• Tuukka Rask

29 36.25%
  • Carey Price

51 63.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Rask vs. #2 Carey Price

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Do you really think most people (ie: the hundreds of people who vote in these polls, not the small handful of us participate oa daily basis) fully read the OP and give deep thought to the criteria?

Or do you think they see 2 buttons, and just pick one based on the name they are more familiar with so they can see the poll results?

Yeah, based on human behaviour I think it's safe to say it's the latter...
    I actually think Rask could have more keeper league value than Price in the eyes of many. People's issue with Rask for this year is that he is unproven as a workhorse. They see him getting there eventually but have questions today. So if people used your 2 button method the poll could actually be closer.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ignore the news about Rask, and ignore how good or bad the Canadiens team is.

Price put up 38 wins, a .923SV%, a 2.35 GAA, and 8 shutouts on the Canadiens team, which is largely unchanged, just last year. Over the course of a whole season, might I add.

Meanwhile, Rask, while supremely talented, has never started more than 45 games in one season in his life.

And you really want me to gamble on him in a one-year format over someone that has PROVEN he can put up elite numbers despite playing behind a team you and most everyone else has labelled as garbage?

Yea, screw that. Price all the way. We're not talking about a keeper here. If I had to put my chance at a championship on the line of riding Price or Rask as my only goalie for the whole season, I'm sure as hell going Price.
    Last edited by dyzfunctioned; October 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM.

Administrator

Do you really think most people (ie: the hundreds of people who vote in these polls, not the small handful of us participate oa daily basis) fully read the OP and give deep thought to the criteria?

Or do you think they see 2 buttons, and just pick one based on the name they are more familiar with so they can see the poll results?

Yeah, based on human behaviour I think it's safe to say it's the latter...
    In general I'd say, yeah sure, the latter but with this forum and the people who frequent this site? No, I have too much respect for the readers and contributors of this forum to assume anything but genuine thought is being put into the votes for these polls.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    F*ck the news about Rask, and f*ck how good or bad the Canadiens team is.

Price put up 38 wins, a .923SV%, a 2.35 GAA, and 8 shutouts on the Canadiens team, which is largely unchanged, just last year. Over the course of a whole season, might I add.

Meanwhile, Rask, while supremely talented, has never started more than 45 games in one season in his life.

And you really want me to gamble on him in a one-year format over someone that has PROVEN he can put up elite numbers despite playing behind a team you and most everyone else has labelled as garbage?

Yea, f*ck that. Price all the way.
    Look at Dyz getting all hot and bothered!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Look at Dyz getting all hot and bothered!
    You just had to quote as I was making it all PG-13

Dobber Sports Ninja

F*ck the news about Rask, and f*ck how good or bad the Canadiens team is.

Yea, f*ck that. Price all the way.
    First of all, I love the energy!

Secondly, even if Rask only mustered 45 games, and Price had 65, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Rask will post better ratios... meaning in the worst-case scenario, he still takes 2 of 3 categories.

So take a chill pill lol

Administrator

You just had to quote as I was making it all PG-13
    I'd like to claim this as a victory for me, the forum and all of mankind. #winning

First of all, I love the energy!

Secondly, even if Rask only mustered 45 games, and Price had 65, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Rask will post better ratios... meaning in the worst-case scenario, he still takes 2 of 3 categories.

So take a chill pill lol
    I find this ironic - as someone who criticized Price voters for not reading the categories, you consistently refer to 3 categories when there are in fact 4.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd like to claim this as a victory for me, the forum and all of mankind. #winning
    Put it up on the board of shame.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I find this ironic - as someone who criticized Price voters for not reading the categories, you consistently refer to 3 categories when there are in fact 4.
    Now you're just nitpicking, I generally ignore S/O given the random nature.

My point still stands.

Point here is - Rask might beat out Price in SV%/GAA on an average start.

However, in a one-year league, if I'm looking for my #1 goalie I need someone I know will get starts every single week (and multiple per week is even better so I have the option of playing him against a weaker team). I don't have that confidence in Rask.

