Thread: Would you move Quick to upgrade elsewhere and hang on to Smith?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Would you move Quick to upgrade elsewhere and hang on to Smith?

Goalies were a position of strength for me last year (Lundqvist, Quick, and both Blues goalies) and a major reason why I won our league (the number of shutouts were ridiculous). I drafted Mike Smith this year, and can't help but entertain the idea of selling Quick for another elite player and keeping Smith. I do think that Quick will be good for a long time playing under Sutter, but one can make the same argument for Smith playing in Tippett's system.

I've read arguments in another thread on Smith warning dobberites about his pending free agency and the possible impacts on him should he sign somewhere other than Phoenix. That, coupled with my gut and logic, tell me that I should stick with Quick.

Any thoughts? I'm in an 8 team keeper (keep 12, max 2 goalies) and kept Lundqvist and Quick last year. If you think that selling Quick is smart, what kind of value do you think he'd return?

Here are the rest of the details:

My roster:
    C: Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Shaw
    L: Kovy, Neal, Patches, Ericksson, M Foligno
    R: Wheeler, Simmonds, Voracek, Cole
    D: Chara, Del Zotto, Boyle, Yandle, Campbell, Kulikov, Nikitin
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Smith, Hiller, Brodeur

League settings:
    positions: C(x3), L(x3), R(x3), D(x6), Utility(1), G(x3), Bench(x6) =25 players.
    Cats include: G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd hold onto Lundy and Quick. That's an incredible 1, 2 punch at goalie and it will allow you to focus your drafting elsewhere while other teams scramble to solidify between the pipes
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I ride this team with Lundy and Quick. Arguably the best goalie tandum in your league. No need to wreck that.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yeah, in an eight team league there is a lot of parity at F and D. Quick and Lundqvist could be the difference-makers you need in a title run.

Have you considered dangling Hiller or Smith to gauge interest?

Your team looks really strong, even for an eight team league.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree, keep Lundy and Quick.

That's an unreal tandem! You should be able to get some help in other areas if you dangle Mike Smith and Jonas Hiller.

I would try to upgrade your right wingers, if anything.
    Last edited by dmvincent; November 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Pro

For that team, if it were mine, unless I could get Malkin or Giroux while holding onto my other top end forwards, I wouldn't trade Quick, period.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm always of the mindset to always toss a few lines out there and see what you catch, you may get something of interest, you may not...

What I would probably do is throw Quick and Smith out on the trading block to see what others would offer you in return... See what you would get in return for either one, you might get a little less for Smith, but then you keep your Lundy/Quick tandem... If you get a massive deal for Quick then it might be worth it. If you get nothing of interest then keep them both...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd just keep what you have. When you own 2 of the top 3 goalies in the game, those are the type of stats you just cant replace, even in an 8 team league.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Maaaasquito View Post
    I'm always of the mindset to always toss a few lines out there and see what you catch, you may get something of interest, you may not...

What I would probably do is throw Quick and Smith out on the trading block to see what others would offer you in return... See what you would get in return for either one, you might get a little less for Smith, but then you keep your Lundy/Quick tandem... If you get a massive deal for Quick then it might be worth it. If you get nothing of interest then keep them both...
    good idea here.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Maaaasquito View Post

Bingo! You're in the position of strength here so let the offers come to you.

In the long run I think you should hang onto Lundqvist and Quick and look at moving one of your other goalies for a boost on your RW, which looks to be the only spot lacking a big star on what is a solid team.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Since you are starting 3 goalies per week, I'd probably hang onto Lundqvist, Quick, and Smith (you will probably destroy your competition in goaltending categories).

But since its a keep 12 with max of 2 goalies, I would try and trade your weakest tender of the three at the end of the season, before you have to declare your keepers. After looking over who you'd keep, I think you could move a goalie and significantly upgrade your keepers by adding a solid defenceman. I would target a team who has weak goaltending, and they might be willing to part with a Weber/Letang/Byfuglien/Karlsson if the deal was right.

So in short, roll with the 3 tenders. but see if you can turn one of them into a better keeper before you declare your keepers. if smith/lundy/quick have similar value in the future as they do right now, i dont doubt you could significantly upgrade your blueline (which to me seems like it has the most room for improvement)
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Fall River's Finest
    C(3): Malkin, Kesler, Hanzal
    LW(3): Lucic, Perron, Chimera
    RW(3): Eberle, R. Smith, Doan
    F(3): Stafford (RW), Parenteau (RW), Eakin (C)
    D(6): S. Weber, Suter, Giordano, Yandle, Chara, Polak
    G(1): Miller [+ Niemi, Zatkoff]
    Bench: Filppula (C), Ferland (LW), Stalberg (LW), Weise (RW)

Prospects(10): Roy (C), Tambellini (C), Andreoff (LW), Jensen (LW), Sorensen (RW), Morin (RW), DeMelo (D), Berube (G), Campbell (G)

Dobber Sports Novice

This is awesome - thanks for all the insight! The plan is to retain all 3 (lundy, quick, smith) for the season that WILL happen, and to try and sell after the fact for upgrades or assets. Quick would only be considered in a trade if it involved elite talent (as suggested, malkin and giroux elite), otherwise smith will be shipped out as I can only retain two (or hiller). It's great to confirm your thinking, so thanks again! I'd love to hear more opinns if they're out there.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Novice

- Nudge -

Are opinions still the same with respect to selling Quick and keeping Smith. At the beginning of the season it was argued that it was a silly idea and keeping Quick was a no brainer. With Bernier stealing starts and Quick having a harder go this year, does this logic still stand? Hold steady with Quick and let Smith go (or trade him)?

Thanks!
    8 Team Keeper (Keep 12, max 2 goalies) -G(1), A(1), +/- (.5), PIM (.25), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), Hits and blocks (.1), W(2), GA (-.2), SV (.05), SO (5)

C: Stamkos Tavares Jenner
    L: Ovechkin Panarin Palat Lee Ritchie
    R: Wheeler Backes Pavelski Radulov McCarron
    D: Josi Giordano Muzzin Parayako McDonaugh Markov Petrovic
    G: Lundqvist Bishop Halak Griess Hutchinson

12 Team Keeper (Keep 12) -G(1), A(1), W(2), SO(3)

C: Backstrom Tavares Konecny Rakell
    L: Ovechkin Panarin Palat DSedin Lehkonen Connor Buchnevich
    R: Radulov Backes Williams Okposo Yakupov
    D: Carlson Shattinkirk Leddy Niskanen ALarsson Green
    G: Quick Crawford Helleybuck Halak Zatkoff

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bruneau_paul View Post
    - Nudge -

Are opinions still the same with respect to selling Quick and keeping Smith. At the beginning of the season it was argued that it was a silly idea and keeping Quick was a no brainer. With Bernier stealing starts and Quick having a harder go this year, does this logic still stand? Hold steady with Quick and let Smith go (or trade him)?

Thanks!
    trade smith dont just let him go

but i think quick is the guy to keep still