert

Independence Day: Resurgence - 2/10 - A whole lot of suck and I really wanted to like it.
    Zootopia - 7/10 - Fun animated film, felt like something was missing. Good underdog story.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Sage

Just watched Spotlight since it has been released on Netflix.

Fantastic Movie. 9+/10

Great cast and performances.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov