Thread: 2012 Gold Glove winners

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default 2012 Gold Glove winners

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Good to see a lot of first timers on there.

I find these gold glove awards a joke. The guys who win year after year are normally given a defensive award because of their offensive contributions more so then their defensive abilities. There are certainly some arguements for some of the guys who won it this year vs guys who didnt. Adam Jones makes 8 errors, Mike Trout made 1 and basically identical fielding % yet Jones wins the Gold Glove? Hell, even Colby Rasmus had the identical fielding % as Jones, made 2 less errors and he doesnt win?

That was simply one example of the foolishness these awards bring. I cant be bothered to go looking at others.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh... Trout for sure.

The guys winning are a pretty good bunch, but there are still some reputation picks.
    It reminds of some years when Lidstrom got a Norris candidate-nod even though he wasn't that great.

The CF picks were by far the worst.
    And I don't even care about errors... a few errors... that's just a few outs that aren't made.
    But a great range-y center-fielder can get to an extra 20 balls a year (and that won't show up in most statistics that the voters review).

DWAR is my favourite statistic and very good.
    At centerfield:

3.0 Bourn (ATL)
    2.2 Trout (LAA)
    -0.2 McCutcheon (PIT)
    -1.3 Jones (BAL) - This is actually the 3rd WORST rating for a qualified CF.

It's as if the voters thinking goes:
    "OK, in the American League I'm gonna go with Adam Jones... Baltimore had a good year, they deserve to win something... and Trout won ROY, so that's that. In the National League, well... I'm giving the RF golden glove to Heyward, so that's one for Atlanta, that's enough. Pittsburgh had a pretty good year, I'll give McCutcheon the golden glove".

If a guy has a defensive wins above replacement that is negative... the team could've put an average guy at that position and done better.

Bah.
    The rest of the picks were pretty decent I thought.

Dobber Sports Ace

fantasy baseball gms must've picked these gold gloves.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%