Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Survivor Pool picks thread

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What to do

Suicide is a lot of luck and hunch. I used chargers, eagles, texans , giants, falcons, vikings, bears, and packers so far....you think Seattle is way to go. Peterson scares me a little...tampa is hot...ravens are my other option

why not atlanta? they are the next biggest favourite after seattle. i think there's value in saving them for week 11, but if not for that reason, they should warrant strong consideration.

I already used Atlanta my choices are limited

Dobber Sports Immortal

My god KC is terrible....

Now I need a Detroit win BIG TIME as my opponent took SD.
    Last edited by hockeyrobot; November 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

I may switch to Det as they are now favored more than Sea. Will wait till Gametime to see final vegas lines

What's your opinion on the ravens game....I'm the only one that has ravens left

Dobber Sports Immortal

Id go for it. They're coming off a bye and have won nine straight against Cleveland. Baltimore is also a team that you should take advantage of using in this pool, and although they do play Oakland next week, there aren't many good options to go with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by egstud19 View Post
    What's your opinion on the ravens game....I'm the only one that has ravens left
    I'm in the exact same boat.
    Contemplating using them this week but I think I'll save them for next week. Likely I'll just check the vegas odds on Sunday before pick deadline to make my final decision.

I don't know what others on my pool have picked, but I assume 30-50% were on San Diego. If the Chargers lost, I would probably pick the Ravens because that would give me a chance to win the pool this week. But since almost assuredly people were on the Chargers and are advancing to next week, I'll save the Ravens so I can be the only one on them next week.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by chowder View Post
    But since almost assuredly people were on the Chargers and are advancing to next week, I'll save the Ravens so I can be the only one on them next week.
    Ok I can kind of understand that philosophy in the early weeks....but we're in week 9. Wouldn't you rather pick the best bet and worry about the rest later? In a week like this, where there aren't many good options, take the best team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Ok I can kind of understand that philosophy in the early weeks....but we're in week 9. Wouldn't you rather pick the best bet and worry about the rest later? In a week like this, where there aren't many good options, take the best team!!!
    For the most part I do agree. But the Ravens aren't the best team this week, so it makes me more comfortable not taking them.

I have the Falcons, Seahawks, and Lions all available and they all have better vegas win odds than the Ravens. I'm not going to pretend to know more about football than the bookmakers, and all the heavy bettors whose large sums move the lines. It's pretty much an efficient market except for a few teams like the Cowboys who the public overbets.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Who is the best team this week then? I mean obviously there are better options but realistically they've all been picked right now right?

Judging solely by Vegas lines from pinnacle it is:

Green Bay.Houston.San Diego...........Detroit.Seattle.Atlanta.Baltimore. Denver

those top 3 teams were much more favored than the next 5. unfortunately i've already used all 3 of them. the next 5 are all very close to each other. There's a fairly significant drop after Denver to the next best team.

Given that those 5 teams are all so close to each other in win odds, although taking the best may seem ideal, I'd also factor in: a) who others in your pool are taking, b) the future value the team may have, c) any hunches or instincts you have.

I try to limit my hunches because I really don't know much about football. If I wanted to go with my hunch I'd take Atlanta because I don't think they will lose. BUT, vegas outweighs my hunch, and Atlanta looks valuable in the near future.

As you said, it is Week 9, so at this point we should be trying to survive and not worrying so much about future value, but when the win odds are so close, I think it is something worth considering.

As I said in a prior post, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on the vegas odds, and likely wont finalize my selection until just before 1est on Sunday.

Dobber Sports Immortal

All I know is if Detroit loses to Jax............Im not going into work Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    All I know is if Detroit loses to Jax............Im not going into work Monday.
    how'd JAX keep it so close at Green Bay last week? I'm leaning towards picking DET but this is worrying me.

Dobber Sports Immortal

If I were you and I had Baltimore available...coming off a bye...Id go with them,.