And it's not like the numbers Price puts up are garbage - his numbers on a given night are still probably going to win you those SV% and GAA over a good number of goalies in a H2H matchup, and the number of starts he gets allows you flexibility in matching him up against favorable opponents, like I said earlier.

Add in the fact that the Habs were pretty much at an all-time low last season and he still posted a .916SV%, GAA well under 2.50, close to 30 wins, and a decent number of shutouts? That ain't to shabby for a down year, especially playing for a bad team.

In Summary:

Price is guaranteed huge numbers of starts. This likely gives me the edge in wins and shutouts. Then comes GAA/SV%. On average, Rask will win these. However, as a Price owner, I can expect multiple starts per week most weeks, giving me flexibility in matchups and therefore more favorable odds of posting good peripherals. I don't have that luxury or confidence in Rask. Maybe you do, and if so good for you, but I'm not staking my fantasy season on it. And we've already seen Price can put up elite numbers over a full season - we haven't seen what Rask is capable of in more than a 40-odd game span.

Administrator

And we've already seen Price can put up elite numbers over a full season - we haven't seen what Rask is capable of in more than a 40-odd game span.
    There isn't even a guarantee that Rask can maintain the great save % numbers this year if he has more work load. He will have to play through his own slumps instead of having the convenient out of letting a HOF goalie take over for a while.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

There isn't a guarantee of anything, I'm simply basing my assessment on the scoring categories and the strength of the teams and how they will contribute to those scoring categories. You seem to have assumed that the format is H2H but I don't recall MD explicitly stating this in the criteria... what if it's ROTO?

We can split hairs on this, but at the end of the day, I see 2 out of 3 "projectable" categories that are pretty much a lock for Rask (that is just my opinion) even if he plays less games than Price. It's absolutely true that Rask is unproven over the course of a 60-70 game workload, but given the scoring categories as well as my personal comfort level with Rask and the Bruins as a complete, dominant team, I will take my chances with Rask any day.

Well a man is entitled to his opinion, no matter how crazy it is

FWIW, I have the two goalies ranked very close... pretty much one after another to be honest. However, the way I looked at it is if I'm in a league where I only have one goalie, who am I going to go with? Price, without a question in my mind.

If it's a league with say 3 goalie slots, and I know I can grab someone like Kipper later to bolster my starts, I might be willing to gamble on Rask more.

I mean I can't imagine myself taking Rask over Price in any format except for a roto league that only counted GAA and SV% or something like that. But in a league where you have a few goalie slots, I can understand the argument of picking Rask over Price if you know you can grab a workload guy later.

I guess specifics on the league could potentially sway my opinion - it remains the same regardless, but I'd certainly be more flexible about it.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In real-ass hockey, Carey Price is imo arguably the best goalie in the league. Lundqvist, Rinne, and Quick are right there and some of them may be ahead of him.....but in actual hockey Price is amazing. Fantasy, there are a few goalies I would take ahead of him...in a one year, Rask is one of those goalies.

Yes Price will start 70 games, and he'll get 30 wins with a 2.40 GAA and .920 sv%, those are awesome numbers. There's some unknown over how Rask will handle a full starter's load of games and it's a legit question. In 2009 when he played the 45 games, I don't look at it as a fairly low number, I look how he started those games. They were handled like a starter, playing almost every night for a stretch of time and he handled himself very well.

Even if Rask can't handle 70 games, he starts 50 while Khudobin (or someone else) starts the others.....in 50 games Rask will still win 30+ of them behind that Boston team, with great ratios. Meaning even in 50 games he'll probably be worth more than Price this year. Now if Rask shows he can handle the load (which I think he'll be fine) and he plays 65 games, that's 40 wins still with ratios that will probably be better than Price.

It's an upside thing for this one season. Worst case, Rask has to split time with someone but even in that scenario he's arguably more valuable than Price or at the very least even. Best case, he runs with the job and blows Price away.

I understand taking Price because he's proven he can handle the workload. But he's also proven he's stuck on a terrible team. In a keeper I take a shot on Price, in a one-year it's Rask for me.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar