Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Schultz 40+ ?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    there's a huge difference between NHL and AHL.
    Not at the moment, lol!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Not at the moment, lol!
    Good one, haha !

From my pt of view there is also a huge difference between been dominant into University level where you only play arround 40 games by season and been dominant on a full NHL level at 82 games ! He will need some time.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Dont forget Whitney. He may never be a 50+ pt D-man again, but he certainly was that as recently as 2 years ago (27 pts in 35 games), he is apparently in the best shape he has been in for years, and as a result the job of running the Oiler powerplay is his to lose. As the Oil are likely to go 4 fwds on the PP that means Schultz most likely runs PP2 this year.
    As much as I love Whitney he'll never be in the best shape again.
    He's too injury-prone and I highly doubt that he'll ever be close to 100% in his carrer again.
    Yahoo - 8 Teams - Dynasty League
    (G,A,SOG,HIT,BS,+/-,W,GAA,SV%,SO)

F: Crosby | Malkin | Ovechkin | Giroux | Toews | Perry | Bergeron | Kovalchuk (IR) | Duchene | Benn | Backes | Callahan | Landeskog | E. Staal | J. Staal | Galchenyuk | Gallagher | Silfverberg | Doan
    D: Letang (IR) | Seabrook | Keith | Girardi | Green | Ehrhoff | Ellis | Kulikov | Trouba | Beaulieu | Spurgeon | M. Staal (IR) |
    G: Lundqvist | Fleury

2006: 9th | 2007: 5th | 2008: 5th | 2009: 2nd | 2010: 1st | 2011: 1st |

Dobber Sports Pro

I stated in a thread a while ago he could easily hit 40 when he signed with Edmonton. Nothing has changed since then.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    He was lusted after by about 20 (or more) teams, which leads me to think he's got legit skill....

Just because he didn't sign with your team doesn't automatically mean Schultz is an over-rated dog.
    Just because all the teams are lusting after an undrafted player doesn't mean he's got legit skill. There's been countless busts in the past (Brunnstrom, Da Costa are the top two that come to mind) of a player that a lot of teams lusted after that didn't pan out.

Do I think Schultz can be a 40-point guy? Yes, but not this year. Sure, he's had a great start in OC. But he's played what, four games? Let's see if he's still doing that in game 60. And then let's see if he can do that in game 60while matched up against guys like Datsyuk, Iginla, Thornton, Parise, Doughty, Keith, etc. on a nightly basis. My answer is no.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just because all the teams are lusting after an undrafted player doesn't mean he's got legit skill. There's been countless busts in the past (Brunnstrom, Da Costa are the top two that come to mind) of a player that a lot of teams lusted after that didn't pan out.

Do I think Schultz can be a 40-point guy? Yes, but not this year. Sure, he's had a great start in OC. But he's played what, four games? Let's see if he's still doing that in game 60. And then let's see if he can do that in game 60while matched up against guys like Datsyuk, Iginla, Thornton, Parise, Doughty, Keith, etc. on a nightly basis. My answer is no.
    You can't compare Schultz to those other signings. And Day Costa is a young prospect with NHL potential. Not sure how you could call him a bust at all when he's hardly played in the NHL. Teams line up for these guys because they are free assets, not because they think and expect them to make a big impact. Its just like free draft picks.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Schultz is not an undrafted "late bloomer" like you seem to think. He was taken 43rd overall in 2008, and took advantage of a CBA loophole that allowed him to become a UFA instead of signing with Anaheim (the team who drafted him).

He was a finalist for the Hobey Baker the last two years, winning defender of the year and 1st team WCHA both years, and 1st team All-America last season. He's not a player who was unknown up until this last year, he's been a legitimate top NHL prospect for 3-4 years now.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Schultz is not an undrafted "late bloomer" like you seem to think. He was taken 43rd overall in 2008, and took advantage of a CBA loophole that allowed him to become a UFA instead of signing with Anaheim (the team who drafted him).

He was a finalist for the Hobey Baker the last two years, winning defender of the year and 1st team WCHA both years, and 1st team All-America last season. He's not a player who was unknown up until this last year, he's been a legitimate top NHL prospect for 3-4 years now.
    Word. Kid's the real deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I would not be surprised to see him hit 40pts. I wouldn't put a lot of money on it but I would put some. Say 30 bucks or so. They gave him the biggest contract they could and I'm assuming part of the deal was, "sure I'll sign with you, but I want lots of money and lots of minutes". I wouldn't be surprised either to see him lead the team in PPTOI.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    I would not be surprised to see him hit 40pts. I wouldn't put a lot of money on it but I would put some. Say 30 bucks or so. They gave him the biggest contract they could and I'm assuming part of the deal was, "sure I'll sign with you, but I want lots of money and lots of minutes". I wouldn't be surprised either to see him lead the team in PPTOI.
    If he leads the team in PPTOI then he is a shoe-in for 50+
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post

I should clarify: I'm not saying Schultz is a bum. I think he'll be fine, and get 40 points in a season (not just this year), as I mentioned in my original posting.

I was speaking more generally: I just think that because a bunch of teams were after a certain player doesn't mean that player will become an elite talent. Or has talent that will translate easily to the NHL (again, generally speaking).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

3 more assists tonight and is tied for the AHL scoring lead with 4g, 5a in 5 games.
    CBS 15 Team Dynasty League (keep 4)
    G(3), A(2), PPP(1), SHP(2), DG(+2), DA(+0.5)
    W(5), S(.1), GA(-1), SO(5), OTL/SOL(2.5)

Dress weekly: 6 FW, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Stamkos, Kucherov, Arvidsson, Hischier, Atkinson, Keller, Bjork, Stepan, E. Lindholm

Defense: Karlsson, Klefbom, Ekblad, Dumba, Montour
    Goal: Talbot, Elliott

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    What a homer.

Lol, smart money would be to bet the under, but I guess you never know. I mean how many people expected Tyler Myers to put up 48 points in his rookie year, or Phaneuf to put up 49. They went different routes true, but my point is that sometimes things just happen that we don't expect.
    How often does it really happen though? It's pretty rare.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
    How often does it really happen though? It's pretty rare.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. Like I said, if I had to take a side, I'd take the under...but as mentioned sometimes players surprise.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

you know what. The chemistry I've seen in the AHL so far... 40+ - I'm in!
    Yahoo - 8 Teams - Dynasty League
    (G,A,SOG,HIT,BS,+/-,W,GAA,SV%,SO)

F: Crosby | Malkin | Ovechkin | Giroux | Toews | Perry | Bergeron | Kovalchuk (IR) | Duchene | Benn | Backes | Callahan | Landeskog | E. Staal | J. Staal | Galchenyuk | Gallagher | Silfverberg | Doan
    D: Letang (IR) | Seabrook | Keith | Girardi | Green | Ehrhoff | Ellis | Kulikov | Trouba | Beaulieu | Spurgeon | M. Staal (IR) |
    G: Lundqvist | Fleury

2006: 9th | 2007: 5th | 2008: 5th | 2009: 2nd | 2010: 1st | 2011: 1st |