Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monster Trade : Jays and Marlins

Dobber Sports Star

Nolasco the next guy to go somewhere. $11.5 million owed next season. I've never liked the guy. Going the Red Sox love him
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have a feeling the Jays aren't done yet either.. I can actually see them adding another starting pitcher to join the rotation of J.Johnson, M.Buehrle, B.Morrow, and R.Romero..

I can also see them adding a big bat to bat in the 4 hole.. They could use a LF or a 1st baseman. Hell, they could really use a true DH..

AA is not done..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

On paper this deal looks quite good for the Jays, and I REALLY hope it pans out. But I am not getting too excited over anything AA does any more. He's the supposed saviour of this franchise but has proven absolutely nothing when it comes to real results.

This has the potential to change that I hope.

Dobber Sports Star

Doulos makes a good point. I'm acting like a kid on Christmas day but maybe I should tone it down a little. JJ has had health problems for a while. Though he was "healthy" last year, his stuff wasn't the same. Buehrle will have his work cut out for him too (but I'd consider him dependable).

Reyes has had health problems too, no? Has he ever run into manager problems? With his commitment level...etc.

Bobifacio is good people. I like him thrown in here.

Don't care much for Buck but lets see if he helps the young guys behind the plate some.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Immortal

This deal looks better than good on paper. It's friggin fantastic. They traded potential for NOW!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Official MLB reporter for the Marlins had this to say.

Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro
    As this trade sinks in, #BlueJays are getting such high character guys. #Marlins

IMO they get more than just stars, they get leaders and guys who can make a huge impact on the team and clubhouse.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    On paper this deal looks quite good for the Jays, and I REALLY hope it pans out. But I am not getting too excited over anything AA does any more. He's the supposed saviour of this franchise but has proven absolutely nothing when it comes to real results.

This has the potential to change that I hope.
    I agree the results at the major league level aren't there yet......BUT.....under AA the Jays have assembled one of, if not the best farm system in baseball. Yeah, the casual baseball fan hasn't seen what this has done for the franchise.....until now!!! AA just traded 3-4 players most Jays fans have never even heard of for all-stars. To top it off, they still have lots of depth in the system!

So, I disagree with the notion that we shouldn't get too excited over AA's moves, this is the guy who nabbed Bautista for nothing, turned an aging Rolen into Encarnacion, flipped Marcum for Lawrie, League for Morrow, etc. If you ask me, this guy has the midas touch! Hell, he even managed to get ANYONE to take Wells, now THAT is a feat!

Last year was a complete trainwreck that was mostly outside of AA's control. In an alternate universe the Jays were a respectable team last year and could be a very good team this year.

I haven't been this excited about a Jays season in a LONG time

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I agree the results at the major league level aren't there yet......BUT.....under AA the Jays have assembled one of, if not the best farm system in baseball. Yeah, the casual baseball fan hasn't seen what this has done for the franchise.....until now!!! AA just traded 3-4 players most Jays fans have never even heard of for all-stars. To top it off, they still have lots of depth in the system!

So, I disagree with the notion that we shouldn't get too excited over AA's moves, this is the guy who nabbed Bautista for nothing, turned an aging Rolen into Encarnacion, flipped Marcum for Lawrie, League for Morrow, etc. If you ask me, this guy has the midas touch! Hell, he even managed to get ANYONE to take Wells, now THAT is a feat!

Last year was a complete trainwreck that was mostly outside of AA's control. In an alternate universe the Jays were a respectable team last year and could be a very good team this year.

Cautiously optimistic is my stance, and it certainly looks good on paper right now - which is not a bad thing by any means. Here's hoping this time it's for real. It's just been two decades of "maybe this time they will do well" and so I have a hard time being too excited until the season gets going.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post

I think the last time I was this excited was the year they signed Burnett and BJ Ryan.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think the last time I was this excited was the year they signed Burnett and BJ Ryan.

Please don't bring that up.

Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24

Watcha think Toronto?! I'm still waiting for those "It's Official" words. But I am beyond excited for the city, fans and the team. #Boom
    Expand

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

I haven't been this excited since they signed Frank Thomas...
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Really nice deal for the jays. We shipped some good prospects and still have a stable full of high quality ones. AA has done a wonderful job in addin JJ (potential ace) and buehrle (an inning eating machine). Romero isn't overrated and with morrow have a solid top four now. Add to the fact that AA has solidified the bullpen and the jays arms should keep them in many games.

Offensively, Reyes is more than capable of being the lead off guy we have needed. Bonz is a burner too and another solid addition. You know AA isn't done yet and here's hoping he lands Berkman as our dh. With the speed up top, Bautista and Edwin will see a lot more fastballs. Be it speed or power, this line up is going to be very good.

If nothing else, this deal has kept a promise to the fans of Toronto and showing us that the jays are ready and willing to do what it takes to win.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Marlins got taken to the cleaners and then swirlied in the toilet all at once. Well done!
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Cautiously optimistic is my stance, and it certainly looks good on paper right now - which is not a bad thing by any means. Here's hoping this time it's for real. It's just been two decades of "maybe this time they will do well" and so I have a hard time being too excited until the season gets going.

its also been 2 decades since they have pulled off a deal like this too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I definitely agree with the whole idea of cautious optimism. Honestly, I'm not setting my expectations too high because you'll almost always be disappointed. I'm just happy that amidst all this turmoil in Jays land, losing our manager and first/third base coaches including Brian Butterfield who was one of the most important pieces of this organization IMO...that we finally have something to be excited about!

We actually have a starting rotation that isn't pieced together with players that aren't ready to be in the big leagues. We finally don't have to watch guys like Dana Eveland and Jojo Reyes suck for weeks as management tries to throw shit against the wall to see what sticks. We finally have pitching depth that we don't have to rely on the likes of friggin Fransisco Cordero and whoever that Pauly guy was that sucked.

We finally have a legit leadoff man...and can stop trying to fit square pegs into a round hole. Regardless of whether or not this team actually will pull it all together and win is to be seen...a lot of other teams have spent a lot more in a season and failed to get anywhere. I'm just glad that now they maybe have a chance.