Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Genius

Captain America. 6.5/10 decent.
    Hobo with a shotgun. 6/10. It was so bad I loved it.
    A lonely place to die. 5/10. The story had me interested but it was just poorly executed.
    The bounty Hunter. 5.5/10. Anything Anniston is worth checking out even if you fast fwd parts.
    Blue valentine. 4/10. I watched it in 10 minutes. Beginning, middle and end fight scene. Depressing movie. (yes I do weird things watching movies in 10 minutes. I'm on paternity leave!! LOL )
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Wizard

1. Skyfall - 5/10. BIG disappointment. It didn't feel like a Bond movie at all. Excellent action, though.

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 8/10. Very good Swedish crime thriller.

3. Tangled - 8/10. My daughter and I enjoyed this a great deal. Good for kids and immature adults too.

4. Prometheus - 4/10. Horrible dialog and mediocre story. Only redeeming factor was the breathtaking cinematography.

5. Planet Earth - 10/10. OK, not strictly a movie but this BBC series of nature documentaries is just out of this world. If you haven't seen this yet, do yourself a favor and do. This is by far the most memorable visual feast in years. Be warned though, it's highly addictive. I keep going back to it over and over.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    1. Skyfall - 5/10. BIG disappointment. It didn't feel like a Bond movie at all. Excellent action, though.

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 8/10. Very good Swedish crime thriller.

3. Tangled - 8/10. My daughter and I enjoyed this a great deal. Good for kids and immature adults too.

4. Prometheus - 4/10. Horrible dialog and mediocre story. Only redeeming factor was the breathtaking cinematography.

5. Planet Earth - 10/10. OK, not strictly a movie but this BBC series of nature documentaries is just out of this world. If you haven't seen this yet, do yourself a favor and do. This is by far the most memorable visual feast in years. Be warned though, it's highly addictive. I keep going back to it over and over.
    I totally second Planet Earth! Did you watch the short "best of" compilation or the complete version spanning several discs? I sometimes leave it on the TV when I'm doing various stuff in the apartment. I catch myself getting stuck in front of the TV because of something completely stunning.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I totally second Planet Earth! Did you watch the short "best of" compilation or the complete version spanning several discs? I sometimes leave it on the TV when I'm doing various stuff in the apartment. I catch myself getting stuck in front of the TV because of something completely stunning.
    I've got the complete multi-disk version. 6 disks of awesomeness.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice job guys, read through all suggestions. I've got some trailers to watch.

No mention of "Argo" yet. Has anyone seen "7 Psychopaths"?

Keep the suggestions coming.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Elf - 4/5 - Even better when your kid is signing "I'm in a store, and I'm SIGNING!!!"

Wreck it Ralph - 3/5 - Not a bad kids movie, some good parts for the parents. Not a classic but pretty good

The Departed 6/5 - Loved it - but love Scorsese, It's no Goodfellas, but it'll do

A Shot in the Dark 4/5 - Classic - lots of great lines

The Five-Year Engagement - 0/5 - One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Felt like it was on forever. When I checked to see how long was left, there was over an hour. Gave up. Wife watched the rest the next day and validated it's awfulness
    14 Team Keeper League
    Keep 15
    Start 9F 5D 1G
    G A PIM GWG W SO OTL

Starters
    F: Pastrnak, Kaprizov, Lafrenniere, Pettersson, Raymond, Byfield, Rossi, Hayton, Arvidsson
    D: Seider, Hanifin, Drysdale, Boqvist, Shultz
    G: Demko

Bench:
    F: Pelletier, Noesen
    D: Lundkvist, Hutson, Nikishin, Addison, Spence, York, Zamula
    G: Levi, Wolf

IR: Fantilli, Sergachev

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    1) Life of Pi - 6.5/10... amazing visual effects, but boring as **** (despite what the reviews say). Two thirds of the movie was a dude and a tiger in a boat...
    Hahahahaha I haven't seen the movie but this is pretty much the whole book. Don't know why they made a movie out of it.

Dobber Sports Novice

I will put the caveat that my ratings are within the context of genre. For instance, i could give a 9/10 to a jackie chan movie, as relative to other similar movies (knowing that in absolute terms vs all other movies it still may only be a 4.5).

Ip Man - 9/10. Love this movie, love the story of ip man and love donnie yen (lead actor). Any bruce Lee fan that doesnt know the man or the movie should remedy this
    immediately.

Ip Man 2 - 7/10. I still love all the same elements but it has no chance to equal the original.

Taken- 8/10. Nothing complicated but I am biased towards movies like this and this one is well put together.

The prisoner - 3/10. I believe this to be jackie chan's worst movie ever made and yes I understand the weighty ramifications of such a statement. Objectively it is closer to a zero. It earns 3 bonus points for layers of sheer inexplicability. Like why is he a pro pool player? Or, as the title character, why is he not in a single scene in the middle 45 minutes or so? Why does he have to win $100k in one night playing poker against gangsters so he can buy a black market liver to save his girlfriends life? So intricate for so little plot-relevance. I digress.

