Page 15 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Padawan

The Wolf of Wall Street - 9/10 - A little long, but man does it keep you interested. Some hilarious moments, fine acting and a great story.

Metallica: Through the Never - 2/10 - The story part of the movie makes absolutely no sense. The performance part proves what I've known for a long time -- Metallica ****ing suck now.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 7.5/10 - As Mcgoo mentioned in the post above, this is MUCH better than the first Hobbit movie. I also agree that there's no way they should be making three movies out of this story.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Inception - 4.5/5 - Finally got around to watching Inception last night, great concept, incredible acting and cinematography. All around excellent movie!

My Best Friends Girl - 2/5 - I'm in the minority in that I often actually like Dane Cook (in small doses, not as a leading man) but this movie was pretty awful. There wasn't a likeable character in the movie and you don't know (or care) who you want to end up with the girl in the end. The only thing that saved this from being a 1/5 was a couple of legitimately funny scenes.

When In Rome - 1/5 - Another lame romantic comedy with unlikeable characters. Even the usually adorable Kristen Bell couldn't salvage this mundane drivel

Avatar - 4.5/5 - Another iconic movie that I had yet to watch. It was amazing. Had I managed to see it in 3D it may have even scored a 5/5 from me.

After Earth - 2.5/5 - Really loved the concept but it was poorly executed. Loved the visuals, hated just about everything else.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Giant

I recently had a Japanese/Chinese/Asian martial arts movies marathon over a 2-day span... by myself (my GF wanted nothing of it).

Here are the 6 movies that I watched (started off going to the movies and then the last 5 were on DVD/Netflix):

1) 47 Ronin; Keanu Reeves in a serious movie about Samurais and honor could have been good (I was thinking maybe something in between the Matrix and Constantine; both movies that I enjoyed). However, the story lacked depth and felt hurried. The visuals were great, the action scenes were good, but the acting was so-so. It was missing a little something-something that could have made it memorable. 6/10

2) IP Man; this one has been out for a while but I had not been able to get around to watching it. It had good martial arts scenes, with a long and slow story, while displaying little-to-no emotion. The thing that saved it for me is the fact that some of it was based on true events. 6.5/10

3) Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story; after watching IP Man (apparently the man who trained Bruce Lee), I felt like watching this flick since I had not seen it in the longest time. I really liked this movie since it incorporates a truly great real-life story with good fighting scenes and overall good acting. It takes you across most events in the life of Bruce Lee and shows you a glimpse of how the legend himself lived. A great movie IMO! 8.5/10

4) The Last Samurai; this movie was simply fantastic. Who would have thought that Tom Cruise could portray such a role?!? A bit like 47 Ronin, this movie tells the story of a white man that becomes a Samurai and must overcome impossible odds. Also, there is no supernatural elements as seen in 47 Ronin, which makes this story more realistic. The acting was incredible and the visuals were simply breathtaking! 9.5/10

5) 13 Assassins; a Japanese war movie with English subtitles... Ok so I was not too excited about this one but the story seemed good so I gave it a shot. WOW is pretty much all I can say. Basically, the language barrier is overshadowed by amazing fight scenes along with a great storyline. As in most Japanese movies, the action ones at least, I prefer to leave the subtitles on as opposed to watching a dubbed version. This helps to create an authentic mood that is not ruined by some cheesy voice-overs. This story revolves around 13 assassins from different nations and backgrounds that must unite to fight an overlord and his army that are trying to conquer the whole nation. I won't dive into details, but all I can say is this is a must watch! 9/10

6) Red Cliff; This is the first chapter of a two-part story (I have yet to watch the second movie). Basically the story is about a battle fought in China's Three Kingdoms period, once again with subtitles, with unlikely allegiances and friendships being formed to fight a common enemy (similar to 13 Assassins, but more of a global war with several heroes from each nation). A bit on the long side, but the visuals are terrific and the story is truly compelling. Another gem IMO. 9/10
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Demi-God

BUMP.
    It's been a month and a half. Time to get the "what you've watched" chain going again.

My last six:

The Pianist* (9/10): Very solid WWI / Jew-Nazi movie with Adrein Brody (who I normally loathe). I loved the quiet terror of the movie. Passively anxious... that might be a good term for how I felt throughout.

Michael Clayton (8/10): Smooth Clooney film about a law-firm's "take-care-of-it" guy and big-company lawsuit defense.

Glengarry Glen Ross* (9/10): Loved it. Some films get better with age. The acting & character conversation/interaction was awesome for a movie plot that you would think would be a bore. This film got lost in the 90s "special effects" era. A gem.

Mr. Nobody (8/10): Weird sort of indie film with Jared Leto. About the alternate paths one guy's life takes based on how he makes choices. I really liked this one. Not for everybody, if you like weird stuff (Clockwork Orange, etc.), you'll enjoy this.

Stuck in Love* (7/10): Cute film. Not a lot to it, but I love dysfunctional families. Well written, characters were OK, not great.

Hunger Games/ Catching Fire (6/10): I read the books, I had to watch the 2nd film. Meh, alright. A little slow in some places.

*Netflix Instant Movies.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Glengarry Glen Ross* (9/10): Loved it. Some films get better with age. The acting & character conversation/interaction was awesome for a movie plot that you would think would be a bore. This film got lost in the 90s "special effects" era. A gem.
    One of my all-time favorites. A star-studded cast from top to bottom... Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey... The scene where Alec Baldwin is describing the prizes for the sales contest is a classic.

As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
    Brilliant stuff...

