Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 2012 DobberHockey 3-Tiered Challenge

The Wolverine

Waiver time is a day but just noticed that the waiver processing day is blank.

I've just sent a message to our co-commish directing him to this thread.
    Last edited by horrorfan; October 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Waiver time is a day but just noticed that the waiver processing day is blank.

I've just sent a message to our co-commish directing him to this thread.
    Fixed. "Thursday" was not selected for processing day. You should no longer see "FA".
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Fixed. "Thursday" was not selected for processing day. You should no longer see "FA".
    Thanks Gates. I obviously missed that one during the setup.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Has Thursday been found to be the correct day?

I had set my league up for Wednesdays as under the old system that was the day the results were published, not sure what the difference between Thursday or Wednesday will be except maybe an extra day for guys to get in to edit their rosters?

In saying that i would recommend a Wednesday setting, but again i am not sure what all this affects.

I put the Thursday just to get the waivers rolling instead of FA.

If Wednesday is the better day, that is a quick fix.

Tons of time to figure it out. Maybe one of the pro or expert league could do a test run.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default AVG Draft Position

I spent a little bit of time making a grid of the FOUR DobberEntry leagues.
    This shows the Top50 picks, by average pick.

(I only have the top 60 picks of the Patrick to work with... c'mon league - get me a copy/paste to work with!)

It's kind of neat.
    I made a HIGH-LOW and AVERAGE column.

My first 3 picks are in red and I got them all later than their ADP.

On a later day, I may include the Pro & Expert leagues for comparison.
    I learned to use the VLOOKUP function in Excel for the first time and feel quite smart.

A couple interesting notes:
    1. The top 8 were the top 8 in all four leagues: Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux & Lundqvist/Quick/Rinne.
    2. The #9 pick was completely WILD and inconsistent including Erik Karlsson, Jimmy Howard, and Pat Sharp. I suppose the #9 spot will go down as the toughest draft position of 2012!
    3. Despite not being a consensus #9 pick... Corey Perry was the 9th pick by average: selected at 10th/10th/10th/13th. Those teams must have been salivating for Perry in the 10-spot.
    4. The most consistent range player appears to be Luongo - despite his uncertainty - he was picked in a 15-player range (31-45).

Enjoy.

(EDIT: The column headers for the Adams & Patrick are switched. Needs to be fixed.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM. Reason: WRONG DIVISIONS

The Wolverine

Nice work! Yeah the 9th position is definitely a tough one. As you know I went with Neal in the RHRS but would've been happy with Perry as well, which would fit well into these results.

You must have been very happy to see Parise fall to you in the 3rd round - wow. As you mentioned, Sharp at 9 is way too high. I even think Backes at 18 and Hartnell at 20 are high as well - I know about their multi category strengths but given how easy it is to make up PIM/Hits, a 50-60 point player is not worth that position IMO.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

We had a crazy, crazy, crazy defenseman run (8D in the first 3 rounds) in the Smythe that delayed goalies a bit and some of the upper tier skaters (like Parise).

For example,
    Pietrangelo went 39th in the Smythe. 60th/63rd/73rd in other divisions.
    Phaneuf went 43rd in the Smythe. 63rd/73rd/80th in other divisions.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM.

Very cool. Sending you an email
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Rookie

Well done Pengwin.
    Anyways, I posted the whole draft for the Patrick Division earlier today. Hopefully it's up to par and is useful to you. Your list made me feel a little better about some of my picks and worse about others lol. I just remember it being so scary seeing all the talent pass by, but i couldn't risk getting shutout in the goaltenders. Keep up the good work. I know I appreciate it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I spent a little bit of time making a grid of the FOUR DobberEntry leagues.
    This shows the Top50 picks, by average pick.

(I only have the top 60 picks of the Patrick to work with... c'mon league - get me a copy/paste to work with!)

It's kind of neat.
    I made a HIGH-LOW and AVERAGE column.

My first 3 picks are in red and I got them all later than their ADP.

On a later day, I may include the Pro & Expert leagues for comparison.
    I learned to use the VLOOKUP function in Excel for the first time and feel quite smart.

A couple interesting notes:
    1. The top 8 were the top 8 in all four leagues: Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux & Lundqvist/Quick/Rinne.
    2. The #9 pick was completely WILD and inconsistent including Erik Karlsson, Jimmy Howard, and Pat Sharp. I suppose the #9 spot will go down as the toughest draft position of 2012!
    3. Despite not being a consensus #9 pick... Corey Perry was the 9th pick by average: selected at 10th/10th/10th/13th. Those teams must have been salivating for Perry in the 10-spot.
    4. The most consistent range player appears to be Luongo - despite his uncertainty - he was picked in a 15-player range (31-45).

Enjoy.

(EDIT: The column headers for the Adams & Patrick are switched. Needs to be fixed.)
    Awesome! Thanks, would rep if it would let me; i really enjoy lists like this

The Wolverine

Just wondering if the waiver budget will be adjusted downward depending on the number of games being played or remain the same? I've never played with budgets before so not sure the amount will make a difference (make it less difficult to acquire FA given likely bid amounts) or rather a manager's willingness to adjust their bids upwards given a reduced schedule.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just wondering if the waiver budget will be adjusted downward depending on the number of games being played or remain the same? I've never played with budgets before so not sure the amount will make a difference (make it less difficult to acquire FA given likely bid amounts) or rather a manager's willingness to adjust their bids upwards given a reduced schedule.
    I would guess no.
    We have a team that has already spent $6... and they are at $94. With the other teams having $100 - I'm not sure how it could fairly be redistributed.

It's not really a number that varies directly with statistics or length of season anyways. I mean, you could have $100 for a 10-year league and people might bid pennies on a weekly acquisition. Or you could have a 3-week league with people bidding $40 just to get a Linus Omark.

I think the harder thing is trying to figure out what the mind-set of your opponents will be when there is, say, a breakout waiver player available in the 7th week, say, of a 20 week NHL schedule.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I would guess no.
    We have a team that has already spent $6... and they are at $94. With the other teams having $100 - I'm not sure how it could fairly be redistributed.

It's not really a number that varies directly with statistics or length of season anyways. I mean, you could have $100 for a 10-year league and people might bid pennies on a weekly acquisition. Or you could have a 3-week league with people bidding $40 just to get a Linus Omark.

I think the harder thing is trying to figure out what the mind-set of your opponents will be when there is, say, a breakout waiver player available in the 7th week, say, of a 20 week NHL schedule.
    Yeah that makes sense. I guess I thought that even though some managers have spent money already, I wasn't sure if they would be automatically adjusted like max games have been done. So, for example, 100 would become say 80, but if they had 94 left, they would end up with 73 or so (just guessing). Yahoo does this automatically for max games so wasn't sure if budgets were done the same way. I also just realised that Yahoo would likely have mentioned it on the league page (as they have already re: lockout changes).

But yeah, I can understand that it doesn't need to have an effect based on the number of games being played, rather it would be an adjustment on how much managers would bid on specific players.
    Last edited by horrorfan; October 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM.