Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Monster Trade : Jays and Marlins

Dobber Sports Ninja

Those of you that know me and see how often I post in the Jays thread know how critical I can be of the team but let's not crap over this trade because the bottom line is that this deal was a fleecing. It still is.

It was the Dickey deal that really looks terrible right now (and I wasn't a big fan of it then) and the rest of the guys already on the team doing everything they can to lose.

And EV, if we're talking about spending $ wisely I wouldn't look at the Red Sox as the gold standard for that. They're just lucky that LA was dumb enough and rich enough to take on all of their salaries.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Those of you that know me and see how often I post in the Jays thread know how critical I can be of the team but let's not crap over this trade because the bottom line is that this deal was a fleecing. It still is.

It was the Dickey deal that really looks terrible right now (and I wasn't a big fan of it then) and the rest of the guys already on the team doing everything they can to lose.

And EV, if we're talking about spending $ wisely I wouldn't look at the Red Sox as the gold standard for that. They're just lucky that LA was dumb enough and rich enough to take on all of their salaries.
    Can the same not be said about the Marlins? They were lucky that the Jays took all their salary. It wasn't a fleecing in the sense that they wanted to get rid of salary. They didn't want anything in return.

The Jays IMO need to go back to drafting and developing as that's the only way they will be able to compete. The Red Sox are good, and have won two WS, based on drafting and developing for the most part.

Who is the last star player the Jays have grown at home? Are there any on this current team?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Can the same not be said about the Marlins? They were lucky that the Jays took all their salary. It wasn't a fleecing in the sense that they wanted to get rid of salary. They didn't want anything in return.

The Jays IMO need to go back to drafting and developing as that's the only way they will be able to compete. The Red Sox are good, and have won two WS, based on drafting and developing for the most part.

Who is the last star player the Jays have grown at home? Are there any on this current team?
    They drafted JP Arencibia didnt they? He's a star player right??
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nope, not a single one. Halladay, Wells, Rios. The list is a short one.

I don't disagree, I've long had issues with the way this organization has been run from a scouting and development perspective. Doesn't help when your first round selections refuse to sign with your club. Thank god for baseball's draft rule that gives you a compensatory pick in the following year or else not only would we be losing years of development but also burning picks to boot.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    The Dickey trade might just be AA's legacy. Depends on D'Arnaud. In hindsight, I wish we had kept Buck, traded JP, and let D'Arnaud develop as the future stud he's projected to be. Sadly, he will do that for another team as Dickey struggles to regain his form.
    From what I've read, D'Arnaud has dropped significantly in a lot of prospect rankings simply due to his high susceptibility to injury. Having a catcher that can only play a portion of the season is a real big buzzkill.

Syndergaard though is still trucking along in his development, he has pitched well at the AA level and seems to be progressing well.

Banned

Didn't notice the Blue jays Thread. My bad. You can move this discussion over there if you want

Dobber Sports Ninja

Didn't notice the Blue jays Thread. My bad. You can move this discussion over there if you want
    Yeah, if you're gonna trash talk the Jays then at least do it with the rest of us lol