Rylant

Administrator

Haven't been watching movies much in the last couple of years but I've been meaning to finally watch Glengarry Glen Ross. I've seen the "leads are weak" scene probably dozen times because it's epic even out of context but never have gotten around to the full film yet. Movies I've watched in the last couple of months:

Drive, which was awesome. The soundtrack just got me.

The Warriors, a classic that I finally got around to. Still holds up.

Drinking Buddies is one I checked out a while ago but it was definitely a solid flick. Kind of a comedy but not totally. It has Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson among others.

American Hustle was entertaining but didn't do a lot for me. Probably won't watch it again.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

My Last Five are

Mr Peabody & Sherman: Great family movie, and it had some adult jokes kids wouldn't necessarily get. Liked it a lot actually

Escape Plan: Great Movie. Didn't like the ending though. Enjoyed watching it a lot

Captain America (first one): I hate superhero movies, but this one is surprisingly good for me. Love the "normal" guy being a superhero without a completely ridiculous suit.

The Croods: Another family movie. Didn't care for it though

We're the Millers: Very disappointed in this comedy. Had some moments, but definitely didn't deliver

Dobber Sports Ace

8/10 Frozen
    9/10 Brave
    10/10 Cars
    4/10 Planes
    8/10 Monsters University

I have young kids

Dobber Sports Star

Wolf of Wall Street - 5/10 - Way too proud of itself. Gratuitous sex and drugs are a great addition to any film, but they have to be that, an ADDITION to a film. I loved the first half hour to an hour, and was looking forward to watching the transition of the main character from a shy quiet guy to the guy you see in the trailers. Unfortunately they decided to make that transition largely off-screen. I blinked and he was already the 'wolf'. Unbelievable, unlikeable, and over the top for the sake of being over the top.

The Tourist - 1/10 - Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Nominated for a bunch of awards, which is laughable! Comically bad. Further evidence that awards and media hype are often inversely related to the quality of a movie.

The Shawshank Redemption - 10/10 - I wish this was the first time I'd seen it. Easily my favorite movie and I will argue with anyone at length that it is the best movie ever made. Don't give me no Pulp Fiction or Star Wars bullshit. Watch this movie again.

The Count of Monte Cristo (newest one) - 8/10 - Also one that I've seen a bunch of times. Unlike Shawshank which gets better every time, this one gets a little cheesier and worse every time I see it. It still has it all and is worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Lord of the Rings (first one) - 7/10 - Trying to watch these all again, and it's a little hard to take them seriously. I want to like them, but I guess I will never be one of the fantasy buffs around here...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Captain America (first one): I hate superhero movies, but this one is surprisingly good for me. Love the "normal" guy being a superhero without a completely ridiculous suit.
    It's worth giving Marvel credit for the approach being taken with regard to their superhero cash cow. They aren't going to stop pumping these out but they are going with different film makers with different styles, which allows each separate superhero to have his story told in it's own distinct way. They've really gone the 1980's cold war, espionage style with Captain America, which could make that the one series for you. I haven't seen the second one but I am pumped for it. Apparently it is really good.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    The Shawshank Redemption - 10/10 - I wish this was the first time I'd seen it. Easily my favorite movie and I will argue with anyone at length that it is the best movie ever made. Don't give me no Pulp Fiction or Star Wars bullshit. Watch this movie again.
    Absolutely fantastic film, one of my favourites. However, the one small issue I have always had with the movie is that a fair amount of Andy's "prison life" is ripped off from Escape from Alcatraz (1979) starring Clint Eastwood. I saw that before seeing Shawshank so it has always irked me a bit.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Absolutely fantastic film, one of my favourites. However, the one small issue I have always had with the movie is that a fair amount of Andy's "prison life" is ripped off from Escape from Alcatraz (1979) starring Clint Eastwood. I saw that before seeing Shawshank so it has always irked me a bit.
    Interesting. Have you read Stephen Kings original novella? (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption). I haven't yet, but I would be curious how much of the similarity comes from the book vs the movie interpretation. I haven't seen Escape from Alcatraz either which is surprising, but I'll put it on my shortlist.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

300: Rise of an Empire - 6/10 - I really expected better, I enjoyed the first one. They set it up for a third one, so that one should be the bomb.
    Land of the Lost - 8/10
    The Wedding Singer - 8.5/10
    God Bless America - 7.7/10
    The Wolf on Wall Street - 9.8/10 - Really good movie, loved it.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Interesting. Have you read Stephen Kings original novella? (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption). I haven't yet, but I would be curious how much of the similarity comes from the book vs the movie interpretation. I haven't seen Escape from Alcatraz either which is surprising, but I'll put it on my shortlist.
    Maybe I'm being a tad harsh with the ripped off bit but the similarities are numerous. The one thing I will say in King's - I have not read the novella - and the Shawshank writer's defence is that Escape from Alcatraz is based in some ways on the history of Alcatraz itself. Therefore one could argue that it wasn't the movie but the history of the prison that inspired Shawshank. It still bothers me though because the actions and experiences of Robbins' and Eastwood's characters in the movies are the same in some cases. For instance they both use the same methods to escape their cell, they also hide the evidence of their escape plan the same way.

Dobber Sports Guru

The last five movies I've seen have all been on TV.

1) Die Hard. Love this movie. One of my all-time favourites. 5/5
    2) Die Hard 3. Excellent movie. 5/5
    3) Die Hard. It was on twice. Still 5/5
    4) Die Hard 2. It was like Die Hard, but in an airport. 5/5
    5) Die Hard. Yup. 5/5

I swear, it's been on like 10 times in the last two weeks. And I've sat down to watch every one of them.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid