51 63.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Rask vs. #2 Carey Price

Dobber Sports Pro

I believe the correct term is "thoroughbred"
    PRICE !
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    It's an upside thing for this one season. Worst case, Rask has to split time with someone but even in that scenario he's arguably more valuable than Price or at the very least even. Best case, he runs with the job and blows Price away.
    Yes... finally some common sense in this thread. I thought I was on a foreign planet or something for a while there...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Yes... finally some common sense in this thread. I thought I was on a foreign planet or something for a while there...
    The voters feel that the opposite is the "common" sense...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    if I'm in a league where I only have one goalie, who am I going to go with?
    Have you ever played in a league with one goalie?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The voters feel that the opposite is the "common" sense...
    Well... similar to the US... the voters are ****ING NUTS! These must be the same voters who elected Bush TWICE!

Administrator

Well... similar to the US... the voters are ****ING NUTS!
    Well which country do the know-it-all guys like yourself who are less nuts live in?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Have you ever played in a league with one goalie?
    I've played in a league with 1, 2, and 3 goalies.

Regardless, if I need to hinge my goalie stats on one goalie primarily, I'm going with Price.

Administrator

I've played in a league with 1, 2, and 3 goalies.

Regardless, if I need to hinge my goalie stats on one goalie primarily, I'm going with Price.
    IMO, the voters tell the story. Most people will base their votes around what they know, which is the leagues they play in. So even though it's a different answer in each format, we're up to 54 votes now.

Or we can just blame the sheep who click on buttons any time the voting is different than our own personal opinion.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I guess I don't see the reason anyone would vote for Price here. Like I mentioned in my earlier post he might be the best goalie in the NHL, but that means little for fantasy hockey.

The only reason I've seen anyone give to vote for Price is because he starts 70 games. Ok.....and....? Even in 50 games, Rask should have better stats. Even if let's say Rask flames out at 45 games, can't handle the workload and blows a hammy, misses the rest of the season. In 45 games, he could still win 25 of those (Price won 26 last year in 65 games). His ratios will be better than Price.

So even in a worst worst case scenario for Rask I don't see where Price wins this. I just don't see any positive to taking Price in this vote. Unless you expect Erik Cole and Desharnais to improve even more on their flash in the pan seasons from last year. Andrei Markov to come back, play a full season and break 60 points. Plekanec to have another year approaching 70 points. Kaberle to pretend it's 2006 again. Maybe even Scott Gomez will play like a top 6 forward again?

I just fail to see any scenario where Price out-performs Rask this season unless you're banking on the Habs having a magical underdog season.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    I guess I don't see the reason anyone would vote for Price here. Like I mentioned in my earlier post he might be the best goalie in the NHL, but that means little for fantasy hockey.

The only reason I've seen anyone give to vote for Price is because he starts 70 games. Ok.....and....? Even in 50 games, Rask should have better stats. Even if let's say Rask flames out at 45 games, can't handle the workload and blows a hammy, misses the rest of the season. In 45 games, he could still win 25 of those (Price won 26 last year in 65 games). His ratios will be better than Price.

So even in a worst worst case scenario for Rask I don't see where Price wins this. I just don't see any positive to taking Price in this vote. Unless you expect Erik Cole and Desharnais to improve even more on their flash in the pan seasons from last year. Andrei Markov to come back, play a full season and break 60 points. Plekanec to have another year approaching 70 points. Kaberle to pretend it's 2006 again. Maybe even Scott Gomez will play like a top 6 forward again?

I just fail to see any scenario where Price out-performs Rask this season unless you're banking on the Habs having a magical underdog season.
    I love how people just know what are the best and worst case scenarios in advance.

Listen, even if you're Nostradamus, you have no clue how the next season will pan out. Sure, the Habs were bad last year but who's to say they'll be bad next year? Let's remember that the NHL has the biggest parity of all major sports. Teams can bounce back after a bad season quite quickly. And vice versa.

Here's what we know:

Price is a proven workhorse goalie who can put up great stats over a full season if his team is good. If his team is average or bad, his peripherals barely suffer but obviously, his wins go down.

For Rask, we don't know much. We know he's a great talent and has the potential to be a very solid goalie. In a 45-game season in 2009-2010, he put up very impressive stats making us believe he could maybe hand a full workload.

So it comes down to this: Would you rather go with the sure thing (Price) with a very low fantasy floor but still quite high ceiling or would you want to go with the gamble (Rask) who has a very high ceiling but also a very low floor?

I think the answer is clear.

But as long as people try to make their decision because they think they know what's going to happen next year, the vote will be close.

Then again, every opinion counts.

Done arguing in this thread but glad to see Price is still on top.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm going to create 20 fake accounts to correct this injustice.

Well a man is entitled to his opinion, no matter how crazy it is

FWIW, I have the two goalies ranked very close... pretty much one after another to be honest. However, the way I looked at it is if I'm in a league where I only have one goalie, who am I going to go with? Price, without a question in my mind.

If it's a league with say 3 goalie slots, and I know I can grab someone like Kipper later to bolster my starts, I might be willing to gamble on Rask more.

I mean I can't imagine myself taking Rask over Price in any format except for a roto league that only counted GAA and SV% or something like that. But in a league where you have a few goalie slots, I can understand the argument of picking Rask over Price if you know you can grab a workload guy later.

I guess specifics on the league could potentially sway my opinion - it remains the same regardless, but I'd certainly be more flexible about it.
    See I feel blayze on this one. I gladly take Rask over Price if not for anything but the team that surrounds them. Granted Rask is not as proven as as Price, but Rask is proven enough considering the team around him is far more established and capable of forcing their will on the opposition. Montreal is just...meh...

Price is supposed to be the better goaltender, but Rask is will be.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    See I feel blayze on this one. I gladly take Rask over Price if not for anything but the team that surrounds them. Granted Rask is not as proven as as Price, but Rask is proven enough considering the team around him is far more established and capable of forcing their will on the opposition. Montreal is just...meh...

Price is supposed to be the better goaltender, but Rask is will be.
    Bomm, you're on drugs my friend. If nothing else, your closing statement of "Rask is will be" proves it :P

Administrator

your closing statement of "Rask is will be" proves it :P
    There are dozens of better examples that prove he is on drugs.