Valhalla Rising - 10/10. I dont like giving 10's for anything but based on what this movie is I have no idea how it could have been improved on. Basically mash-up the grittier elements of gladiator and braveheart, removing any love inerests (or humanity), any trace of a noble cause or greater good, and any semblance of gloss or glamour those movies applied to barbarism. A raw movie equivalent of scandinavian death metal. Which makes me wonder if Goldman would like it. Or at least the soundtrack In case it is not clear, do not show this to your children.
    Last edited by sanstanya; December 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sanstanya View Post
    Valhalla Rising - 10/10. I dont like giving 10's for anything but based on what this movie is I have no idea how it could have been improved on. Basically mash-up the grittier elements of gladiator and braveheart, removing any love inerests (or humanity), any trace of a noble cause or greater good, and any semblance of gloss or glamour those movies applied to barbarism. A raw movie equivalent of scandinavian death metal. Which makes me wonder if Goldman would like it. Or at least the soundtrack In case it is not clear, do not show this to your children.
    I absolutely loved this one too - Mads Mikkelsen was just amazing. NOT a movie for everyone, don't expect viking battles. I know a lot of people would find it boring but if you are looking for something completely different watch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

If you like Werner Herzog this should interest you - it really brought to mind Aguirre: Wrath Of God
    Last edited by PrairieDog; December 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Pro

I've been wanting to watch Valhalla Rising ever since it debuted. Thanks for the reminder!!

my last 5 movies:

1. The Grey: a thriller starring Liam Neeson who gives a very strong performance. Crew of ex-cons working in Alaska fight to survive against a large pack of wolves. Very surprised how much I ended up enjoying this movie. Dark, entertaining, suspenseful...nicely done. Very few movies would I ever watch again, I would definitely watch this one again. 8.5/10

(edit: Just went thru and read the rest of this thread, I see some people weren't pleased with The Grey...where as I'm saying it was a really good film. To each their own!!)

2. End of Watch: one of those gritty cop dramas that attempt a realistic approach on life in law enforcement. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Working in law enforcement myself, there are some things in the movie that made me roll my eyes...but I do think they captured the brotherhood of law enforcement in general. I like everything I've seen Michael Pena in and this might be his best role yet. 7/10

3. Brave - animated movie starts off slow, then things get better after the girl visits the witch. Ends up a fairly enjoyable film. Probably my least favorite Pixar movie, but I still liked it. 6.5/10

4. Hugo - animated movie starts off really slow, but absolutely beautiful visuals/cinematography. Honestly, it couldn't keep my wife and I attention, we turned it off after about 30 minutes...but visually the movie is beautiful. Can't give this movie a rating since I didn't watch the whole thing. N/A

5. In Their Skin - a very disturbing, creepy independent movie reminiscent of The Strangers, even if its not as good. About a murderous family obsessed with finding "the perfect life". Worth the watch if you're into movies of the kind. 6.5/10

Really looking forward to seeing Zero Dark Thirty, hearing nothing but great things about the film.
    Last edited by The Hockey Hitman; December 6, 2012 at 4:21 AM.

Dobber Sports Star

Goon. 7.5/10. Really good hockey movie that you can't take too seriously. Liev Shreiber kills every scene he is in as Ross Rhea.

Drive. 7.0/10. This movie ALMOST did it for me. The opening scene was brilliant. The scene when the driver tells the guy to "shut his mouth, or I'll kick all of your teeth down your throat and shut it for you" scene was brilliant. Watching it, every single second of the movie, I just couldn't shake the feeling that the movie was trying to be "too cool" or "too hip".

The Avengers. 4.0/10. A "fun" popcorn movie. It looked great. It was just SO irrelevant to me; I have a hard time remembering anything that happened in the movie because I just don't care. The idea of the Hulk being able to change at will REALLY bothers me.

The Princess Bride. 10/10. This movie could be the "perfect love story". It's a great "comedy", a great "action movie", a great "romance". It probably hits my "top 3 movies of all time" list.

The Hangover Part II. 1.0/10. Horrible. I never laughed once during this movie. To me, this is a textbook case of "the first one made a boatload of money, LET'S MAKE ANOTHER!!!" Brutal...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

@Rylant

I was really surprised how good Goon was. My wife and I watched it together and both loved it. Its one of a handful of movies I actually have in its entirety on my Droid. Sean William Scott was born to play that character.

Watched "Drive" in the theaters and have to admit, LOVED that movie. Its definitely trying to be something unique on its own, which I appreciated.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    The Hangover Part II. 1.0/10. Horrible. I never laughed once during this movie. To me, this is a textbook case of "the first one made a boatload of money, LET'S MAKE ANOTHER!!!" Brutal...
    Good news, they are going to make another on top of that one!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Expert

1. Skyfall - Saw it twice, once with friends, once on a date. Thought is was great the first time, even better the second time. Definitely will buy it when it comes out. 8/10

2. The Town - I am watching Heist movies all week at home. Besides the Ben Affleck emotional scenes, I like this movie. 7.5/10

3. The Italian Job - Great film, love Ms Theron. 8/10

4. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - Watched it last night, haven't seen it since the 90's. I enjoyed it, but it was not as great as I remember. 6/10

5. Rise of the Guardians - I was in GA and saw a couple of kids movies with my neice and nephew so you guys get a bonus answer from me. This one was pretty decent, a lot better than I thought it would be. Loved that Santa had naughty and nice forearm tattoos. The Easter Bunny was hilarious too. 7/10

6. Wreck it Ralph - I love video games and it was a well made movie. Decent story and the characters were pretty funny. Love how they incorporated classic video game characers. Saw it in a sold out movie theater, that was kind of annoying, kids were yelling out when they saw video game characters they knew. lame. I recommended it though, 8/10

Since I am watching Heist movies this week, I have a few more on the docket.

Heat
    Snatch
    Ocean's 11 (might watch 12 and 13 as well)

This concludes our broadcast day.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I absolutely loved this one too - Mads Mikkelsen was just amazing. NOT a movie for everyone, don't expect viking battles. I know a lot of people would find it boring but if you are looking for something completely different watch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

If you like Werner Herzog this should interest you - it really brought to mind Aguirre: Wrath Of God
    I couldn't remember why I downloaded this movie. I started watching it a while back but wasn;'t paying it any attention. Same director as Drive. I will have to revisit. I absolutely loved Drive.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.