Page 20 of 105 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Frozen is the shit! My girlfriend and I watched it the other week and just bawled our eyes out because it's so good. No jokes. I'm going to be crying during every goddamn movie when I hit 40.
    Or when you're watching Frozen for the millionth time.

I've actually been lucky in that regard. My kids have seen Frozen twice, and only once at home. The soundtrack is on all the time, but at least the movie isn't.

I will say that I am surprised by how Disney movies are scary for kids. One of my girls is a huge Little Mermaid fan despite never seeing the movie. So we went to watch it, and had to turn it off about 20 minutes in. There was the dad getting mad at Ariel, the evil octopus witch girl, the boat crashing in a storm and the prince almost drowning. Pretty heavy.

Even Frozen is like that. The first 20 minutes, Anna gets her brain frozen, Elsa becomes a scared lonely girl, the parents die in a shipwreck, Elsa and Anna don't talk. They just did a good job hiding it in catchy songs.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

Disney has always been like that. Snow White scared the crap out of kids.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btmfone View Post
    Man of Steel - 7/10
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 9/10
    The Way Way Back - 9/10
    Mud - 8.5
    Adult Children of Divorce - 7/10
    can you tell me what you liked about the way way back? I seen it on a plane, and I thought it was an empty movie. Not funny, no good characters, bad acting. I didn't get the point of that at all. But sometimes on airplanes movies are different for sure. So interested to read your thoughts

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Disney has always been like that. Snow White scared the crap out of kids.
    I remember watching Toy Story 3 a few years ago, and wondering how that ever got a G rating. I read that parents were storming out of theatres with their kids. Besides the bad toys angle, you also had the fire pit scene that went on and on. Apparently, a lot of kids were bawling at that one.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I remember watching Toy Story 3 a few years ago, and wondering how that ever got a G rating. I read that parents were storming out of theatres with their kids. Besides the bad toys angle, you also had the fire pit scene that went on and on. Apparently, a lot of kids were bawling at that one.
    So, true.
    I think that most people in the film industry aren't necessarily the model of parenting.
    OK kids, I'll be gone for most of my life... don't misbehave or our graphics team will be back to digitally scare the shit out of you with some CGI monsters & dinosaurs... ok, love you!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    My kids had some angst while watching that film, but they also loved it.

Banned

Okay, so I watched Heaven is for Real, and The Book Thief last night (and this morning)

I'll start with Heaven is for real:

I am not religious, but the concept sounded interesting. Watching the movie though, I thought it was incredibly stupid. No real attachment to the characters, not a great story, not great acting. Just a meh boring kinda show. Wouldn't really recommend it. Did some searching on the "true" story online after, and still didn't wow me after. Perhaps if you are religious you like it I don't know. I'll keep my religious opinion to myself cause I don't want to start a debate lol.

The book thief:

I absolutely loved the movie with the exception of the end. I felt they rushed the end. They could have done another 30 minutes or an hour and finish it properly. The time flew by, and it captivated me every moment.
    I do love WW2 movies/stories a lot.

The girl in the book thief was fantastic, and hope to watch many more shows with her in it. great acting all around, and during the movie I felt pretty privileged not to have lived during that time. I can only imagine...

Definitely recommend that one if you are at all interested in ww2 movies.

And because I love those movies a lot, I'll give a list of some of my must watch movies on the topic.

Schindler's list (obviously)
    The Grey Zone
    The Pianist
    Valkyrie
    Hitler: The Rise of Evil
    Black Book (one of my favorites)
    The boy in the striped pajamas

If you have any recommendations for that genre, I would gladly hear them.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hope you've seen Life is Beautiful Dutch. One of my favorite movies and connected to that time period as well.

Dobber Sports Guru

I hope you've seen Life is Beautiful Dutch. One of my favorite movies and connected to that time period as well.
    Great movie! Definitely a must see.

Banned

Yes Absolutely! Can't believe I missed that one in my list. It is a great movie indeed! Thanks!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    can you tell me what you liked about the way way back? I seen it on a plane, and I thought it was an empty movie. Not funny, no good characters, bad acting. I didn't get the point of that at all. But sometimes on airplanes movies are different for sure. So interested to read your thoughts
    My expectations were extremely low when i saw the cast and they did a lot better than i thought they would. That probably pushed the ranking a little high.
    The NDHL 16 team dynasty league
    3C,6W,1F,4D,1G;G,A,PIM,+/-,STP,SOG,Hits,FOW,W,SO,GA,S
    C - Seguin, Turris, Dubinsky, Hertl, T.Johnson
    W - P.Kane, Killorn, R.Smith, Yakupov, Huberdeau, Eberle, Connolly, Jurco
    D - Barrie, Martin, Bogosian, Ellis, Hamonic, Spurgeon
    G - Holtby, Khudobin, Neuvirth
    Farm - Duclair, Mantha, Zucker, Reinhart, Armia, Ehlers, Fiala, K.Kapanen, Rychel, C.Murphy, Oleksiak, M.Jones

Dobber Sports Ninja

Watched Divergent lats night with my wife. It was awfully meh. Maybe the books are better or something. 5/10

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Watched Divergent lats night with my wife. It was awfully meh. Maybe the books are better or something. 5/10
    i watched it last night too, wish i hadn't. in most cases i can't take a movie serious if a kid is the main actor, she wasn't that bad but the movie kinda seemed like a spy kids x hunger games mash up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btmfone View Post
    My expectations were extremely low when i saw the cast and they did a lot better than i thought they would. That probably pushed the ranking a little high.
    thanks for that. I mght have to rerent it and watch it at home properly.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just watched "The Raid 2" last night. Amazing.

For those who are unfamiliar, The Raid is a smaller budget independent Indonesian action/martial arts series that involves your typical cops vs. bad guys storyline. Except the directing in both movies is very impressive and the fight scenes are insane.

If you don't mind reading subtitles and enjoy the occasional kung-fu movie then you'll really dig these two movies.