Thread: Dobber Hockey App

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thumbs up Dobber Hockey App

Dobber just posted on Twitter that he has a new hockey app.
    I tried buying it but, it is not compatble with my Samsung tablet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

...is it any good? (obviously you wouldn't know - but anyone else?)

How much is it?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default App

It looks good and is under $5
    Just compatability issues.

Dobber Sports Pro

Looked it up in the appstore, looks great. Available for all Apple products. I am not sure about compatibility with other companies.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Giant

Looks really good. I wish it was free. :-(
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

4.99 is the current price, for the iPhone/iPad version as well as for Android.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

The Great One

$5 is pretty expensive for the Apple Store

Dobber Sports Initiate

I downloaded it, and while I haven't jumped into it to see everything it can do yet, it's easy to use and has a lot of info...Dobber style!
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

What kind of features does it actually contain? $5 seems pretty steep.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Downloaded the app this morning ( I had no idea it existed until this thread) and have poked around a bit. My observations are below.

• The players are ranked by total points, skaters on a one point per goal and one point per assist basis and goalies on a two points per win and two points per shutout basis.
    • You start by choosing how you want to view the players from one of three options; a list of all players, players by team, or players by position. From there you can filter the players further alphabetically or by team; position; or points; whichever category you didn't start with.
    • At anytime you can click on a players name and see their projected stats. Goals, assists, total points and PIM for skaters; wins, shutouts, and total points for goalies. Clicking on a players name also provides injury data and Dobber's notes such as Band-Aid Boy status.
    • At anytime you can assign a player to your team or to another team which creates a strike through effect when looking at their name on any of the pages.
    • Once you've assign players to your team, you can filter them by the previously mentioned choices.

Overall the app looks and functions solidly and quickly. It has value as a draft companion, especially for people like me who are juggling between browser tabs, spreadsheets and other docs during a draft. However I see it as a better tool for offline or slow drafts and limited keeper drafts. It lacks a deep prospect database for dynasty drafts and during an online draft you'll likely be too busy checking notes and lists (unless the point system matches your scoring exactly) to update the players status and keep the app updated. In addition most online draft tools I've found let you pre-rank players and the draft window will automatically update as players are selected, making the app moot. The major shortcoming is that its purely point based which automatically downranks multi-cat players whose peripherals increase their value. There is no ability to sort value by any scoring category other than total points or even adjust the pre-canned point values. The only work around I see to this within the app is to assign those players to your team in advance and refer to that list periodically.

Overall very solid but potentially very limited depending on your scoring categories and draft type. For the $5 would love to see it fleshed out over time to include more scoring categories and end up being more versatile as a result.
    Last edited by rangersfury; October 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Downloaded the app this morning ( I had no idea it existed until this thread) and have poked around a bit. My observations are below.

• The players are ranked by total points, skaters on a one point per goal and one point per assist basis and goalies on a two points per win and two points per shutout basis.
    • You start by choosing how you want to view the players from one of three options; a list of all players, players by team, or players by position. From there you can filter the players further alphabetically or by team; position; or points; whichever category you didn't start with.
    • At anytime you can click on a players name and see their projected stats. Goals, assists, total points and PIM for skaters; wins, shutouts, and total points for goalies. Clicking on a players name also provides injury data and Dobber's notes such as Band-Aid Boy status.
    • At anytime you can assign a player to your team or to another team which creates a strike through effect when looking at their name on any of the pages.
    • Once you've assign players to your team, you can filter them by the previously mentioned choices.

Overall the app looks and functions solidly and quickly. It has value as a draft companion, especially for people like me who are juggling between browser tabs, spreadsheets and other docs during a draft. However I see it as a better tool for offline or slow drafts and limited keeper drafts. It lacks a deep prospect database for dynasty drafts and during an online draft you'll likely be too busy checking notes and lists (unless the point system matches your scoring exactly) to update the players status and keep the app updated. In addition most online draft tools I've found let you pre-rank players and the draft window will automatically update as players are selected, making the app moot. The major shortcoming is that its purely point based which automatically downranks multi-cat players whose peripherals increase their value. There is no ability to sort value by any scoring category other than total points or even adjust the pre-canned point values. The only work around I see to this within the app is to assign those players to your team in advance and refer to that list periodically.

Overall very solid but potentially very limited depending on your scoring categories and draft type. For the $5 would love to see it fleshed out over time to include more scoring categories and end up being more versatile as a result.
    So all it is is a points-based ranking?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    So all it is is a points-based ranking?
    That is correct.

Dobber Sports Recruit

bought the app yesterday (hockey is back so it is time to get ready for the local draft.

the app is not bad but we lost some functionality from the previous version :

- cannot remove goalies from the lis to change the scoring system (I wonder why the scoring appears to be hardwired?)

- There does not appear to be an update database button (again this would appear to be an normal thing to have in the app - I wonder why its not there?)

overall not a bad app - $5 is less than I recall paying for the app last year

I won the last 3 reg seasons with dobber and last year was the easiest using the previous incarnation of the app.

so, in summary - updates and goalies out are what I want.

easy updates are the most critical.