Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monster Trade : Jays and Marlins

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    As much as I disliked JP, and as much as I really like AA as the Jays GM, I can't let the latter take credit where it isn't deserved. JP brought in Bautista for nothing and also made the Edwin deal.
    Doh.....you're right. I have so much hatred for JP that I didn't even give him credit for the best two moves he made.

I still think AA's moves look very good in retrospect. Here's a quick rundown from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Anthopoulos

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Talk about timing...
    ...has the AL East ever been in such a good position for the Jays to capitalize on.

Nice job here for the Jays!!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Doh.....you're right. I have so much hatred for JP that I didn't even give him credit for the best two moves he made.

I still think AA's moves look very good in retrospect. Here's a quick rundown from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Anthopoulos
    Here's the thing, JP might have brought those guys in but you have to give a huge amount of credit to the coaching staff for re-inventing the swing/plate-approach of those two guys. That credit specifically goes to Jays' hitting coach, Dwayne Murphy.

Now Murphy was a guy brought in under JP but it wasn't until AA took over that Murphy made his way up to the position of hitting coach. I don't know whether to credit AA or Cito Gaston or AA for bringing in Cito Gaston who elevated Murphy but what I do know is that without Murphy I don't think either Bautista or Encarnacion become the hitters they are today.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Would someone be willing to translate these baseball players into NHL equivalent players (given injury history/potential etc). Not an exact science since the sports are so different, but still having a hard time understanding what this deal looks like since I am not near as baseball literate as most, particularly when it comes to prospects.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Would someone be willing to translate these baseball players into NHL equivalent players (given injury history/potential etc). Not an exact science since the sports are so different, but still having a hard time understanding what this deal looks like since I am not near as baseball literate as most, particularly when it comes to prospects.
    Think of Buehrle as a veteran that is incredibly consistent, kind of like Ray Whitney. Johnson and Reyes are two stars in their prime, with some injury history, but when healthy they are huge difference makers for their team. Maybe like a Marian Gaborik, but not injured so often.

Bonifacio is a utility guy that can play all over the diamond, similar to Patrick Sharp but not quite as high profile. John Buck is merely a backup catcher since they somehow kept Arencibia in the deal, a guy that when needed can deliver for the team. I'd compare him to Wojtek Wolski.

What I just said might make sense to a hockey fan, I really don't know for sure though.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ninja

One thing we should definitely keep in mind is we don't know if any of these guys will even see a Jays uniform just yet..AA has been well-known to flip freshly acquired players (Napoli, Michael Taylor, Edwin Jackson)...it wouldn't surprise me if he had another deal in the works and is just waiting on league approval on this trade to do it.

I've been saying the Jays should bring back Shawn Marcum for awhile. It wouldn't surprise me if AA flipped any of the players he acquired other than Reyes to get some help elsewhere...maybe even as part of a package deal with one of D'Arnaud or Arencibia. Could see him dealing Josh Johnson because of his injury history + the lack of 'control' his contract has given how important that is to Anthopoulos...then going out and signing Marcum.

Just something to consider.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for converting this into "hockey" for me guys!

Dobber Sports Genius

Is this deal official now? I heard on the radio this morning that MLB has not appproved this trade (yet).
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Is this deal official now? I heard on the radio this morning that MLB has not appproved this trade (yet).
    As I reply to you, it still is awaiting league approval.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If Bud Selig approved the MASSIVE salary dump trade by Boston that sent Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford to the Dodgers this one will be approved as well.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    If Bud Selig approved the MASSIVE salary dump trade by Boston that sent Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford to the Dodgers this one will be approved as well.
    that's what I was thinking as well. If this one wasn't approved that would be ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Delay is because they all had to fly in for physicals.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Star

Saw this somewhere else. Blue Jays/Marlins trade - Top 10 funniest tweets (including a new Jays logo!)

http://storify.com/torontostar/blue-...unniest-tweets

http://storify.com/torontostar/blue-...weets-from-mar
    Last edited by gfhyde; November 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Padawan

I get the impression the AA is going to swing another deal also. I think it would be a bad idea to trade arencibia or d'arnaud. If a really good deal is there, take it. But flipping a catcher because you have depth there wouldn't be wise.

Was Jason Allison even a good player? I honestly don't remember. Hechavarria is going to be a star.

Dobber Sports Ace

Reyes is the star here. Led the NL in steals 3 years and won a batting championship. But I'm looking forward to seeing Bonifacio as a Jay the most.

I see Boni getting a majority of the playing time in the open outfield spot, and the Jays trading for a better defensive 2nd base. Izturis is not the man. We're replacing a positive defender (Escobar) for a negative (Reyes). Reyes did have a couple great defensive seasons 5 years ago, maybe he can get it back. I expect to see 2b go to another non-hitting defender like Omar Vizquel.

Tried to draft Bonifacio last year as a sleeper, wanting 70 steals from him. My commish beat me too him. If he bats second for the Jays, the steals might not be there, but he's in for a 100 run season. The problem he faces is that he's not much different from Rajai Davis aside from his versatility (has played 3b/ss/2b and all 3 OFs).
    Last edited by duducks; November 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%