Thread: Reseting my keeper league... now what?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Reseting my keeper league... now what?

Hi... I'm in a 10 team keeper league between friends, and we've done it 5 seasons now. It has been standard scoring, total points... but it seems like the same 3-4 teams dominate the standings year in and year out. Time for a change!

We'll probably conduct our new draft via facebook over the next two weeks. Hopefully the lockout is over soon.

We'd like our new keeper league format to be H2H, counting weekly wins (like in fantasy football or so I'm told). This way, things stay competitive longer into the season and the bottom feeders can still play to challenge the top teams later on.

1. What is the standard point scoring system in H2H?

2. Is a weekly win total the best way to determine standings?

3. And what website would your recommend for this format?

Thanks for your help!
    10 Team, (points only) Keeper
    F: Kucherov, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Zibanejad, Nylander, Bjorkstrand, R.Johansen, Perron, Buchnevich.
    D: Burns, Klingberg, Provorov, Fox, DeAngelo, Grzelcyk.
    G: Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Koskinen, Saros, Georgiev.
    Bench: Gurianov, Hintz, Norris, Chytil, Thornton.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As far as website, I suggest CBS. You have to pay for it, but if you divide it amongst all GM's it's only an extra $15. The customization is top notch and it makes the keeper process so easy. I run 3 leagues (football, baseball, & hockey) through CBS and have no complaints.
    10 Team H2H - 7 Keepers (3 Yr Contracts) - Daily Lineup
    G/A/+-/SOG/PIM/FOW/PPP/HITS/BS/W/GAA/SV%

4-C: Backstrom, Weiss, Hanzal, Mackinnon
    4-LW: Benn, Neal, Huberdeau, Heatley
    4-RW: Callahan, Malkin, St Louis, Iginla
    6-D: Chara, Yandle, Faulk, Giordano, Gonchar, Gudas
    3-G: Price, Thomas, Holtby
    7-Bn: Bishop, Fisher, N.Foligno, Roussel, Bennett, Hansen, Hornqvist, Petry
    2-IR:Cammalleri

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm a yahoo guy (i like the system and it's free) and for H2H I'd recommend:

Skaters: Goals, Assists, Points, +/-, Pims, Shots on goal, Hits, Power play points (adding points keeps up the value of top scorers)

Goalies: Wins, Save%, GAA, Saves

I like a 2:1 ratio of player cats: goalie cats

hope this helps
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for your help guys! I Appreciate it. Hopefully the NHL returns soon...
    10 Team, (points only) Keeper
    F: Kucherov, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Zibanejad, Nylander, Bjorkstrand, R.Johansen, Perron, Buchnevich.
    D: Burns, Klingberg, Provorov, Fox, DeAngelo, Grzelcyk.
    G: Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Koskinen, Saros, Georgiev.
    Bench: Gurianov, Hintz, Norris, Chytil, Thornton.

Dobber Sports Genius

I used to be on CBS but I switched to Fantrax for my new league and I must I like Fantrax a lot more than CBS.

Scoring cats that I like are:
    G, A, PTS, GWG, Special Team Points, PIM, Hits, SOG, Blocks, +/-
    W, GAA, Saves, SO
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would recommend Yahoo!

The Yahoo! default H2H settings are 6 categories for skaters & 4 categories for goalies.
    The skater categories are: G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP
    The goalie categories are: W, GAA, SV%, SO

I highly suggest you start your league off in Yahoo! for several reasons:

1. It's free.
    2. The interface is very easy to use.
    3. Yahoo!s pre-player RANKS are based on the default settings. It takes a while to understand how introducing different categories changes player value. Since the Yahoo! RANK is based on their default categories, it means that everybody in your league should draft a competitive team just by following the Yahoo! RANK order. (IF you add in a category like "Hits" though... the Yahoo Rank will NOT reflect this... and there is advantage to anybody in the pool now that recognizes this... because given the pick between player #58 & player #59, they should simply take the player with the most HITS. So, don't include any extra categories for the first year of the pool, just go with the base 6/4)

For example, the Yahoo O-Rank is based on actual statistics for 2011-2012 and you can tell your leaguemates to practice sorting that way. A guy like Rick Nash, who has gone from CBJ to NYR, should have a higher RANK than his stat-based O-RANK because Nash should have better stats & better +/- with New York.

Other servers (ESPN, CBS, Fantrax) are better for the experienced group of poolies... but for NOOBs just starting out in H2H, go Yahoo!

Also, you want the WIN-per-CATEGORY function.
    It's more fun.

If you go WEEKLY WIN, then you can have a team that could technically draft all skaters and punt goalies.
    If he wins all 6 skater categories, then he'd win the match 6-4 using CATEGORY-WIN... but he'd win the match 1-0 using WEEKLY-WIN.
    You don't want a guy like this going 13-0 even though he only wins 6 of 10 categories weekly.

Also - your team may be getting dominated during the week, but there is still fun in chasing that one category that you might be able to win.
    I've done both and the CATEGORY-WIN is much more fun then just a WIN for the overall weekly match-up.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM.